Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan football - predictions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Michigan football - predictions

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:35 pm

This team looks a lot like last year's team, except so far, the defense doesn't seem to be playing as effectively as one year ago.

I predict 8 or 9 wins and a trip to a largely meaningless postseason bowl game. The Wolverines will finish anywhere from second to fourth in the Big Ten East.

Shea Patterson had a slow start last season, and history seems to be repeating itself this season.

Michigan's running game looks like garbage. This is a flawed team. The fact they are currently ranked #7 in the AP poll is a joke.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Michigan football - predictions

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:02 pm

Maryland looks scary right now. Holy shit. Early in the third quarter, they've already put up 49 points (!!!) on Syracuse. This comes on the heels of defeating Howard University 79 - zip.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:46 pm

I see a nationally contending team. They faced extreme adversity today and came away victorious.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Extreme adversity...at home...from an unranked opponent. Michigan won because Army's field goal kicker sucks.

BTW, does being down by 7 points much of the game even qualify as extreme adversity?

What happens if Michigan falls behind by 14 to a team who's really good?!?!

Zero running game. Simply an OK offensive line. No decent WR options with People-Jones out. Defense not as potent as last year's.

The team will win its usual 8 or 9 games under Harbaugh (I'm perhaps being generous awarding them *that* many victories) and will be nothing special.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 pm

How did Oklahoma do last year? Did they play Army? If they did, how did that go?

How is 8 or 9 games usual when the average is 9.5?

Edit: Is 9.5 wins better than the 6.5 win average the 7 years before Harbaugh?

I'm strongly in the camp that the rebuild was much more of an arduous task than moat recognized, and it is progressing.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

I'm unsure if progression is still occurring. Last season was Harbaugh's weakest in terms of W-L record. The program seemed to take a step backward.

This program was supposed to be an annual strong contender for Big Ten supremacy by now. Penn State is no less a threat to OSU than Michigan is. Some would argue Penn State's program is in better shape.

Yes, Harbaugh is much better than Barbrady Hoke and significantly better than Rich Rod. But c'mon, that bar isn't exactly high!

In terms of the "camp" you now profess to be in, weren't you predicting big things (i.e. Big Ten East titles, victories against OSU) over the past few seasons?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm
I'm unsure where the progression is occurring. Last season was Harbaugh's weakest in terms of W-L record. The program seemed to take a step backward.

This program was supposed to be an annual strong contender for Big Ten supremacy by now. Penn State is no less a threat to OSU than Michigan is.
Wrong. Last year they were 10-3, just like 2015 and 2016. 2017 was 8-5.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:30 pm

How did Oklahoma do last year?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm

My bad. My memory fails me at times. I'm getting old.

Oklahoma had a great season. They struggled mightily to defeat Army, of course.

How do you think that team would've fared against Middle Tennessee State in Norman?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:46 pm
I see a nationally contending team. They faced extreme adversity today and came away victorious.
I don't know what you're smoking but it is clearly causing hallucinations. Michigan was a 22.5 point favorite and barely won in 2x OT.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:39 pm

I would be remiss if I didn't call out Harbaugh for refusing to put his field goal unit on the field on a 4th & 2 about halfway into the fourth quarter.

TERRIBLE decision.

Patterson, of course, was sacked for a loss on the ensuing play and Michigan turned the ball over on downs.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:35 pm
Matt wrote:
I don't know what you're smoking but it is clearly causing hallucinations. Michigan was a 22.5 point favorite and barely won in 2x OT.
Oklahoma was favored AT HOME by 28.5. Did Oklahoma have a legit TD blown dead? I'll hang up and listen.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 pm

There's a lot of season still ahead. To be fair, there were years under Urban Meyer when OSU looked not-so-hot against unranked opponents.

Perhaps my skepticism is unwarranted.

I was just expecting a LOT more out of Michigan's offense today.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm
bmw wrote:
Matt wrote:
Oklahoma was favored AT HOME by 28.5. Did Oklahoma have a legit TD blown dead? I'll hang up and listen.
It will be a moot point when they lose to Wisconsin next week by double digits.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:02 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm
bmw wrote:
Matt wrote:
It will be a moot point when they lose to Wisconsin next week by double digits.
Yes, it will.

Oh right, Michigan has a bye next week.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:51 pm
There's a lot of season still ahead. To be fair, there were years under Urban Meyer when OSU looked not-so-hot against unranked opponents.

Perhaps my skepticism is unwarranted.

I was just expecting a LOT more out of Michigan's offense today.
When does Michigan play a similar offense to what they faced today? Do you think they'll continue fumbling AND losing fumbles at the current rate?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic