Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kudos to Storm Team 8

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Kudos to Storm Team 8

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Bill Steffen and Ellen Bacca advised of the likelihood of a tornado in the Ada Twp area several minutes before the flat footed National Weather Service finally issued a Tornado Warning. (At least a severe t-storm warning had already been issued.)

Their radar product did a terrific job displaying a debris signature that had formed near Egypt Valley.

They also did a terrific job advising their audience of rotating updrafts being detected by radar in the vicinity of Walker and downtown GR.

NewzKiller

Re: Kudos to Storm Team 8

Post by NewzKiller » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 am

Yes they deserve credit and did a nice job. One minor issue on the coverage last night was showing storm damage on a computer screen which was displayed basically a box within the computer. I understand they are getting these videos from viewers but they don't have the tech or capabilities to put them on viewers television screens? Obviously not but then direct viewers to the website for a better look.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Hopefully 13's on-air coverage was better than its online coverage of the storms.

Whereas WOOD-TV's web site was providing real time updates and emphatically mentioned a Tornado Warning for eastern Kent and Ionia Counties on the home page, I saw no such headlines anywhere on the WZZM home page.

(In fairness to WZZM, I did not check their Facebook or Twitter feeds.)

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:55 pm

I was watching the web sites for 3, 8, 13 and 17 while watching channel 8 on TV. Channel 8's web site was the only one that made the tornado warning their top news story on the home page. The others had links to severe weather information on their home page, but if you didn't explore those links, you didn't know how serious it was.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Looks like NWS says that it was straight-line winds and not a tornado the damage was done either way. Wood TV did a good job with the storm coverage watched some of it but since I didn't live in the area that got hit just watched MLB on ESPN.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic