Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bell wants to shut down more CTV transmitters

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
RingtailedFox

Bell wants to shut down more CTV transmitters

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:53 pm

It's all in the topic header, people. Bell wants to shut down "unprofitable" repeaters that it claims don't bring in any income and serve lightly populated areas, and that they don't originate any of their own programming. The problem with that claim is they list CJOH-TV-6 Deseronto and CKCO-TV-3 Oil Springs in the transmitters to be shuttered... CJOH-TV-8 serves a quarter-million people from Cornwall to the western edge of the Montreal metropolitan area others that serve over 30,000 people as well (like Colchester County, Nova Scotia, or Cranbrook, BC)... also listed is CKNX-TV in Wingham, which covers the quarter-million people north of London and west of Barrie with its high-powered signal.

Since Canada's digital transition in 2011, the CRTC has preferred to protect stations that originate their own programming, at the expense of their repeaters, allowing them to be shuttered (like we saw with the CBC).

My mistake... CJOH-TV-6 in Deseronto and CKCO-TV-3 in Oil Springs are BACK on the chopping block... those are high-powered transmitters that cover close to half a million people each and are likely to be upgraded to digital operations in the near future.

The full story can be seen at http://blog.fagstein.com/2019/03/25/28- ... tters-cut/

If you want to gripe to the CRTC on why they should or should not allow it, here's the link:

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/Comment ... &PST=A&FN=
Last edited by RingtailedFox on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

ftballfan

Re: Bell wants to shut down more CTV transmitters

Post by ftballfan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:55 pm

If CJOH-6, CKCO-3, and CKNX were in the States, they would likely be fully separate stations with their own news departments (Canadian media collusion is extreme; the US equivalent of Bell would be if one of the Big Three, Comcast, Sinclair, AT&T, DirecTV, and iHeartMedia were all controlled by the same people)

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Where does that leave the Windsor and Sarnia Stations at, Are they remaining on or shut down, I just wonder how much money they are losing, If that’s the situation then sell some of you underperforming radio properties as well.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:33 pm

CKNX-TV actually used to have its own, very small, news division. However, the area served was so tiny in population (perhaps 250,000 at most in a H*** area from Wingham to Owen Sound to Collingwood... a truly massive area north of London and west of Barrie) that the station ended up having to close and become a full-time repeater of CFPL in London.

The Windsor and Sarnia stations (CHWI-DT and CKCO-TV-3) are not going off the air after all. Bell said that these transmitters bring in no revenue of their own and are costly to maintain.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:41 pm

If Bell wants to keep the Sarnia transmitter on the air they will be forced to move it down to a lower channel. I think they will go from ch.42 to ch.27.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 pm

Is there a lot of viewers still using broadcast antenna TV in those areas ?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 pm

I remember reading Windsor had one of the highest OTA viewship numbers in the country, probably because of Detroit and Toledo. If memory serves, Windsor carries all of the Detroit stations except WADL and WPXD. Not sure if they carry the Toledo stations.

I can’t remember if Sarnia carries WMYD and WKBD on cable... it’s been a couple years since I have been over there.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 pm
In both Sarnia and Lambton County there are still many TV antennas around.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 pm

Marcus wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 pm
Steve Korvette wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 pm
In both Sarnia and Lambton County there are still many TV antennas around.
Back around 1999, while on a trip between Detroit and Toronto, I stayed at a motel outside Sarnia. No cable or satellite -- just TV from the master antenna outside. In addition to the Sarnia and London area channels, I got most of the Detroit and Toledo channels, plus WNEM from Saginaw. I imagine most of the antennas in use in the area are pointed towards, or capable of being pointed towards, Detroit, Toledo and Flint.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:38 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:53 pm
The full story can be seen at https://blog.fagstein.com/2016/06/27/be ... -shutdown/
The article is three years old, and I believe Bell has since reconsidered closing its transmitters.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 am

I've updated the link to reflect the CURRENT list of transmitters bell wants to shut down... sorry. not sure how i wound up with that link to the 2016 article...

CJOH-TV-6 Deseronto (serving everyone from Coburg to Kingston) and CKCO-TV-3 Oil Springs (Sarnia, Chatham, Windsor) are slated for closure, along with CKNX-TV Wingham and others.

It doesn't surprise me that Windsor has the highest number of antenna users in the country, because we're absolutely saturated with signals from Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland and even beyond.

If i remember, the only differences between Cogeco's systems in Windsor/Leamington and Chatham-Kent and Sarnia, is that Chatham-Kent and Sarnia also get CBLT-DT Toronto on analog cable alongside CBET-DT (just high up like on cable channel 71), and that WMYD (My TV 20) and WKBD (CW 50) are carried throughout Southwestern Ontario.

I didn't think the Flint stations made it to Sarnia and Port Huron, but I guess that's a good thing. however, I'm very surprised that anyone in Sarnia was able to pick up anything from Toledo, given the distance, even with the lakes to extend the signal...

Gerald1981!

Post by Gerald1981! » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 pm

When does CKCO-TV-3 Channel 42 in Sarnia suppose to go off the air for good?

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:08 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:18 pm
I remember reading Windsor had one of the highest OTA viewship numbers in the country, probably because of Detroit and Toledo. If memory serves, Windsor carries all of the Detroit stations except WADL and WPXD. Not sure if they carry the Toledo stations.
Toledo stations are not carried in Windsor today, but they were historically for a time. Trillium in Windsor in the late '80s/early '90s carried 11, 13, 24 and 30. Leamington subscribers got 3, 5, 8 and 43 from Cleveland instead of the Toledo stations.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Chris1980 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:08 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Toledo stations are not carried in Windsor today, but they were historically for a time. Trillium in Windsor in the late '80s/early '90s carried 11, 13, 24 and 30. Leamington subscribers got 3, 5, 8 and 43 from Cleveland instead of the Toledo stations.
Actually, the Leamington system, IIRC, did carry both Toledo and Cleveland stations.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:25 pm

mtburb wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 pm
Chris1980 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:08 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Actually, the Leamington system, IIRC, did carry both Toledo and Cleveland stations.
Interesting. TV Guide cable grids from the early '90s showed Cleveland stations occupying the same channels in the Leamington lineup that were occupied by Toledo stations in the Windsor lineup.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic