Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

City Shopping

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
fuzzpower

Re: City Shopping

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:54 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:49 am
Interesting. GR, Never really considered it, honestly the jewel of Michigan
Grand Rapids is overrated. If given a choice like you have, I would not live in Michigan.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:29 am

Im planning a trip to the Knoxville area in a few months. I cannot physically or mentally handle the midwest winters. Knoxville gets a little cold and there is some snow, but not as much. Its also cheaper but at the same time, unemployment rates arent bad. About 3% in area communities. Its a calmer, slower pace.

I really wanted to live in north Texas, like DFW or Denton. But that area has gotten too expensive and congested. I dont want to deal with traffic.
I like what ive heard about Virginia Beach. Moderate temperatures, very low unemployment, lower crime rate. But also chaotic traffic and high cost of living. Also, the governors infanticide policy doesnt sit well with me.
Nashville is way too expensive now.
Atlanta is too busy and congested.
Basically, i want to live in a low-stress area, including not spending too much on rent, with less snow. Knoxville is the only place so far that I might be able to pull off. Im actually looking more towards Anderson or Blount counties.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:34 am

Agree about Atlanta, especially on the Perimeter. It’s almost Chicago level traffic.

Only driven through Nashville, so can’t really comment,

Virginia Beach seemed nice, but expensive. There are quite a few Naval officers there and in Norfolk (which is a dump, but hey, they have mermaid statues all over the city!)

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:54 pm

I really liked Lexington, the traffic was a little more then I would have liked though but nice place. Knoxville is one of my next stops, TN has no income tax, on earned income. No Vehicle inspections. Nashville is off the charts, so no. TX is way over crowded in those areas . NO.

My Cousin lives in Richmond VA or in the surrounding area, he seems to like it. He's flat out said he's never coming back to MI. GR, Yeah I really don't care to live in MI again. Car Insurance and how piss poor the state is run in general. I too want a similar cost of living to NW Ohio but less BS and drama.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:43 am

I have only driven through Richmond, so can’t give a real opinion. As Virginia goes, stay away from the DC area. Very expensive and bad traffic.

North Carolina is a fast growing state, especially in and around Charlotte, but I haven’t spent much time there.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:16 am

NC, I like Ashville but it's high $$$, nearby, Hendersonville is nice but lack of jobs in that area. I've never been to the middle of the state, just extreme west and to Wilmington. I really like Wilmington but... I can't deal with the idea of having to evacuate during a hurricane or a hurricane in general.

I have a feeling Charlotte is going to become expensive. VA as a whole, not interested. South Carolina, I've been though Columbia on the E-way but have honestly never stopped there.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Just got back from The Buffalo-Niagara Falls Metro area.

Buffalo, is pretty much the story of a lot of Midwestish type citys. Some are slowly coming back but its a hard slog. I didn't venture into The City Proper really but looked at a few surrounding towns.

I stayed in Niagara Falls, on the NY side, I don't have a passport so going to Canada was not an option.

Niagara falls, wasn't too swift but I knew it wouldn't be. So, I very much liked Wheatfield, Amhurst , and Amherst were ok. . Tonawanda seemed to be where a lot of the stuff was, all those towns above kind of all run together. I drove out to Lancaster too.

Maybe it was just me, but the air seemed better there. My allergies weren't bugging me as bad I can't say it was the most trendy or hippest place but it was an upgrade from Toledo Ohio or Dayton Ohio. I kinda digged it but on the fence about it.

So, I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with Erie PA? As far as living there?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Funny, I was just in Niagara Falls- on the Ontario side. Other than the touristy area it’s nothing to write home about. St. Catharines is a mess.

I’ve visited Erie but never lived there. I do know parts of it are horrible, the east side I believe. They are trying to redevelop the waterfront, like so many rust belt cities. Downtown is a mix of good and bad, plus a college. I didn’t visit the suburbs.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 pm

I really wanted to live in north Texas, like DFW or Denton. But that area has gotten too expensive and congested. I dont want to deal with traffic.
I like what ive heard about Virginia Beach. Moderate temperatures, very low unemployment, lower crime rate. But also chaotic traffic and high cost of living. Also, the governors infanticide policy doesnt sit well with me.
Nashville is way too expensive now.
Atlanta is too busy and congested.
Basically, i want to live in a low-stress area, including not spending too much on rent, with less snow. Knoxville is the only place so far that I might be able to pull off. Im actually looking more towards Anderson or Blount counties.
Knoxville is good!

I would also recommend Louisville, KY and the Piedmont Triad region of North Carolina (Greensboro / High Point / Winston-Salem).

If you like Atlanta weather but not Atlanta traffic or real estate prices and can tolerate a smaller city, Chattanooga is also worth a look. Chattanooga is only a 120 mile drive from downtown Atlanta.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:23 pm

My next trip will likely be Knoxville, sometime after The Holidays. Never been to Louisville honestly.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:19 am

I’ve driven through Louisville a few times, but never stopped. It’s a fairly large city. I spend time in Indianapolis every year; I need to make time and explore it, it’s only two hours south. It’s also only two hours from Cincinnati, so you have a triangle of three decent sized cities to see events and hang out.

I’ve always liked Indianapolis, but I realize they have problems just like every other major city. One of the bartenders I usually end up running into lives downtown and bikes to work. He loves it.

My aunt and uncle lived near Nashville and used to rave about Chattanooga. They used to go quite a bit. I’ve only driven near it via I-75.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Chattanooga has great attractions for the family and for tourists (Lookout Mountain and a pretty nice freshwater aquarium in downtown), is conveniently situated between Atlanta and Nashville, and has plenty of affordable housing.

However, there are some high crime neighborhoods in the city, so do plenty of research if you consider moving there!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:19 pm

I'll add another southern city to the list - Huntsville, AL.

Moving to Huntsville comes with its risks. The city is prone to devastating tornadoes.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:26 am

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 am
I wasn't considering the city proper, like a suburb. Like Amherst, Tonawanda or something like that. Unlike Toledo, Buffalo has a real functioning airport. They have stuff Toledo doesn't have. Like, in Toledo to get anything cool or different you have to go up to the Detroit area or go to Columbus.

Home prices are kinda NW ohio, The tax thing I would have to take into consideration. NY does vehicle inspections too. KY on the other hand, is a fairly cheap state. A lot to consider though.
Isn't that Love Canal?

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:23 am

Couldn't take the heat in AL and Tornado's NO! Not familiar with that above.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic