Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Now we know where WQAN was broadcasting from!

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TC Talks

Re: Now we know where WQAN was broadcasting from!

Post by TC Talks » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:31 pm

I think you will be disappointed

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:30 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm
He made a "donation" of $50,000 and lost his CP over the 95.9 license over a decade ago. But that was a result of filing false paperwork to meet a deadline.

When he started using STL frequencies licensed to Interlochen, there was no penalty.

In this case, he didn't mislead the fcc, he just started broadcasting from a new site. I am suspicious and think there could be no punitive action. His lawyer has a better relationship with the commission than agents are.
Broadcasters don't just up and sign on a radio station from a new location for the hell of it. They have to get authorization to transmit at X location and THEN proceed with it.

Why should Roy get preferential treatment?

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:52 am

Not why, (life's not fair, that's why) but how...

A good lawyer can make problems disappear. Henderson has been working on a move in since he bought the stations. Do you think someone who has spent as much as he has on legal fees can't afford to fix his transmitters?

He's a horrible business man but he understands how to work the fcc

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:02 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:52 am

A good lawyer can make problems disappear. Henderson has been working on a move in since he bought the stations. Do you think someone who has spent as much as he has on legal fees can't afford to fix his transmitters?

It sure as hell didn’t work for Sinclair last year when they got caught lying to the FCC about plans to “divest” soon-to-be-purchased WGN-TV (as a side deal connected to their planned merger with Tribune Media) to a shell company that wasn’t defined as such. That shell company was revealed by the Chicago Tribune to be controlled by a Baltimore auto dealership that was close friends with Sinclair CEO David Smith ... like WEYI being “owned” by D-list pundit Armstrong Williams, but the WEYI “sale” was defined right out of the gate.

David Smith has the capacity to hire an army of lawyers and had a good friend installed as the FCC chairman (who reimplemented the “UHF Discount” for the sole purpose of getting the Sinclair-Tribune merger through in the first place). And that good friend wound up going along with the rest of the commissioners in referring Sinclair to an administrative law judge; days later, the Tribune Broadcasting deal was called off completely. Which makes it all the more stunning. Sinclair still hasn’t formally been cleared and technically cannot buy or sell any terrestrial stations until that happens.

So no, a good lawyer(s) is not a 100% “get out of jail” card. And again, why would a two-bit owner like Roy get preferential treatment when a massive conglomerate with every advantage at their disposal got the hammer?

If Roy somehow gets off, the screaming from Hunt Valley, Maryland will be heard loud and clear in Traverse City.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 pm

TC Talks wrote:

Very good at finding ways to upgrade stations, especially in Texas (I think he made millions on a couple of his move-ins into major metro areas)

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Very good at finding ways to upgrade stations, especially in Texas (I think he made millions on a couple of his move-ins into major metro areas)
If you have a nose for these things, and have an engineer friend or two on your side, magic can happen. Look at all the move-ins Randy Michaels engineered in Ohio on behalf of Clear Channel.

Do it legally and by the book and you won't get into any trouble.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:16 pm

As of 5:30 tonight I was listening to the lp signal from WLDR's tower fighting with the Benzie County signal. They're running both now.

How woukd I file a complaint with the FCC?

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:16 pm
As of 5:30 tonight I was listening to the lp signal from WLDR's tower fighting with the Benzie County signal. They're running both now.

How woukd I file a complaint with the FCC?
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm

From what I heard, Dave Schaberg is no longer with us. Mr. Schaberg came up with some of the upgrade plans. Not to diminish what he did accomplish, many were WAY too complicated, though, inviting a lot of Petitions to Deny and such. Henderson HAD a C2 CP for WQAN, which put a solid signal over Traverse City. But apparently, he wanted a Class C1 and let it expire. My philosophy is that a CP for a C2 in the hand near the center of population to be served is worth at least two C1 APPs in the bush, like those rimshot C1s that barely cover the COL. Often even a few Class As in each center of population is better than a C1 coming into several population centers in different directions. And the As don't have nearly the allotment footprint, so you might be able to fit a few in where only one C1 fits.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:50 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm
From what I heard, Dave Schaberg is no longer with us. Mr. Schaberg came up with some of the upgrade plans. Not to diminish what he did accomplish, many were WAY too complicated, though, inviting a lot of Petitions to Deny and such. Henderson HAD a C2 CP for WQAN, which put a solid signal over Traverse City. But apparently, he wanted a Class C1 and let it expire. My philosophy is that a CP for a C2 in the hand near the center of population to be served is worth at least two C1 APPs in the bush, like those rimshot C1s that barely cover the COL. Often even a few Class As in each center of population is better than a C1 coming into several population centers in different directions. And the As don't have nearly the allotment footprint, so you might be able to fit a few in where only one C1 fits.
If the WQAN CP had been built out, it would have become only the second commercial station (103.5 WTCM) and the third overall (88.7 WIAA) to put a 60dBu signal over Traverse City, Cadillac, and Manistee

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:08 am

1 AM Sunday,99.3 here in TC is WATZ Alpena.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:23 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:50 pm
CK-722 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm
If the WQAN CP had been built out, it would have become only the second commercial station (103.5 WTCM) and the third overall (88.7 WIAA) to put a 60dBu signal over Traverse City, Cadillac, and Manistee
There's not much use putting a 60 dBu over areas that already receive quite a few 70 dBu signals. If you look at population scattergrams, you'll see that the largest numbers of people live within a few miles of a large body of water or river. These are also at the lowest elevation areas in a region. If a TL is at higher elevation, quite a few miles inland, it doesn't reach the coastal areas well, as they are usually shadowed. It would be better to have Class As in three cities. The signals would be much stronger. That's also why you see a lot of FM translators in those cities.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:43 pm

They had this CP for Class C2. Why didn't they build it?

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid= ... 654986&i=2

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:43 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:43 pm
They had this CP for Class C2. Why didn't they build it?

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid= ... 654986&i=2
Roy never owned any land over there to build on. Not to speak in cliches, but that CP was nothing more than a line drawn in the sand. :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic