Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Predictions as to who winds up with 107.5 WGPR?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Predictions as to who winds up with 107.5 WGPR?

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:13 pm

OK.

So we all now know that Urban One says it has no interest at all in extending its current LMA of WGPR beyond 2019.

Beasley says it wants at least a 30 percent revenue share in the markets it operates.

My best guess is they are now at 25 percent (give or take a percentage point or two) pro forma with the acquisition of WDMK.

It stands to reason that Beasley would be keenly interested in purchasing WGPR outright if & when the Masons put the station on the market.

I'm sure Entercom would be interested, too! They have room for 1 more FM station in Detroit.

I cannot see Cumulus expanding. They cannot even operate the 2 FM stations they already have in a terribly productive manner. WDVD underbills relative to its ratings; WDRQ is just a flat out disaster. If anything, the two Cumulus FMs will be sold at some point.

Here's what's interesting about Beasley scooping up WDMK - it prevents Beasley & Cumulus from doing a future deal that involves both Cumulus FM signals. This really puts Cumulus in a bind! They no longer have the luxury of selling all stations in one fell swoop to an existing mainstream broadcaster in Metro Detroit. They will either have to split 'em up (like they did in New York) or sell to a fringe broadcaster (like Crawford or Adell).

That brings me to my next point - will the Masons insist on (a) continuation of African American centered programming or (b) sale to a minority-owned (especially African American) broadcaster?

I'm not sure who even would fit criterion (b), but if criterion (a) is what's most important - then certainly Crawford Broadcasting and Adell Broadcasting would have to be near the top of the list.

Deleted User 15050

Re: Predictions as to who winds up with 107.5 WGPR?

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm

The International Free and Accepted Modern Masons own WGPR, And I doubt that station will ever be on the selling block. Now a while back M.W. did you suggest for 107.5 to go Classic Soul? and if you did, Great suggestion that would be a perfect fit for WGPR. Only time will tell.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm

KC wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm
The International Free and Accepted Modern Masons own WGPR, And I doubt that station will ever be on the selling block. Now a while back M.W. did you suggest for 107.5 to go Classic Soul? and if you did, Great suggestion that would be a perfect fit for WGPR. Only time will tell.

They said the same thing about channel 62, and the Masons sold.

I don’t see a large broadcaster entering the market by purchasing only WGPR, so MW likely has the realistic scenarios covered.

Now that K-LOVE has a full powered signal (though tower is in Clinton Twp), I don’t see them buying it, unless they want to use another stick for one of their formats, or in turn attempt to sell 102.7 to another broadcaster (unlikely).

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:14 pm

I wouldn't rule K-love out, but this is going to be interesting. The Mason's have resisted selling WGPR forever. However, with U1 exiting the market, that puts them in a bind. Maybe they would LMA to a religious broadcaster? Might Crawford move WCHB's format to The FM?

Cumulus will likely be leaving Detroit but, as said. They are going to have to sell the stations off piece by piece.

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:22 pm

The WCHB idea is a strong possibility Crawford could sell or shutdown WCHB 1340 the signal is a nighttime waste. Crawford could be a contender.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 pm

1340, not much you can do with it really. So.. me being The madam Cleo of Radio :P j/k.... I say Mason's keep the station but enter into a LMA with Crawford, under the condition the station is to have a format that caters to the black community.

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 am

Just wondering if the building on Jefferson is being used currently and if not will it be the studio once again for WGPR, Charles Johnson should work out a deal with the International Free and Accepted Modern Masons To Run WGPR and bring “The Electrifying Mojo” Back home again. That would be cool 😎. Charles Johnson could Format the music on the station just like his shows used to be.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:22 pm

1340 may be a graveyard channel, but the daytime signal still covers highly populated areas. If that station went on the block for a reasonable price, someone would grab it. 1440 sold for a high amount a couple years ago, and their signal is heavily directional.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic