Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Coming Soon From Eton - Grundig

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Turkeytop

Coming Soon From Eton - Grundig

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:58 pm

13.1”L x 7.1”H x 2.5”W Weight: 4 lbs. 3 oz.

Wiping drool from my screen

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog ... /0222.html

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Ben Zonia

Re: Coming Soon From Eton - Grundig

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 pm

I hope they have corrected the problem with the finish, which broke down to a sticky mess after a couple years. My Brother In Law had an Eton 1 and couldn’t stand to touch it. Couldn’t figure out how to clean it either. There were many online complaints about it.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 2&t=244914

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:25 pm
I hope they have corrected the problem with the finish, which broke down to a sticky mess after a couple years. My Brother In Law had an Eton 1 and couldn’t stand to touch it. Couldn’t figure out how to clean it either. There were many online complaints about it.
Thanks for sharing that. I have an Eton weather radio that I leave in Florida, made of red plastic. Last year when I got back there it was all sticky like someone had pored syrup over it. I blamed it on the summer heat.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:36 am

There is a solvent that fixes that. It wrecks the appearance a bit, but it isn't sticky. Are these German? The polymer is typically German.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:42 pm

WOW cost almost what I paid for my Kenwood TS440 when it was about 8 years old, 100 W Transceiver for all HF bands ! :shock:

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm

If it's anything like my BIL's, only buy it if you have an electrically quiet location to listen to it, and a location that doesn't have dozens of AM or FM IBOC stations, translators and Treaty drop ins nearby. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy and feel like you paid too much money for something you can't use to its fullest potential. And gets sticky within a few years to the point you feel like you need a shower.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:54 pm
If it's anything like my BIL's, only buy it if you have an electrically quiet location to listen to it, and a location that doesn't have dozens of AM or FM IBOC stations, translators and Treaty drop ins nearby. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy and feel like you paid too much money for something you can't use to its fullest potential. And gets sticky within a few years to the point you feel like you need a shower.

I treat myself to such an experience once each year. I pick a day in early November, after we've reverted to Standard time. I take a radio and head off to a Conservation area about 30 miles from here, up just a few miles from Lake Huron. The area is free of any man made electrical interference I arrive there late afternoon so I have time to get an antenna up in the air before dark. Then I spend a few hours scanning the short wave bands. I call it my mini DXpedition.

Last year the band conditions weren't that great, so I spent some time logging long wave beacons.

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I would love to find a site like that to set up my camper and hang some antenna wire in the trees.
BUT,
My family prefers State Park camps where the other campers are too close and the electrical systems spew out RFI from .1 to 10+ MHz ! But they have fairly clean showers and "modern" toilets on site.
I have had success gatting my signal out with little 5 W transcievers on 30 and 40 M CW, from State Campgrounds. :D

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:47 pm

k8jd wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:41 pm
I would love to find a site like that to set up my camper and hang some antenna wire in the trees.
BUT,
My family prefers State Park camps where the other campers are too close and the electrical systems spew out RFI from .1 to 10+ MHz ! But they have fairly clean showers and "modern" toilets on site.
I have had success gatting my signal out with little 5 W transcievers on 30 and 40 M CW, from State Campgrounds. :D
I just go off by myself for a few hours. That way, I'm the only one who has to approve of the location.

I've been going there every year for about 15 years now. Even in years when the band conditions were lousy, just a few hours of solitude in the country made it all worthwhile.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Supposedly, the sticky finish issue will be fixed. Would I buy one? Probably not. Too much money and I could get a far better vintage rig for that.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic