Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

City Shopping

A place to talk about any topic on your mind (non-broadcasting related). General conversation.
Deleted User 14990

City Shopping

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 pm

This topic came up on here, before the big data wipeout some months back. I had started a topic about if anyone on here was from Missouri, some time ago. Anyhow, I remember another poster starting a topic about how bored he was living in Michigan. Stated, he was tired of the beat up roads, the weather, and the whole scene.

So, I thought I would restart things. A little background, I grew up in Monroe county Michigan. I lived there until 2005, when I moved not too far away to Ohio. I lived in Toledo, Findlay for a time, and have been in Perrysburg(south of Toledo) for about 10 years. I've wanted to leave the area for quite sometime but there have been a lot of hurdles in my mind. Leaving a decent paying job even though I hate it, selling a home, trying to find another job without a college degree, having some health issues I am on medication for, and some other things.

Over the past year, I've been really depressed. I had to seek some help for a time and had a leave from work because of it. I changed departments about a month ago and I am not sure what it was, but I've snapped out of it at last. So, getting to the point, I don't want to live in The Toledo area anymore. The bad attitudes, lack of growth, incompentant leaders, nothing to do, and everyone seems to hang onto "some old used to be". At the sametime, anything new is met with scorn and resistance. I know all places have problems but this area is stuck on stupid.

I've decided to start city shopping. I want to have a similar cost of living, not someplace too radically different but something different then what I got now. I want to be a distance but still be able to get back to the Toledo area, if something happened where my family would need me. Here is my list so far:

1. Lexington KY- Visited

Overall I liked the town, despite KY's bad reputation as a state. Decent looking downtown, some affluent areas and some more middle class. A cross between College and a smaller major city. The winters are not quite as hard as northern ohio. cost of living is about on par with where I am at now. State Government is socially backwards.

2. Fort Wayne IN- Visited

It was better then Toledo or Flint, It was a bit bland to me. Not an awful place but just didn't come off as someplace I want to live.

3. Buffalo NY/Niagara Fall metro area- I have been around there once but its been years ago, I know nothing about the area other then visiting the falls. Reviews I've read online have mentioned affordable living despite NY's taxes. State government is quite progressive on social issues, i.e LGBTQ issues. Yes, western NY gets a lot of snow.

4. Knoxville TN- I've driven through the area on 75 and i-640. Stayed the night there a few times on the way to south carolina. Read some good things but need more information.

5. Gainsville FL- Collegetown, inland so cost of living isn't too high and not having to evacuate during a hurricane is a plus. No Income tax in FL. Summers would suck however! Not a big summer fan but would like the winters.

6. ? sort of leaving this one open.

fuzzpower

Re: City Shopping

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:40 pm

The only city on that list I have really spent any time in is Fort Wayne. It reminds me a lot of Toledo. The downtown is fairly abandoned, or it was two years ago at least. Freeway system sucks (no freeway running east-west through the city. You aren’t too far from Indianapolis, a city I have always enjoyed visiting. They have a minor league baseball and hockey team.

New York State costs a fortune to live in. Taxes are sky high. Buffalo has a high crime rate.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Buffalo N.Y. makes Perrysberg look like Paradise.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 am

I wasn't considering the city proper, like a suburb. Like Amherst, Tonawanda or something like that. Unlike Toledo, Buffalo has a real functioning airport. They have stuff Toledo doesn't have. Like, in Toledo to get anything cool or different you have to go up to the Detroit area or go to Columbus.

Home prices are kinda NW ohio, The tax thing I would have to take into consideration. NY does vehicle inspections too. KY on the other hand, is a fairly cheap state. A lot to consider though.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 am

I liked Hot Springs when I visited.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 pm

How far are you willing to move? You said you don’t like hot, so that rules out Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc.

Wichita isn’t too exciting, but it has what you need and is a decent place to “settle down”.

Have you given the Indianapolis area some thought?

I wouldn’t touch Portland with a ten foot pole, unless you like homeless, drugs, and rain.

I liked Denver and Colorado Springs, but don’t think I would want to deal with the winter snow, though the locals told me it melts fairly quickly.

I’ve done a lot of traveling, so hopefully I can help.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Co Sprgs shouldn't get nearly as much as Denver.

Lightning is impressive there, ok maybe just scary.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm

audiophile wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:41 pm
Co Sprgs shouldn't get nearly as much as Denver.

Lightning is impressive there, ok maybe just scary.
I visited in the summer, not long after those wildfires years ago. The Springs is south, but also 1,000 feet higher than Denver. I don’t know if those factors cancel each other out.

There are fears by some than if a nuclear attack occurs, they would be one of the top targets due to the large military presence.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks Fuzzpower. Vegas and phoenix are a bit pricey aren't they? Colorado is getting that way too, Denver is high dollar from what I have seen. The furthest west I've been is Chicago. So I've never seen the western side of the country. Portland and the state of Oregon in General, too many weirdos IMO. Too expensive. I tend to be wary trendy places.

Yes, I don't like Hot Weather at all. Below 0 is no fun but 90-100 all the summer, Eff that. I have family in South Carolina, I like to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Wichita, I've heard good things about, size wise I am guessing its around what Toledo is? snow would be a concern in WNY. Indy I've never visited but i'll keep it in mind.

I did like Lexington KY, good mix of city and country. Near U of K. Would be the only place I would consider living in KY. I've stayed in Knoxville overnight but have not really seen the city, I do like scenery. TN doesn't have an income tax(on wages).

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:53 am

Wichita itself is larger- almost 400,000. Add the suburbs, and they are pretty close to Toledo, maybe slightly larger. Like I said, not the most exciting place, but it has what you need.

Vegas has several suburbs. The home prices were cheap when the crash hit. I am sure there are still some areas which are semi-affordable, in the outlying areas. Suburban Henderson is pricey. St. George in nearby Utah is the fastest growing area in the nation. I have never been to St. George.

Phoenix is also getting up there. The area is starting to be a mini Los Angeles with all of the development. It’s very hot in summer, but almost no humidity.

TN has no income tax, but a higher sales tax if memory serves. TN and KY has been mostly drive through territory. I have never had the chance to stop in Nashville or Lexington or Louisville.

Boise is another city that is really growing, partly due to Californians leaving their state due to the high cost of living. Their downtown is really active. I visited in November of ‘17 and it was in the 50s- I am sure it can get cold in winter. Their airport is just south of the city, but as I drove, I have no idea how it is. The suburbs are also growing (Meridian, etc). Freeway system is small (just I-84 and a short NW spur heading to, but not completely, downtown).

New Orleans is extremely humid and summer, and very rundown for the most part. The tourists seem to only focus on the French Quarter, but the city is much more than that.

I have very little familiarity with Texas. I have only been in the panhandle.

Iowa is bland. Des Moines is more mediocre than Toledo.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 am

Grand Rapids should be on your list...

Lexington, Fayetteville and Omaha are worth a look.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 pm

Omaha is decent sized. It’s a city I drive through more than actually visit.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:57 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 pm
Omaha is decent sized. It’s a city I drive through more than actually visit.

Omaha is 1114 miles from Niceville

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:49 am

Interesting. GR, Never really considered it, honestly the jewel of Michigan

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:25 am

My youngest daughter has lived in Lexington KY for almost 15 years. I am very impressed with that city when we visit. Of course I am only getting a long weekend snapshot when we are there... seeing "the best of" kind of thing. I feel like I could live there comfortably.
My son in laws family owns a high end construction and remodeling company.
The stuff they do is amazing and often on the cutting edge of new technology in the residential building world.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic