Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Weird programming

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BKRPDM

Weird programming

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:38 pm

IMO -
*WOMC just played the Fugees, “Killing Me Softly”...sounds really out of place, even with the sprinkling in of 90s music.

*WCSX’s choice of what sounds like Soft AC (slower Billy Joel and Eagles songs) mixed with Tesla and Warrant songs doesn’t sound right.

*As for WLLZ, sounds like they raided a 45-year old man’s CD collection, and pulled only the songs on the CDs that were the most overplayed.

*Well, WDVD is playing Kesha and Ashlee Simpson again. :barf

Yucch.

Mega Hertz

Re: Weird programming

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 pm

I was just gonna ask about WDVD. You say they're playing Kesha and Ashlee Simpson, yet while running errands tonight, I heard a Nelly song. Since when are they playing the likes of Nelly? It sounded really off coming from WDVD. Just weird.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 am

WDVD has played Kesha and Nelly for over a year.
Ashlee Simpson? Are you sure? What song she sucks.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Nellie ??? Hasn't Nellie Fox been dead since Dec. 1,1975 at age 47 ? And I DEFINITELY prefer Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly" over the Fugees' because Ms. Flack had ENORMOUS BOOBS !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:15 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:22 am
WDVD has played Kesha and Nelly for over a year.
Ashlee Simpson? Are you sure? What song she sucks.
See, I wouldn't know that, because I don't frequent WDVD. But I do know they've always been a very conservative almost Hot AC with taglines stating "...without the rap". So hearing "Hot In Herre" was rather jarring.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:40 pm

"All the spots without all the music!"

Or "Home of the Neutron bomb... it kills the music but leaves the commercials intact!" :D

Welcome to corporate radio, Detroit, 2019.

The "Neutron Bomb" reference was from a liner for WOWO's FM station, WIOE, commercial free 103, circa 1985-6. Ron Gregory and Chris Roberts did the liners. Switch "music" and "Commercials" around and that was the liner...

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 am

I'll give WCSX a bit of credit. They have tried to mix up their programming a bit since 106.7 switched formats. The switches they have made however just dont fit. Instead of adding more great songs from what should be their wheelhouse-60's and 70's rock-they tried to to add more modern stuff. Kid Rock, really?
It seems to me that all 3 major rock radio stations are trying to be all things for everybody. And that just isnt going to work. You cant make everyone happy so dont even try. They should all just stick to their schtick and then they will each have their own dedicated group of core listeners. The way it should be:

94.7: 60's and 70's with a few 80's
101.1: 2000+ with a few 90's
106.7: 80's and 90's with a few 70's and 2000's

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:48 am

My thought is this: If I have a great radio station, why should I change it just because someone else changed theirs? If radio is done right <cough> then the station shouldn't have to worry that much. That said, most radio stations today are lucky they have anybody listening. How many times do you hear "Don't Stop Believing" in a day?

"We'll be back with another 3 minute nonstop music sweep, but here is another 26 commercials in a row, some of them repeated back to back!"

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:48 am
My thought is this: If I have a great radio station, why should I change it just because someone else changed theirs? If radio is done right <cough> then the station shouldn't have to worry that much. That said, most radio stations today are lucky they have anybody listening. How many times do you hear "Don't Stop Believing" in a day?

"We'll be back with another 3 minute nonstop music sweep, but here is another 26 commercials in a row, some of them repeated back to back!"
Well, the complaint about WCSX was that they played the same tired safe songs over and over and over. Lately they've added some stuff so I have to give them credit for at least doing SOMETHING to address their stale playlist. Its just that what theyve done is ridiculous and doesnt fit their core strength.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:36 pm

The "play the same songs over and over..." is half of what's wrong with modern radio in general. Things are so overly consulted and researched to death, literally. If you are going to take the effort to correct that, at least add songs that are in the format genre. Classic rock has thousands of cuts out there to add from, but Kid Rock??? I don't care what format I am listening to, if I hear Kid Rock, the button is pushed. Guaranteed. Especially on a "classic rock" format.

Another thing I've noticed, regarding "classic Hits" formats. The majority of the one's I've heard are really classic rock stations with maybe 10% pop mixed in. And primarily 80's rock. Songs like"Moonlight Feels Right" and such are ignored in favor of Michael Jackson. Basically, it seems like every format seems to be getting executed rather poorly. At least to me.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 pm

JLesinski wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:13 am
I'll give WCSX a bit of credit. They have tried to mix up their programming a bit since 106.7 switched formats. The switches they have made however just dont fit. Instead of adding more great songs from what should be their wheelhouse-60's and 70's rock-they tried to to add more modern stuff. Kid Rock, really?
It seems to me that all 3 major rock radio stations are trying to be all things for everybody. And that just isnt going to work. You cant make everyone happy so dont even try. They should all just stick to their schtick and then they will each have their own dedicated group of core listeners. The way it should be:

94.7: 60's and 70's with a few 80's
101.1: 2000+ with a few 90's
106.7: 80's and 90's with a few 70's and 2000's
Agree 100%

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic