Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bill Harris retiring

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
lovinlife101

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Holyoke Massachusetts’ native son, and Boston Bruin/Boston Red Sox’s biggest fan is calling it quits?

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am

With all due respect to the self-professed “Dean of mid-Michigan news anchors,” what has he accomplished in his career? What stories did he break? What reporting of his caused positive change?

“He’s been around a long time.” Got it. So have a lot of other people.

“He’s been in the industry a long time.” Got it. Same as above.

“He’s produced more positive police stories than anyone on the planet.” Ok, you’ve got a valid point there.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm

franko75 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
He has a list of accomplishments that could fill up this page.
I just asked for one.

Btw, you have no idea who I am.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:15 pm

DAC wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:11 pm
franko75 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 am
He has a list of accomplishments that could fill up this page.
I just asked for one.

Btw, you have no idea who I am.
Nobody cares if you even exist, much less who you are (except Autolab, I guess). I'm sure Bill Harris is all broken up about some troll exercising their rights on a piddly ass message board like this one. But, you do have all the facts. I mean, after all, you were the one who was positive that the word "Chigger" was a racial slur.

#101forPrez
Yell that word in downtown Flint or Saginaw and see what happens. I’m sure you’ll have several people wanting to speak with you.

Still waiting on one accomplishment. Oh, and being old doesn’t count.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat May 04, 2019 6:53 am

WhatIsNews wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:05 am
In response to LL101.... according to his bio, Bill has nine Emmy awards (including 3 for best anchor in the state) and 37 Emmy nominations. That's not unheard of, but that's pretty good. And because he's been on-air in Michigan for 40-some years, he knows the area a lot better than 95 percent of the people who work in the business. I'm actually with you in that he can be too connected to the police (which can make him biased), but it also shows he cares a lot about the community. In 2019, having a guy who's won a lot of awards, lived in one place for 40+ years essentially scandal free, and cares about the community --- that's pretty good for an anchor in market 60-something.
I appreciate the effort, WhatIsNews. And thanks for your honest comments.

If regional Emmys were the sign of accomplishment, we’re all in trouble. Bill has nine. WNEM’s golden boy has five. Some who have won them would shock you. Broadcasting awards have a “everyone gets a turn” mentality.

And the connection to police. Nobody has covered law enforcement with more bias. Having a wife that served as a police dispatcher for 35 years and having “on the inside” connections should have produced at least one breaking news story, but nope. All positive. His bio even brags about it:

“He continues to work closely with numerous agencies and consulting firms, including the Michigan State Police, as a media consultant and instructor and, this past August, served as the Public Information Officer for Flint’s “Back To The Bricks” Law Enforcement Task Force.”

How can someone objectively cover a subject they’re working for?

“And now to the republican report, here’s Trump’s advisor with the latest...” Same thing.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:16 am

franko75 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:59 am
Lovinlife-- Is it true that you (Mark Toregrossa) think you are relevant anymore? What have you done in your failed career?
You are 100% wrong. You have no idea who I am.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am

Herm wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:02 am
[quote=lovinlife101 post_id=571779 time=<a href="tel:1556885286">1556885286</a> user_id=9159]
With all due respect to the self-professed “Dean of mid-Michigan news anchors,” what has he accomplished in his career? What stories did he break? What reporting of his caused positive change?

“He’s been around a long time.” Got it. So have a lot of other people.

“He’s been in the industry a long time.” Got it. Same as above.

“He’s produced more positive police stories than anyone on the planet.” Ok, you’ve got a valid point there.
When did Bill Harris ever call himself the Dean of Mid-Michigan News Anchors?
[/quote]

Great question.

In his bio, which was written several years ago, he calls himself “the dean of Michigan news anchors.”

https://nbc25news.com/station/people/bill-harris

The recent write-ups of his upcoming retirement have a less lofty “dean of mid-Michigan news anchors.”

https://nbc25news.com/news/local/bill-h ... -anchoring

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Bdl wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:25 pm
The article doesn't state that Bill said that about himself.
I thought you were about FACTS.
And who writes bios?

I’ll give you three guesses and the first two don’t count.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Bdl wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 2:49 pm
I'll guess you wrote it since you are so obsessed with him.

That is my third guess btw...the same as the first two.
Knew you’d get it wrong. No surprise there.

They all write their own.

Guess you shouldn’t have majored in “Broadcast Website Bio Writing For Others.” That field is quite slim. Non-existent, in fact, unless you are the person you’re writing about.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 am

Prior to this thread being posted, he has been referred to as “dean of (mid-)Michigan anchors” only twice online, possibly in print too. First, in his bio, which he authored. And second, in his retirement announcement, which it’s safe to assume he authored as well.

So who came up with the title? Since it appears as a news product, shouldn’t that be disclosed? Where has anyone ever called him that? It’s never been documented, yet it is posted on a bio and retirement announcement as if everyone should already know about it.

Like most things, people don’t check, people don’t ask questions, and we stay where we are in civilization because of it.

I’m sure he’s a wonderful person. I’ve never said anything to the contrary. I’m sure he’s a delight to work with. But can we also use the same standards of broadcast journalism excellence with him?

Name one significant news story that he broke. Ever.

Name one story that he worked for weeks, maybe a month, or longer until he revealed facts that nobody else got. Just one.

Name one time that he wasn’t satisfied with the available information, went above and beyond, and found the truth that resulted in positive change.

If you think of great broadcast journalists, they do these things, and often. They push the boundaries. They’re assertive.

If the title “dean of (mid-)Michigan news anchors” means you’ve been around a long time, he’s earned it, regardless of who wrote it.

You’ll never find him in a Red Wings, Tigers, or Lions jersey. Just Bruins, Red Sox, and Patriots. You’d think after all this time he would have accepted the local teams, but no. He came here, buddied up to all the police agencies, and never left.

How many news anchors from outside of Michigan can you name? If you’ve followed the industry, probably a few at least. How many people from outside of Michigan have ever heard of the “dean”? How many inside Michigan for that matter?

I know plenty of people who have stayed around a long time, are nice, and can read a TelePrompTer. Finding a replacement shouldn’t be difficult.
Last edited by lovinlife101 on Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:23 am

I’m going by the evidence available. I’m open to any additional evidence. In fact, I would welcome it with open arms.

There are two references to the term “dean.” The older one says “Dean of Michigan News Anchors.” The second one says “Dean of mid-Michigan News Anchors.” They are his station bio and his retirement announcement respectively. It appears the only two references can’t even be consistent.

If this “dean” discussion was intended to be private, mission accomplished. Who called him that? It’s not disclosed on either reference.

Was it Walter Cronkite, Gandhi, the Virgin Mary? I know what you all will say, “You can’t prove they didn’t!” 🤦‍♀️

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 am

Pat Sajak has been on TV a long time, and I’m sure he’s a nice person. But he’s a gameshow host, not a broadcast journalist. There’s got to be better criteria.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am

Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 pm

BME wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 pm
Hey, 101 -- I'm not thrilled about Bill Harris' retirement (I know him -- we used to live on the same street, and I used to be in the Flint media). But if it will mean you will stop yammering on about how much you don't like him, that will be no small consolation.

You are one sick puppy.
Wow, does anyone know what’s being said here?

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:30 am

Herm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
Using a less commonly used word and then telling people to look it up is quite possibly the most pretentious thing I’ve ever seen.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
I worked with Bill for years and I work with Jim right now. I seriously doubt that Jim shares your opinion of Bill. I don’t know it for sure, but I’d be willing to bet a dollar on it. That being said, I imagine Bill WOULD share your opinion of Jim because Jim is an amazing reporter and journalist.
I think your personal opinions of Bill are impeding your ability to be objective about his career as a broadcaster... which has been successful.
I’m sure there’s mutual respect. They’re both Silver Circle. They’re both multiple regional Emmy winners. It’s just that one is significantly more productive than the other.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic