Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Rock Station in Indianapolis

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
fuzzpower

Re: New Rock Station in Indianapolis

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:05 am

In Indy right now. Meh is how I would describe it. Signal still sucks north of the city, but that won’t change.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:29 am

I wish they would reduce the amount of spins devoted to alternative genre titles and substantially boost the spin count for nu metal tracks.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm
I am stunned by how far Q104's ratings have sunk. What happened to that station?!?! They used to be a solid 5 or even 5.5 share radio station each & every book.
First off, it went from being a hot AC to adult CHR during the daytime. Then they're full-service mainstream CHR at night. After 10 p.m., they play hip-hop. CBS really has ruined this station, since I helped to create it, with Larry Morrow, back in late 1990 and 1991.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm
I am stunned by how far Q104's ratings have sunk. What happened to that station?!?! They used to be a solid 5 or even 5.5 share radio station each & every book.

The Cleveland FM dial is garbage (although Pittsburgh's is worse).

I'd like to see 100.7 converted to a full-time simulcast of WTAM. All the sports programming would continue to air on AM 1100 & FM 100.7, just as it does now.

Move Rover and Alan Cox to 96.5 and the flip it to Rock. Run no sports programming of any kind. iHeart still would have 98.1 WKDD to service the CHR/Pop crowd.
The 106.9 translator simulcast is more than enough for WTAM. They skews old like every other talk station, plus Mike Trivisonno is getting long in the tooth... not indifferent to WJR, still in the top 10 but nowhere near as good as it once was.

WMMS took co-flagship status for the Indians and Cavs when the Browns left for dueling sports/talkers (92.3 gets the ratings, WKNR doesn't) and WNCX. Plus it gets younger demos tuned into the games when they wouldn't want to bother tuning into WTAM.

Clear Channel screwed over WKDD once already in July 2001 by shunting it to a Canton signal that no one could pick up. Ratings crashed. It took eight years to make it an Akron station again by moving it back to the same tower site 96.5 used prior to 2001. Moreover, WKDD doesn't count in the (rather meaningless) Cleveland 12+ beauty pageant demo, and Cleveland stations don't show up in the Akron 12+ demo.

Q104 is baffling. Dave Popovich programs both it and WDOK, and has for well over a decade. Why this migration to a quasi-CHR after being Hot AC/adult CHR for so long, I have no idea. Entercom CEO David Field loves alternative so there's no way I would rule it out for 104.1.

A true format hole is mainstream AC. WNWV is best served going that direction and leaving NAC/SJ behind entirely. But owner Thom Mandel loves the format and bought WNWV to take it back to smooth jazz in the first place.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am
Q104 is baffling. Dave Popovich programs both it and WDOK, and has for well over a decade. Why this migration to a quasi-CHR after being Hot AC/adult CHR for so long, I have no idea. Entercom CEO David Field loves alternative so there's no way I would rule it out for 104.1.
One must keep in mind that Q104 is Cleveland's (city and metro) only CHR. KISS FM is Akron. WKDD is Hot AC and the COL is Munroe Falls, just outside of Cuyahoga Falls.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 am
Myron Falwell wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 am
One must keep in mind that Q104 is Cleveland's (city and metro) only CHR. KISS FM is Akron. WKDD is Hot AC and the COL is Munroe Falls, just outside of Cuyahoga Falls.
This. WAKS 96.5 is still legally an Akron station, the COL was never changed when the transmitter was moved in July 2001. But it has effectively masqueraded as a Cleveland station by being on the "Carl Smith Tower" in Brecksville built for, and still used by, WTAM (along with WZAK).

The Munroe Falls COL designation did help when WKDD 98.1 moved back to the WCUE 1150 tower site in Cuyahoga Falls (96.5's previous site), those towns are right next to each other, north of Akron proper.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm

My thought is that cumulus media will ruin 95.5. It was an excellent sounding, forward momentum station. I kept going buy it on the freeway, not even realizing 93.9 was a smaller signal. Let's hope cumulus does not ruin that frequency's music as well.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 pm

A true format hole is mainstream AC. WNWV is best served going that direction and leaving NAC/SJ behind entirely. But owner Thom Mandel loves the format and bought WNWV to take it back to smooth jazz in the first place.
What is your basis for suggesting WDOK fails to qualify as Mainstream AC?!

Yes, they sounded borderline Hot AC for a couple years, but much like WNIC in Detroit, they've gone back to their roots music wise and now play music as far back as the 70's.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm

My thought is that cumulus media will ruin 95.5. It was an excellent sounding, forward momentum station. I kept going buy it on the freeway, not even realizing 93.9 was a smaller signal. Let's hope cumulus does not ruin that frequency's music as well.
I think there is a higher risk of Cumulus ruining 99.5 ZPL and/or Mix 107.9. In fact, I'd say the odds of the latter being ruined are extremely high. The fact they installed The Bert Show in morning drive on 107.9 is a tell tale sign that station is doomed.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:53 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:21 pm
I think there is a higher risk of Cumulus ruining 99.5 ZPL and/or Mix 107.9. In fact, I'd say the odds of the latter being ruined are extremely high. The fact they installed The Bert Show in morning drive on 107.9 is a tell tale sign that station is doomed.
To be honest, 107.9 The Mix, did not sound that impressive to me. So the station was already ruined. B105.7 sounded better. The mix had flow problems. For example, an up-tempo jingle followed by a Natalie Merchant song. The forward momentum was never followed through from the jingle to the song. Plus what light or mainstream AC station uses a dance sounding jingle? The jingle package was reel world's Fresh FM package. The station was a mess already.

Cumulus cannot do much more damage on that station. That's probably why B 105.7 is number one in the market quite often.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm going to really enjoy seeing this station humiliate Alt 103.3 in the ratings in the coming months.
Only took two books for X to top Alt in the books! Indy has needed a good hard rock station for years!

Overall, the station sounds really good. My only complaint is that their current/recurrent library is very tight, only 22 songs per Mediabase and just about all veterans or Alternative crossovers. As I type this, the station frontsold “SOS” by Glorious Sons as “new rock”. Hopefully Cumulus expands their playlist once they reacquaint the market with the format.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm

I love it!!! :8)

WNDX (93.9X) = 3.6 share
WOLT (Alt 103.3) = 2.9 share

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic