Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Plant Based Meat Substitute Products

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Turkeytop

Plant Based Meat Substitute Products

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Have any of you tried any of these? In the supermarket today, the lady was cooking up patties of these products then cutting them up into small pieces and passing out samples to the customers.

I tried a couple of different ones. They were OK. They were sort of appetizing, in their own way. But they bore zero resemblance to meat in either flavour or texture. They each just tasted like the vegetable from which they had been made. Beans, peas, rhubarb etc..

They might be OK as a side dish with my meat. But I would never eat them instead of meat.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Turkeytop

Re: Plant Based Meat Substitute Products

Post by Turkeytop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:15 pm

Lady in COSTCO was cooking some to give out as samples. There wasn't exactly a long lineup waiting to try them. Just me and a kid ahead of me about ten years old.

I pointed out to him, "Look. You can see all the pieces of peas and carrots in it."

"Yuk" the kid said and took off.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Some years ago, Burger King rolled out a Veggie Burger. Not related to today's Impossible Whopper, it received about the same amount of fanfare and media attention as the new Impossible Whopper upon its introduction. I love hamburgers and thought it might be a self-indulgent way to save a few calories, so I gave one a try.

After one bite, I had to go back up to the counter for some extra mayonnaise to make it palatable. it was absolutely unsatisfying and a completely inadequate substitute for an actual hamburger.

As for the Impossible Whopper...I am holding off on trying one until they can be had at a discount, as I fully expect to be disappointed again.

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:53 pm

As far as meat substitutes in general go: the frugal Canadian inside of me can't wrap my head around meat substitutes costing more to buy than actual meat when they should cost much less to produce.

If you've ever had good Falafel at a Middle Eastern restaurant, you know exactly what I mean--it's a tasty, cheap, and thoroughly satisfying alternative to meat. A Morningstar Farms Harvest Burger should be all that and more, but it absolutely misses the mark for me.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:06 am

Inspired by this thread, I ordered my first-ever Impossible Burger yesterday for lunch, albeit for $15 at the rather upscale River Crab north of St. Clair. It came with nothing but fries, but looked H*** and was topped with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and avocado salsa. I was hungry and wolfed it down. It wasn't bad, but I doubt I'd order it again. However, the Dynamite Scallops as an appetizer ($14.50) are to die for!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Also inspired by this thread, I hit the local Burger King earlier today for an Impossible Whopper. It was surprisingly good with a flavor and moisture content more suggestive of a venison burger than a beef burger--and that's fine by me.

Would I get another one? Absolutely! I'll get my next one with extra ketchup, pickles, and onions; it should be perfect.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:28 pm

WC8KCY wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Also inspired by this thread, I hit the local Burger King earlier today for an Impossible Whopper. It was surprisingly good with a flavor and moisture content more suggestive of a venison burger than a beef burger--and that's fine by me.

Would I get another one? Absolutely! I'll get my next one with extra ketchup, pickles, and onions; it should be perfect.
White Castle has one that's incredible. I haven't been to a fast food place in years until a few weeks ago.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:24 pm

I had a couple samples of some kind of "nugget" at the DJF. I wouldn't seek it out but wouldn't refuse it if offered.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:43 am

I tried BK's Impossible Whopper just out of curiosity. Personally I thought it was pretty good. The only difference I could tell was the texture is a little lighter than its meat-based counterpart. Other than that I think they nailed the taste. I'd order it again, except next time with cheese (ain't goin' totally vegan).

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic