Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDIV delaying today's Tonight Show Episode.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
F-Squared

WDIV delaying today's Tonight Show Episode.

Post by F-Squared » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm

In case you didn't hear, Fallon is going to be doing Tonight Show episodes right after football games on Sundays now. WDIV will be tape-delaying today's episode because news is on immediately after the game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Splouge

Re: WDIV delaying today's Tonight Show Episode.

Post by Splouge » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:32 pm

I don't watch The Tonight Show. But still, WDIV is a joke.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Johnny Carson, along with Ed McMahon, and Doc Severinsen was The Tonight Show, nothing else ever came close....

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:02 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:Johnny Carson, along with Ed McMahon, and Doc Severinsen was The Tonight Show, nothing else ever came close....
I'll drink to that! (except I'm not 21 so I won't)

DAC

Post by DAC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:30 pm

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 pm
Johnny Carson, along with Ed McMahon, and Doc Severinsen was The Tonight Show, nothing else ever came close....
I would have agreed with you up until seeing how poorly Johnny's shows have aged in reruns (MeTV? Not sure which network was running them). I think Fallon does a fine job for a 2019 audience. To the best of my knowledge, all NBC affiliates ran the local news prior to Sunday's "Tonight Show."

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:32 pm

DAC wrote:
lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 pm
I would have agreed with you up until seeing how poorly Johnny's shows have aged in reruns (MeTV? Not sure which network was running them). I think Fallon does a fine job for a 2019 audience. To the best of my knowledge, all NBC affiliates ran the local news prior to Sunday's "Tonight Show."
Idk I think Fallon would have been better if he stopped being so gimmicky because frankly it's kinda gotten old imo. I still watch his shows anyway just because I'm waiting for Seth Meyers to come on.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I myself have always felt skip the news and go right into Fallon or Kimmel when a game runs really late. Anyone that's interested in news or sports has already switched over to a station that did it at 11. Truly feel the advertisers should know better than to think nearly as many people are watching at 12:30, as would of been at 11:30.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 pm

F-Squared wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm
In case you didn't hear, Fallon is going to be doing Tonight Show episodes right after football games on Sundays now. WDIV will be tape-delaying today's episode because news is on immediately after the game.
WDIV didn't delay anything. NBC has scheduled the Sunday night Tonight Shows to air after local news.

From Deadline:
"The broadcasts, which NBC is calling “a late-night first,” will air following late local news."

And there are only supposed to be five shows.
Circle Seven wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:55 pm
I myself have always felt skip the news and go right into Fallon or Kimmel when a game runs really late. Anyone that's interested in news or sports has already switched over to a station that did it at 11. Truly feel the advertisers should know better than to think nearly as many people are watching at 12:30, as would of been at 11:30.
SNF got the largest audiance of the night and probably the week (NBC got over 22 million for Sunday Night Football). Why are you going to thow away all of your local spots that would be in your newscast???
The trend has always been that a significant portion of the audiance carries over into the next program after a big sporting event. You see it after every Superbowl.

NBC just helped their affiliates by paying to produce a Sunday night Tonight Show that the affiliates can use their local news as a bridge to. Those local spots were probably sold at a premium or at least higher then the average Sunday night outside the NFL season.

The game was a blow-out (Patriots over Steelers 33-3) but, Tom Brady was playing and it was the season opener.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 pm

JackAttack FM wrote:
F-Squared wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:10 pm
WDIV didn't delay anything. NBC has scheduled the Sunday night Tonight Shows to air after local news.

From Deadline:
"The broadcasts, which NBC is calling “a late-night first,” will air following late local news."

And there are only supposed to be five shows.
I thought it was 11:30. Thanks for clarifying

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:34 pm

So it's back to the future for NBC. Early on in the Carson era, they reran the Tonight Show on Saturdays and Sundays; a contract renegotiation in 1975 ended the Saturday reruns and necessitated the creation of SNL.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic