Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHNE needs your Help........

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

Re: WHNE needs your Help........

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 am

mtburb wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:56 pm
Watched one episode yesterday...every few minutes everything froze for a second.
You’re lucky you even got a signal, Just wait when the station moves to RF Channel 3.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Chuck Davies wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 am
mtburb wrote:
Watched one episode yesterday...every few minutes everything froze for a second.
You’re lucky you even got a signal, Just wait when the station moves to RF Channel 3.
By the time that happens...might as well, again, get a whole new antenna.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 pm

I like Red Green and appreciate the info!

His program is one of the reasons I wished Comcast still carried WCMU here in Metro Detroit.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:20 pm

In fact, I still remember when CBET would still air first-run Red Green episodes, even during those periods in which it wasn't anywhere to be found on the WTVS schedule. WTVS itself is notable for being the first US station to air Red Green.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:33 pm

You know they should try to put that channel or channels on Roku or Pluto TV or this new one called Xumo.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Deleted User 14992 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 am
mtburb wrote:
Why didn't WHNE just move to UHF 14. With the right directional pattern, they'd be able to not interfere with CHCH or WLAJ and still cover a good amount of population.

EDIT: Thanks to the FCC being way too generous with their protected contours, WLAJ would be a problem

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:05 pm

WLAJ would be a H*** problem. 73 miles between the transmitter sites. 980kW.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:48 pm

WHNE-TV Website

http://www.whnetv.com/

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 pm

Since UHF 26 is now open, can't WHNE ask for permission to move back to that frequency?

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 am

RingtailedFox wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 pm
Since UHF 26 is now open, can't WHNE ask for permission to move back to that frequency?
WUPW's contour on 26 reaches all the way to Allen Park. It's really a matter of what's more important: Downriver or Oakland County?

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:57 am

UPDATE: A couple days ago, WHNE applied with the FCC to operate as a Digital LPTV on VHF 3, and have requested an exception be made so they can operate at 6.5 kW.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:33 am

6.5 kW? that *could* work... if i'm close enough and the signals's strong enough, will my VHF-Hi/UHF (7-51) antenna be able to pick it up?

or better yet, why not apply for UHF 16? CHWI-DT *barely* reaches Windsor and its signal contour almost exactly follows the Detroit River, and it even has a repeater on UHF 17 in the form of CHWI-DT-60 serving Windsor and area, so any interference would be entirely moot! I know you'd probably have to give up viewers in Lapeer and Pontiac, but otherwise, it could still work...

That way, they can stay in the UHF band and not lose much in the way of viewership. how far out is WSMH's protected contour?

I looked on RabbitEars.info to compare the Longley-Rice estimates for signal strength... WEYI on 18 would cause far too much interference, WSMH and WNEM are not quite as bad... WJRT looks to be the best so far... but I fear all are way too close.

I think a cheaper and quicker option would be to just buy WUDL-LD and shift all programming and subchanels onto there, so you can enjoy being on UHF 35... that or ask to channel-share with them....

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:16 pm

If you're close enough and the signal is strong enough, I'm sure the 7-51 antenna could receive it. That is, in a roughly 2 mile radius.

My antenna I use is an Antennas Direct Clearstream 4Max, it's one of those antennas with the 2 figure-8 components, and I found out my indoor reception is better with only one of those components being used. ($79 I'll never get back) Now, in my home in Melvindale, this system can actually receive CHWI-16 if I put the side of the antenna on my western facing wall, towards the transmitter in Wheatley. Can't get CHWI-17 though, and that's the closest station to my house! I can however, get channel 17's ATSC carrier signal on 488.31 MHz with my scanner, same with 16's carrier. So I'm afraid CHWI-16 is receivable in Metro Detroit.

WSMH's contour goes all the way out to Dexter, Novi, Pontiac, and Shelby Township.

WHNE is literally in the protected contour of WEYI. WJRT goes all the way to Farmington. WNEM won't be a problem, but WHNE will lose Auburn Hills and Novi. WHNE will also have to lose Essex, ON thanks to CFTV.

UHF 30 at 15 kW would have been so do-able. All they'd have to do would be to use a directional pattern similar to this: https://www.rabbitears.info/pattern.php ... 128&erp=15

Obviously, it'll need tweaking, but something similar should do it.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Why is it that WHNE is getting the shitty end of the stick when WUDL and W33BY can stay on a UHF freq.???

Since WMYD moved off of RF21 right next to WHNE, the signal strength has increased for me to 70% and can now pick it up on lake erie in Colchester which Ico uldnt before.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:10 am

windsor wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:12 pm
Why is it that WHNE is getting the shitty end of the stick when WUDL and W33BY can stay on a UHF freq.???
Because W33BY is a class a, and WUDL claimed that UHF band frequency before WHNE. It's a first come first serve world. I'd like to know why WHNE didn't pick 30.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic