Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The WLLZ Fix List.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
JLesinski

Re: The WLLZ Fix List.

Post by JLesinski » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:35 pm

I'd rather they fix their playlist first.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm

This crappy radio station has played Stone Temple Pilots six (!!!) times since 8 AM this morning.

A classic rock station with so little artist variety is pretty rare. The repetition is on this station is really bad by classic rock standards.

No wonder WCSX is (once again) #1 in Persons 25-54.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 pm

From the iheart side of things......you took a couple of failing stations the D/Alt from a 1.5 to 4.8 ratings wise.

You have some good solid advertisers and are finally making money.

You go with the flow and do small tweaks along the way as the ratings dictate.

Copying the CSX playlist isnt the answer.

JMO......

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

windsor

Post by windsor » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:56 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:08 pm
windsor wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 pm
From the iheart side of things......you took a couple of failing stations the D/Alt from a 1.5 to 4.8 ratings wise.

You have some good solid advertisers and are finally making money.

You go with the flow and do small tweaks along the way as the ratings dictate.

Copying the CSX playlist isnt the answer.

JMO......
We'll see how long the fake Wheels will hold on to those numbers, personally I think it's temporary and just a short fad. The station is extremely boring at this point.
Im afraid of the Fad thing myself.But people in general are looking for a bit of nostalgia and the better times feeling and having a beloved call sign back like WLLZ has hit a nerve in the metro.

I also never thought they could take on CSX as they tend to have a bit older listener that might not like much of the 90's bands like Lit,collective Soul,chili peppers etc. Like the ratings show WRIF is more likely to take a hit as the age demo is closer between the stations.

Looks like who ever is programming be it Casey or the Doc they are taking a wait and see approach on adding diff bands or music to the mix.And maybe that's wise for moment.We will see if the contests and street presence will hold their numbers stable or not.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am

Does the Program Director actually have any say in what artists and songs are added to the station or is it all just a pre-programmed, corporate selected, premium choice playlist? It seems like the latter to me for sure.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:58 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:Does the Program Director actually have any say in what artists and songs are added to the station or is it all just a pre-programmed, corporate selected, premium choice playlist? It seems like the latter to me for sure.
If it's Casey still running the show, it's all Premium Choice. Don't expect him to take any chances.

Podell should've been the PD from the beginning. I'm still stunned that he didn't get that opportunity.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Help a friend set up his stereo after a recent power surge, he lost all his presents and helped to fix his antenna. We come across 106.7 Wheelz, have to say decent playlist and I’m not a fan of classic rock stations, my friend is he can remember the old Wheelz 98.7 and WRIF back in the 80’s. Even herd a “New Wave” song that are I would usually here on SiriusXM’s 1st wave channel.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:51 am

They have gotten better. For a while there every other song was an overplayed 70's safe song. Theres still a ton of safe songs but I'll give credit where its due: they do seem to be trying to mix in some different stuff.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:06 am

Saturday is the only day of the week they do as you say.

Generally, all I hear is a bunch of stuff WRIF has played into the ground over the past 25 years mixed with a bunch of stuff WCSX has played into the ground over the past 25 years - with a surprising lack of overall artist variety.

Once in a while, 106.7 will toss in a newer RHCP song, a 2000's song from Staind, or "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit (a pop/alternative song that sounds horrifically out of place on the station). Is that supposed to impress me?

As for the "New Wave" song - plenty of classic rock stations play the Ramones. Big deal.

This take on the classic rock format has been tried on & off by various stations / companies for the past 25 years. (The first iteration was known as "Classic Rock that Really Rocks.") It never ages well due to playlist burn out. See "106.7 The D" and 102.7 The Bear for examples.

helios987

Post by helios987 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 am

Who would have thought doing a classic rock station would be so difficult. They develop playlists based on studies and surveys but it seems 100% dislike current content. What made 70's/80's great radio was the AOR format. Play songs you don't hear as much. Instead of Highway to Hell for the 8,122,556 time, play other stuff like Ride On, TNT. The cars, david bowie, talking heads and U2. Too much wanker music, I was a wanker but I also like other stuff. I like drew and mike but listen to the podcast. Drew always complains about lack of newwave, he should give up his radio time for new wave hour, sponsored by Drew and he can pick the playlist.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:33 pm

I really cant figure them out.
They started off basically playing WCSX's playlist with a few more overplayed 80's songs thrown in. Then they seemed to get the hint and at least try to mitigate the overplayed 70's stuff with more 80's stuff; though even that was mostly tired stuff as well. Now it seems like they are back doubling down on just tired and worn out stuff from the late 70's and early 80's. Its just brutal. Even Saturdays where you used to be able to hear some deeper stuff is just overpowered by songs everyone has heard a million times. Nothing says "The new generation of classic rock" like Sweet home Alabama. :lol
I hope their ratings continue to slide. Fuck them.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 pm

I love hearing “The next generation of classic rock”, followed by a Doors song. Apparently 1960s music is next generation.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Why was the Drew & Mike Show suddenly cut back to Sundays only, and a nearly pre-dawn start time? WTF?

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:42 am

The station was doing a live remote late Sunday morning for a "Lions tailgate" and wanted to play music, I guess.

Are you sure about Saturday morning?

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:07 am

Drew said they got a "demotion" to only two hours starting at 7am. He sounded a little bummed but mentioned many new podcast listeners have come from the radio show. It's kind of a viscous cycle, when you hear about the podcast you don't need the radio repeats any longer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic