Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fenech Banned

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 24

Re: Fenech Banned

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 am

Anybody who's been a journalist for more than 20 minutes knows that there will be people you want to interview who won't want to talk to you. There's nothing you can do about that.

The corollary to that, though, is that you can't pick who decides to cover you if the media finds you worth covering. I think the Astros will be fined for this; I wouldn't be surprised if it went to six figures. It's a clear, admitted violation of the collective bargaining agreement.

I don't know why Verlander has a beef with Fenech. Until at least one of them goes public with the history of it, it's all speculation not worth discussing. And Verlander is not obligated to talk to him. But JV needs to develop a thicker skin.

It was more fun back when a player would dump a bucket of ice water on a journalist who they didn't like.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 am

It was more fun back when a player would dump a bucket of ice water on a journalist who they didn't like.
So you're advocating assault? Hopefully somebody does that to you in your workplace and you can have "fun"

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:35 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:24 am

So you're advocating assault? Hopefully somebody does that to you in your workplace and you can have "fun"

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Herm wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:16 am
Sports “journalism” is going in the shitter. Long gone are the journalists who want to cover the sport and provide insight. We live in a world now where jealous wanna be celebrities would rather make predictions and provoke athletes into controversy for the lowest price possible.
That being said, you still have to let the guy in the room to attempt to do his job. Call him out publicly for his unethical behavior or just straight up stiff him on his questions... but you have to let him in the room to do the job, even if he sucks at the job... and at life.
You apparently know nothing about today's media world. It's the bosses who want predictions and controversial things that get their precious page views. You honestly don't think reporters would rather report than do some of the nonsense they're told to do? And I don't know any reporters who are "jealous" or "wanna be" celebrities. YOU sound jealous you don't get to hob-nob with your heroes.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:48 pm

Chris Thomas - sports editor for the Free Press - finally offered a detailed explanation of the history between Verlander and Fenech.

Assuming Thomas' portrayal is accurate, I'd have to say (i) JV is very paranoid and (ii) Fenech acted within reason in the performance of his duties.

So, unless JV's camp can muster an effective counterargument, I'm going to side with Fenech and the Free Press.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:11 pm

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:48 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:48 pm
Chris Thomas - sports editor for the Free Press - finally offered a detailed explanation of the history between Verlander and Fenech.

Assuming Thomas' portrayal is accurate, I'd have to say (i) JV is very paranoid and (ii) Fenech acted within reason in the performance of his duties.

So, unless JV's camp can muster an effective counterargument, I'm going to side with Fenech and the Free Press.
Is it correct, or just a example of defending a colleague and employer no matter what, even if it isn’t true?

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:38 pm
Herm wrote:
Sports “journalism” is going in the shitter. Long gone are the journalists who want to cover the sport and provide insight. We live in a world now where jealous wanna be celebrities would rather make predictions and provoke athletes into controversy for the lowest price possible.
That being said, you still have to let the guy in the room to attempt to do his job. Call him out publicly for his unethical behavior or just straight up stiff him on his questions... but you have to let him in the room to do the job, even if he sucks at the job... and at life.
You apparently know nothing about today's media world. It's the bosses who want predictions and controversial things that get their precious page views. You honestly don't think reporters would rather report than do some of the nonsense they're told to do? And I don't know any reporters who are "jealous" or "wanna be" celebrities. YOU sound jealous you don't get to hob-nob with your heroes.
My entire professional life is today’s media world.
I’ve come across plenty of sports writers who are more interested in making pro athlete’s look bad because they either a) got pushed into too many lockers when they were in high school or b) wanted to make the team but couldn’t cut it and many of those same sports writers would much rather BE the story than TELL the story.
How exactly do I sound jealous? That’s laughable. I’ve been around many high profile athletes in my career and personal life. I wouldn’t call any of them my heroes... except Dave Bergman. That guy was one of the greatest men I’ve ever known.

Andy Sipowicz

Post by Andy Sipowicz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Herm wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 pm
Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Herm wrote:
I’ve come across plenty of sports writers who are more interested in making pro athlete’s look bad because they either a) got pushed into too many lockers when they were in high school or b) wanted to make the team but couldn’t cut it and many of those same sports writers would much rather BE the story than TELL the story.
How exactly do I sound jealous? That’s laughable. I’ve been around many high profile athletes in my career and personal life. I wouldn’t call any of them my heroes... except Dave Bergman. That guy was one of the greatest men I’ve ever known.
Your reply is ridiculous. I know of no one at my high school (many years ago) who was pushed into a locker by an athlete or anyone else. (And yes, I played sports and was friends with all the top athletes.) You're talking cliches, Herm. Which writers are you specifically talking about who want to be the story rather than tell it? I'm not defending Fenech here, I'm defending the profession. Verlander started the whole controversy. If he had any balls, he'd say what caused him to have Fenech banned. Instead, he flexes his muscles and stays silent. That's gutless. And I'd say the same thing if Fenech wrote a critical column saying Verlander treated him like a jerk without explaining why.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:21 am

Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 pm
Herm wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:16 pm
Andy Sipowicz wrote:
Herm wrote:
Your reply is ridiculous. I know of no one at my high school (many years ago) who was pushed into a locker by an athlete or anyone else. (And yes, I played sports and was friends with all the top athletes.) You're talking cliches, Herm. Which writers are you specifically talking about who want to be the story rather than tell it? I'm not defending Fenech here, I'm defending the profession. Verlander started the whole controversy. If he had any balls, he'd say what caused him to have Fenech banned. Instead, he flexes his muscles and stays silent. That's gutless. And I'd say the same thing if Fenech wrote a critical column saying Verlander treated him like a jerk without explaining why.
Opinions vary.
I’m not defending how Verlander and the Astros handled this situation. I actually agree with you on one thing, if Verlander has some kind of beef, he and the Astros would have been better off to just allow the guy into the clubhouse with the rest of the press and then Verlander could have called him out or simply ignored his questions.

Daenerys

Post by Daenerys » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm

The guy who takes nude post sex selfies is suddenly worried about privacy?

Whatever you think of Fenech, the Free Press just can't not send him to do his job because one athlete doesn't like him. The access laws were put in to place when teams would deny access to women reporters. Freedom of the Press is actually a good thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic