Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Can't Get WADL over Antenna

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
drew10219

Can't Get WADL over Antenna

Post by drew10219 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:09 am

I just installed a new HD Stacker Antenna, I live in the Bloomfield Area very close to Southfield

Fox 2 comes in great along with all the sub channels. I get everything else on UHF except for 38.. any ideas?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Can't Get WADL over Antenna

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:14 am

Yeah. Rotate the antenna so that the elements are facing in a different direction.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:59 am

thanks. I thought their tower was in Southfield. is it really in Mt Clemens?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:24 am

It's located in Clinton Township near 15 Mile Rd & Gratiot Ave. You can easily see it from I-94 on that side of town.

My guess is RF overload from the Southfield stations might also be preventing you from picking up TV-38. The HD Stacker is optimized for areas that are 30+ miles away from the major broadcast towers.

Are you able to pick up channel 9 and channel 32 from Windsor in the antenna's current orientation? If so, the more you rotate the antenna, the greater your chance of losing those two channels.

You're not running the thing with an amplifier, are you? (If so, remove it! No further adjustment may be necessary.)

If you are near 14 Mile & Telegraph, my suggestion would be to aim the elements to the east-southeast. This should improve your odds of getting a clean signal from 38 while maximizing your chances of not losing the Windsor channels.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:50 pm

The stacker antennas (if it’s the one I am thinking of) are junk. A friend of mine replaced his old Channel Master with one, and reception was worse. Fewer channels and more dropouts.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Stacker looks to highly directional, so if you're pointed toward the Southfield antenna farm, you'll probably need a rotor to point it toward Clinton Twp. when you want to need it. Might not be a compromise rotational position to give you both. I have an 8-bay (dual 4-bay) hinged bow tie screen and need to have one of the panels aimed northeast just for WADL, and the other to the northwest for the rest. Also have a VHF dipole combined with it, for WJBK, and for CBET, which, fortunately, is 180 deg away from JBK.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 am

He is so close to the Southfield TX sites, I'd be surprised if he encounters any issues. The farthest big stations are WWJ-TV, WMYD and WTVS. Those stations are SE of his location. An ESE orientation should work, IMO.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:10 am

I get WADL from 40 miles away. They have a very powerful signal. HDB91X antenna indoors and on the east side of the house. They are just enuff off from Southfield I run 2 antenna systems. One aiming at Southfield directly and one aiming at Mount Clemens. With the two antennas I get good signal on all of the Detroit majors.

My two longest shots are WADL and WTVG in Toledo, both about 41 miles. I like WTVG. It gets me another ABC and CW, WeatherNation and ION all in a small package.

We will see on WADL after repack in March, though...

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 am

Under the old analog rules, any pair of UHF TV stations 14 or 15 channels apart had to be very far apart from each other (not because they directly interfered with each other, rather because they would cause intermodulation within the receiver, or because the local oscillator if one set would interfere with another TV set).

Tuner design has changed, and DTV has neither an audio carrier, nor a true video carrier, rather a far weaker pilot signal.

As I said here before, I'm thinking WADL could perhaps move into the SE Oakland tower farm, if they were to use a Directional antenna.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic