Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

Re: What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:09 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:16 pm
Some people move a lot, some people don’t have a use for AM radio, some people didn’t grow up with it, and some don’t commit “WJR” to memory and where to find it. Combine all that. It’s not that hard to believe. Lots of people also don’t understand/know that I-94 is The Ford Freeway in the City. Why would they need to?
And some people are just plain stupid and don’t know how to find AM 760 on a radio. Society has become stupid, Today we need a computer to do our thinking,
If the next generation is dependent on Alexa we’re in trouble. So apparently The Millennials and Gen Z’s don’t listen to radio because they don’t know how to operate one.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 am

Oh come on, don’t be so dramatic. It’s not that they can’t find AM 760, it’s they don’t know what WJR is, or that WJR is a radio station on AM 760.

Think outside the box instead of thinking everything and everyone who isn’t like you is stupid. You’re sounding like an angry old man yelling at those damn millennial kids (who are pushing 40 now) to get off your lawn.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:16 am

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:16 pm
If manufacturers phase out AM radio, especially car companies, and general society "forgets" about AM radio, what's the point? I bet you nobody knows that WJR is our local PEP station. Some people don't even know where to find WJR on the dial.

Which leads us back to the original question, what can WJR (or AM radio in general) change to make itself relevant again, instead of currently guaranteeing it fades away into the AM radio sunset?
LMAO, You made the claim that you bet people don’t know where to find WJR, So who’s dramatic?

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:56 am

If the best argument for AM radio is that it can deliver news in the case of a catastrophe then it isn't a viable from a capitalist perspective. You won't be selling shit when people are listening and they're only listening in the off-hand chance shit hits the wall. That tells me that having a small handheld radio laying around the house is good as part of emergency protection, but that it isn't something that is relevant to day-to-day life.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed May 01, 2019 3:06 pm

My car is a '99. One of those Taurses that says "CD" but has no player. Tape deck doesn't load the tapes. I'm not dropping $100 or more just for the pleasure of hooking up an aux cord. Plus, I'm a radio nerd. While driving at night, I have shown my girlfriend stations from Boston, New York, St. Louis, etc. She never uses and aux cord either and might, on rare occasions, pop in a CD. The point is, with millions of people in this country, and billions around the world, radio will always be a viable option. Will it be as big is it was many years back when it is one of maybe two or three ways to hear music? No. That horse is long out of the barn. So no one strawman argument is gonna lay it down for all people.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Wed May 01, 2019 3:42 pm

You’re absolutely correct radio will always be there and will always be relevant AM and FM, I’m truly not surprised at how many people are out there saying radio is dead especially AM Radio and how everything is going to be Internet and broadband, Wait until we have a catastrophic situation no matter how many of us think the Internet is safe from collapsing it will stop due to one simple thing that all of us take very lightly and no pun intended electricity, We have all depended on this thing called the Internet and are putting all our eggs in one basket. When that catastrophe thing happens my radio AM and FM will be working, Just ask anyone who is victim of the Hurricanes or The California Wildfires or any other catastrophe we have had here in The U.S.A. and they will tell you, Thank God I have my AM/FM Radio for emergency updates and for finding my lost family members, AM and FM Radio is more important now more than ever.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:05 pm
Neckbeard wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:54 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:49 pm
I believe their best chance is to Super serve their existing customers into the grave and hope there are advertisers willing to support it.
I was told by a certain user a few years ago that there was no chance of radio dying because of limitations placed on internet connections and the difficulty of streaming in rural locations. You can't be telling me that technology is ever-evolving and is quickly catching up in areas it has not completely caught up with yet.

You're right. I haven't used the AM/FM function since I bought my car. I use SXM and stream whatever I want to listen to. There's so much variety out there. Like one of the things where streaming is weakest is local issues and interests, but still, it is a far superior option compared to what youll find on the AM/FM dial
Terrestrial radio is still popular among poorer drivers. People who buy used cars and cant afford satellite radio. Many people in inner cities with high-mileage cars from a buy-here pay-here lot arent spending the $. The contractors still using early-90s pickups arent utilizing technology. They may not be listening to much AM but satellite or bluetooth isnt as widespread as some believe. We are in our 30s and use basic AM/FM in both our cars. No interest in springing for more.
If you ride public transportation, you will soon realize that most "poor" people download podcasts and listen to them on the way to work. I frequently see this in my homeless shelter, no extra technology required other than headphones. I never see radios.

There will always be SOMEBODY who will listen but it's not a mass-market under the age of 50.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic