Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sick of those Animal Abuse Commercials

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
Deleted User 4520

Sick of those Animal Abuse Commercials

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:49 am

Enough already of these several minute long commercials for animal abuse and things like St. Jude.... for only pennies a day...c'mon! These ads begging for money is beyond ridiculous! Those animal abuse commercials are so annoying that I turn the channel. Who wants to see suffering animals on TV? NOT ME! For as much as these ads are shown, the stations airing them must be making a shitload of money. I would not allow such garbage on TV.

TC Talks

Re: Sick of those Animal Abuse Commercials

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Sounds like they are effective.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 am

FWIW, I tend to turn 'em off as well. It isn't the appeal for donations I mind so much, but the blatant and utterly disingenuous sap put forth in making the appeal. I felt the same way when producing local segments for the MDA and Children's Miracle Network telethons. Augmenting with sappy cloying music only made it worse. The sentiment may be genuine, but the approach is thoroughly artful and contrived.

However, to TC Talk's point, there is research that maintains the approach works.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:56 am

I don't disagree there is a problem with abuse, I get that. But I don't wanna keep seeing those type of ads being crammed down my throat day in and day out. They're just trying to pull on people's heart strings showing sad looking animals and playing somber music and such. I just turn the damn channel and turn it back when they're over.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:30 am

It's the woman's voice I can't stand.

I've seen the same woman in ads for ambulance chasing law firms.

"If you've ever been injured, any time, anywhere, somebody owes you money."

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 am

Animal abuse is very real. In many cases, treatment is very costly. Too costly for most folks to do on their own. The commercials may be a bit over the top, but they do appeal the the type of individual that is prone to donate.

Here's a real life example for you...

I rescued this abandoned boy from a animal control facility this past December. Malnourished, extreme mange and positive for heart worm. He would have been put down in 72 hours.

Image[/url]

In addition to all the normal expenses associated with a large breed dog, I have a little over $2000.00 in medical bills and prescriptions I've paid to treat the result of his abuse and neglect. And mind you, I get a discount on vet visits and medication because of the work I do with rescues.

This is that poor boy today:

So, you'll forgive me if I don't mind a little heart string pulling.

Most folks don't understand that much of the time the cost of treatment and rehabilitation of rescued dogs is higher than purchasing a puppy from a reputable AKC breeder. Keep those donations coming.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

hanson

Post by hanson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:18 pm

That's a very decent thing for you to do. Nice job.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:59 am
Animal abuse is very real. In many cases, treatment is very costly. Too costly for most folks to do on their own. The commercials may be a bit over the top, but they do appeal the the type of individual that is prone to donate.

Here's a real life example for you...

I rescued this abandoned boy from a animal control facility this past December. Malnourished, extreme mange and positive for heart worm. He would have been put down in 72 hours.

Image[/url]

In addition to all the normal expenses associated with a large breed dog, I have a little over $2000.00 in medical bills and prescriptions I've paid to treat the result of his abuse and neglect. And mind you, I get a discount on vet visits and medication because of the work I do with rescues.

This is that poor boy today:

So, you'll forgive me if I don't mind a little heart string pulling.

Most folks don't understand that much of the time the cost of treatment and rehabilitation of rescued dogs is higher than purchasing a puppy from a reputable AKC breeder. Keep those donations coming.
A friend of ours owns the oldest continuously operating veterinary hospital in the country, which is also the fourth-oldest continuously operating business in the city of Detroit. It celebrated its 175th anniversary this year. She's been associated with the clinic since 1975.

She told me that there are two big differences in how people approach animal care since when she was a high school kid cleaning out cages and working on a Girl Scout merit badge for animal care.

The first is that people are far more willing today to pay for expensive, extensive treatment than back then. The second is that people now bring in "neighborhood" animals for treatment; she said that is far more common now than it was even 10 years ago and was unheard of when she started in the business.

Keep up your good work.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:22 pm

hanson wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:18 pm
That's a very decent thing for you to do. Nice job.
Thanks! I get back more than I give. Kinda a win/win for me.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:52 pm

The first is that people are far more willing today to pay for expensive, extensive treatment than back then. The second is that people now bring in "neighborhood" animals for treatment; she said that is far more common now than it was even 10 years ago and was unheard of when she started in the business.

Keep up your good work.
Thanks Vic.

Kind of surprising what can be done by private citizens that are moved into action because of a overwhelming need.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic