Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SHortwave pirate stations

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Ed Joseph

SHortwave pirate stations

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 pm

They have really been active lately! I just got back into the SWL hobby after a decade off. I've never heard more pirates on SW in my life! At least someone besides Brother Stare and the Flat Earthers are using the bands! Right now, I am listening to 6866 kHz Upper Side Band, Mix Radio International, with a S9 signal into Flint area. I just put up a 4' sloper antenna yesterday, and I'm lovin' it!

I bet I've logged 2 dozen pirates since June!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Turkeytop

Re: SHortwave pirate stations

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:57 pm

0256 GMT. Just tried it right now here in south west Ontario. Not a sound. It must have left the air for tonight

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 pm

I thought anyone with a license could transmit, what makes them pirate?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:25 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 pm
I thought anyone with a license could transmit, what makes them pirate?
They may not have any license or may not be licensed to operate on that band.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:48 am

Many of these pirates typically operate just outside of HF ham bands. Last night, I logged 3. Today will be busy, as I've already logged ION Radio on 6869.77kHz. Some are hams, some not. Regardless, they generally play far better music than most commercial stations. Wolverine Radio comes on every weekend, pretty much, from somewhere around the Great Lakes. I often get a +10 over 9 from them just on my Grundig's whip. I bet they kick ass on the sloper!

Ed Joseph

Re: Shortwave pirate stations

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 am

There are quite a few between 5 and 7 MHz typically. Most run AM but some do run USB mode. But I've heard pirates from below the AM band all the way to 35MHz. Occasionally, I find pirate activity around the 49MHz band as well when the bands are open.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Irby Tallant and DeWayne Ehret have both passed away, I am sorry to report. I just have to wonder how much enforcement there is anymore, unless somebody "rats you out". Not that there are not a lot of rats to do it...

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 pm

I have read many stories and seen videos of FCC enforcement teams arresting FM pirates. they are EASY to find !

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:41 pm

I think there is a lot of Pirate activity on Holiday Weekends. Federal workers tend to not work those. There's a case online where Mr. Ehret tried to get paid for overtime and they threw it out. Don't know what effect that would have in motivating them to enforce rules during overtime if they didn't get paid. And if they have tenure, probably no way to legally remove them under those circumstances. Canada doesn't even seem to enforce many AM stations going to Night facilities because the US is causing interference with IBOC sidebands. Its' becoming a Wild West. And it seems to be impossible to stop illegal operation of certain Foreign Language Pirates, and legal stations and translators of that type running with too much power or overmodulating.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:21 pm

I heard XFM last night. Signal was beat up by static crashes, but was there on practically every online SDR I checked across the country. XFM has been around for decades, and he transmits C-QuAM on shortwave. He sounds better than anything I've ever heard on HF. Highs out to 20kHz!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:25 pm

The pirates I have heard ALL sound better than a lot of commercial stations. That's a sad testament to radio IMO. Even the ones using sideband modes sound really good if you widen the filter out a bit. Most send a generic eQSL by slow scan TV following their broadcasts. I got an eQSL from Mix Radio International yesterday!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:24 pm

A FIRST! Today, I heard two pirates sharing the same frequency, one on lower sideband, one on upper. In AM mode, all you heard was static from lightning. Flip to LSB - Radio Gaga, flip to USB, Amphetemine Radio. How bizzare!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:06 pm

I've always shunned the pirate broadcasters. But now you've got me curious. I might go looking for them.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:27 am

Ed Joseph wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:24 pm
A FIRST! Today, I heard two pirates sharing the same frequency, one on lower sideband, one on upper. In AM mode, all you heard was static from lightning. Flip to LSB - Radio Gaga, flip to USB, Amphetemine Radio. How bizzare!
How about "sharing" the freq(s) of these. I'd be interested in hearing the separate-sideband operation.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:33 am

Too bad they didn't run left channel in LSB and right channel in USB.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic