Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

They cannot fill this position in Lansing...

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Deleted User 12047

They cannot fill this position in Lansing...

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:43 am

This has got to be the third or fourth time I've seen this job posted...

"Midwest Communications is looking for the next great Brand Manager to join our team in Lansing, MI. This is an ideal position for someone who wants to make the jump into a programming management role. You'll get a feel for what it takes to do day-to-day maintenance and create interactive digital content on a pair of brands that carry syndicated programming, while still getting to enjoy being on the air on our non-syndicated brands. You'll work with a team of experienced broadcast pros, each of whom has a passion for teaching, training, learning & lifting others up. We don't do ceilings, glass or otherwise. We want you to live up to and exceed your potential. Duties include managing and maintaining two satellite/syndicated stations online and on-air, doing air shifts on sister stations, audio production and hosting events.

We have a very collaborative environment in Lansing. "None of us is smarter than all of us." At the moment, we're a brain short. If you want to lend yours to the cause, e-mail your resume, cover letter, air check & commercial production samples to lansingfun@mwcradio.com. Midwest Communications is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer by choice."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: They cannot fill this position in Lansing...

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 am

his is an ideal position for someone who wants to make the jump into a programming management role. You'll get a feel for what it takes to do day-to-day maintenance and create interactive digital content on a pair of brands that carry syndicated programming, while still getting to enjoy being on the air on our non-syndicated brands.
Wow - sign me up. LOL.

92.1 & 92.9 are total garbage; the former is arguably the worst FM station (from a programming standpoint) in the entire state of Michigan.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 am

I totally agree, MW. They both suck IMO.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Makes me think back to when I was 20 and received a "promotion" to operations manager of an automated AM station. There was no pay increase involved (although it did get me off the graveyard shift on the sister FM, which I was quite happy about). OM was a nice-sounding, although it didn't take to realize it amounted to little more than glorified babysitter for the automation. The AM was pretty much an afterthought for upper management, and any ideas I presented the GM with regard to programming and promotion went in one ear and out the other. My job was to do the do the afternoon air shift live-assist, and otherwise insure that tapes were changed, heads were cleaned, and spot breaks were entered into the sequence. Looking back, it was likely a suitable job for my level of experience at the time. Still, that title felt good!

About three months after I took the position, the GM booted me and my PD on the same day. Our positions were not re-filled but rather assumed by existing employees. The company that owned the station was placing their whole chain on the block and likely looking to cut a few "expendable" salaries in advance. I heard the GM promised the person who assumed my duties that he would be more of a true operations manager, but it wasn't long before he too realized it was just a snappy title with no real substance.

On the upside, it looked good on my resume. :razz

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

mocom70

Post by mocom70 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:35 pm

That job listing is one of the best examples of corporate double speak I've seen.

Qs23

Post by Qs23 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:23 am

Looks like the previous Brand Manager (Joe C.) Jumped ship to become an OM for a cluster down in Iowa. Must be really bad in that office to want to move to Iowa.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Lansing was once an exciting, vibrant, fun, innovative market. These days? Completely bush-league. What I hear on the radio more or less reflects what you see. Driving through, Lansing looks like just another forgotten Midwest factory town. Even once trendy Okemos looks like an aging, tired suburb, from which the shine has dulled. The offerings on the radio have suffered the same fate. The trouble is, this is not a problem that's unique to Lansing.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:25 pm
Lansing was once an exciting, vibrant, fun, innovative market. These days? Completely bush-league. What I hear on the radio more or less reflects what you see. Driving through, Lansing looks like just another forgotten Midwest factory town. Even once trendy Okemos looks like an aging, tired suburb, from which the shine has dulled. The offerings on the radio have suffered the same fate. The trouble is, this is not a problem that's unique to Lansing.
Indeed, it's pretty much anywhere. The last 40 years have not been kind to our nation, or the people who live in it, unless you were rich to begin with.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:29 pm

I forgot that Terry Stevens was Brand Manager for the whole cluster. He did one helluva job (I mean that seriously, not sarcastically) at Rock 94.7 in Wausau.

He's applied the same musical formula to Q106, and the station sounds absolutely great right now. 1000x better than WGRD. A lot of the stale butt rock has been dumped from Q106's playlist, and the variety of cuts played from the 90's, 2K's and 2010's is terrific.

Q106 is one of the very few - perhaps the only - rock station in Michigan to be playing "Unsainted" by Slipknot! :horns
The only other place I've heard that song is Sirius XM.

Here's perhaps the most impressive improvement he's made to Q106 - starting this Saturday (July 6), Q106 will play five hours of nonstop heavy metal every Saturday night from 7p to Midnight!!! :horns :horns :horns

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 am
his is an ideal position for someone who wants to make the jump into a programming management role. You'll get a feel for what it takes to do day-to-day maintenance and create interactive digital content on a pair of brands that carry syndicated programming, while still getting to enjoy being on the air on our non-syndicated brands.
Wow - sign me up. LOL.

92.1 & 92.9 are total garbage; the former is arguably the worst FM station (from a programming standpoint) in the entire state of Michigan.
To Me that crown goes to 101.3 the brew, thats a runner up, then WGRD behind that, then I-92.9, 5th is WRIF.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 am

Wow - WRIF as fifth worst in the entire state? That's harsh!

Certainly, one can make a convincing argument that 101.3 is equally as poorly programmed or even more poorly programmed than 92.1. The Brew definitely makes my top three worst list.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:57 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:29 pm
I forgot that Terry Stevens was Brand Manager for the whole cluster. He did one helluva job (I mean that seriously, not sarcastically) at Rock 94.7 in Wausau.

He's applied the same musical formula to Q106, and the station sounds absolutely great right now. 1000x better than WGRD. A lot of the stale butt rock has been dumped from Q106's playlist, and the variety of cuts played from the 90's, 2K's and 2010's is terrific.

Q106 is one of the very few - perhaps the only - rock station in Michigan to be playing "Unsainted" by Slipknot! :horns
The only other place I've heard that song is Sirius XM.

Here's perhaps the most impressive improvement he's made to Q106 - starting this Saturday (July 6), Q106 will play five hours of nonstop heavy metal every Saturday night from 7p to Midnight!!! :horns :horns :horns
Listened to Q106 tonight on my way to Grand Rapids and until Dee Sniders House of Hair came on. OMG - what a night and day difference between now and the last time I listened a few months ago! The classic rock is GONE (finally), the variety MW described above is there and they have a new slogan - “Michigan’s rock station 🤔”. They sound awesome! IMO they sound even better than Saginaw’s Z93.

They used to be a P2 afterthought for me when I was in the Lansing area - no more. It’s a must listen station for me now.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Radio SOP: Give somebody a title in lieu of money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic