Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Classic Soul 105.1/The Groove

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14990

Classic Soul 105.1/The Groove

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:20 pm

Well... we all know what happened with The Edge and all that. The Flip must of happened sometime during the night or early morning. The day before I remember The Edge playing The Living end, Fuel's shimmer, and The mighty mighty bosstones. I've heard the last song on the edge, was "how soon is now" by The Smiths. Not sure if that's true.

I was going through some old cassette tapes, I found one with Classic soul 105.1(before it was called the groove). This had to be just after The flip. Play list was:

Sister Sledge- We are family
four tops- cant help myself
Chaka Kahn- I feel for you
Righteous brothers- Your my soul(inspiration)
Donna summers- bad girls
Earth wind and fire- September

more..

The station ran jockless for about a month or so, then I remember they just had someone doing middays before they brought in a new airstaff. Anyway, just an interesting blast from the past.

Y M Ionhere

Re: Classic Soul 105.1/The Groove

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 pm

I was on my way to work during one of the few days I worked the opening shift. It seemed odd that The Edge was playing "After The Love Is Gone" by Earth Wind and Fire. Afterwards, I realized what happened.
I listened to the station a lot. I ended up getting a new gig doing odd jobs at a car lot and actually had it on all day a few times while washing hoopties. The song mix started out nice. But then a lot of the best stuff dropped off the playlist. I heard "The Rain" from Oran "Juice" Jones and that impressed me. I listened for months on end but never heard it again. Once I realized I never would again, my interest declined. That, and they narrowed the rest of the list down so much I got tired of the rest of the tracks.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:47 am

Brother Bill Gable was a DJ at first- that's worth a mention

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 pm

The first the DJ I heard was a women, I remember her talking about the station needing a name. The first song I heard was "unchained Melody" by The Righteous Brothers fade into "how will I know" by Whitney Houston. Then, between songs they would run a liner like " The Four tops on Classic soul 105.1" . In This case it was " Aretha Franklin on the new classic soul 105.1" right into "Freeway of Love". I knew The Edge gone in that moment.

Later on... they added more 80s stuff and some white artists. Like I remember hearing, Hall and oats, George Michael, and stuff like that. About 15 months later, the format ran its course and we know what happened next.

thekman

Post by thekman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:43 pm
The first the DJ I heard was a women, I remember her talking about the station needing a name.
I won the Name The Radio Station contest. Myself, and 80 other people, sent in “The Groove” as our entry. We were all invited down to the Second City in Hockeytown (now known as the City Theater) for a concert by the Contours and some lunch. Then, much to my shock, they picked my name out of the hat to be the grand prize winner.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:37 pm

I certainly remember that happening. I had really been digging the station since it went on the air. It was always set on my stereo. I'm not sure what it was that attracted me more to 105.1 than 89x or 96.3. I had sent in for a couple of stickers, and they sent me the window clings, a shirt and that Ben Folds Five CD. It was a damn shame to see it go, but, as I've said before here, rock was increasingly becoming an endangered species on the FM dial around here. But it was fun while it lasted!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm

WDET music programing seems to be on a obscure soul music jag, Partially because this is the 60th anniversary of the founding of Motown. Today Ann Delisi's program played Aretha Franklin's version of Skylark, (which is actually a jazz song) And O Jays track I've never heard, and Joe Tex.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 am

Let me make sure I'm reading this right.
We are talking about the old format of this, not a flip back to this?

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 am

Just taking a trip down memory lane is all. The Groove died 18 years ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic