Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 14992

What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Just an Idea as to what I think WJR could do for a new line up,
6AM-9AM Paul W. Smith
9AM-Noon Glenn Beck
Noon-3PM Rush
3PM-6PM Guy Gordon
6PM-9PM Mark Levin (Or Get Hannity )
9PM-Midnight Michael Savage
Midnight-5AM Red Eye Radio
5AM -6AM Local News

ZenithCKLW

Re: What WJR Could Change In The Future.

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:08 pm

Not to be dismissive, but no.

My long-term hope for WJR was to eliminate syndication except overnight and bring back local talent. National political pundits... :barf

Not saying Cumulus would never consider your idea, but that would be WJR's foot in the grave for me. If I wanted that, I could stream that, or download a podcast from any of the politically biased websites.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:10 pm

If they do more local they really need to get rid of Beckmann and Albom, They both suck.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:17 pm

the majority of their audience has no idea how to stream or download
it's a legit schedule but the biggest problem is their audience for these shows is dying...literally

how about pulling the left wing stuff altogether, freshen it up with some younger hosts and hot topics
add a few more P-b-P sports, simulcast it on 93.1 and you have the guise of a sports station

this really is no different that what 97.1 is doing, they are just calling is sports. make it hybrid and not call it "sports"

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Chuck Davies wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:10 pm
If they do more local they really need to get rid of Beckmann and Albom, They both suck.
I agree with getting rid of Albom and you can add Guy Gordon as well which would make room for Hannity as someone else has suggested. Acquiring additional local talent instead of syndicated programming would mean spending money. Radio today doesn't want to do that like they did in the 50s and 60s.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:38 pm

As I mentioned, none of what I mentioned was a prediction on what WJR would actually do. For me personally, if more syndication and more biased left or right wing talk was introduced, I wouldn't have any more reason to listen to WJR. I, myself, who I admit is a quickly dying breed: a millenial listening to AM talk radio.

That being said, maintaining the current strategy will only retain an older audience that won't be around much longer. Substituting Glenn Beck for Frank Beckmann is the same strategy, different voice. That's a bad investment in its future and survival. I don't believe FM will save it: that's also dying, although not as fast as AM yet. What audience it has left knows WJR is at 760, which I think is stronger recognition than putting it on FM. Show me some scientific data (not anecdotal "oh I think it helps WBBM") that shows otherwise.

Since the point of this thread is thinking about what WJR could CHANGE to ensure survival, how about this idea? Since WJR is already a sinking ship with its current lineup, what about making 760 AM a "rebroadcaster" of a more national presentation online, marketed toward more than just Metro Detroit? Almost a podcast brand, that if you can't access the online podcast for whatever reason, the programs are also available on flagship 50 kw 760 AM in the midwest?

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:50 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:29 pm
Acquiring additional local talent instead of syndicated programming would mean spending money. Radio today doesn't want to do that like they did in the 50s and 60s.[/color][/b]
Then in my opinion, it looks like radio doesn't want to survive long-term. It doesn't have to be like the 50's and all local. But does it have to all be cookie-cutter, same clock and same syndicated political shows duplicating lots of other stations around the country? I won't feel bad for stations that go silent and radio becomes irrelevant because of its unwillingness to adapt, innovate, and invest. It won't be a surprise by then, broadcasters can't blame anyone else but themselves, we've been having these same debates for a long time now. I don't owe them my attention just because they don't want to spend money.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:11 pm

SixPlusOne wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:29 pm
Chuck Davies wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:10 pm
I agree with getting rid of Albom and you can add Guy Gordon as well which would make room for Hannity as someone else has suggested. Acquiring additional local talent instead of syndicated programming would mean spending money. Radio today doesn't want to do that like they did in the 50s and 60s.
The only local person on WJR that is any good is Paul W. Smith and you’re correct in saying that the corporations don’t want to spend money on local talent. Syndicated is the way for most of the Heritage AM’s or sell them to Ethnic or Godcasters and that could happen to WJR one day, Who knows.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

I don’t want more syndication on WJR. That’s what WDTK is for. If you want these national hosts on radio, try to convince one of the crappy AM stations to flip to talk.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:12 am

Levin is such a spiteful troll. How about a return to mostly local programming.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:06 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm
I don’t want more syndication on WJR. That’s what WDTK is for. If you want these national hosts on radio, try to convince one of the crappy AM stations to flip to talk.
I thought that’s what WJR is a crappy AM station, All the local hosts that suck with the exception of Paul W. Smith, Albom being the crappiest followed by Beckmann no wonder this station is tanking. Here’s an idea flip WJR and WDTK put WDTK on 760 and call it “The Patriot 76” That’s a great idea! (I don’t give myself enough credit).

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 am

Your opinion of the hosts isn't the reason the station is "tanking"; that's causation bias.

I've never heard a radio host yell as much as Levin. Talk about an angry person. I used to find humor in his show and he would fly off the handle but now it's sad. When I want to wind down for the day, that's the last thing I want to hear haha.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

The Savage Weiner is a white supremacist who has NO BUSINESS on the air spreading his hate ala Father Charles Coughlin pre-Kristallnacht .(Nov.9-10,1938.)

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:06 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 am
Your opinion of the hosts isn't the reason the station is "tanking"; that's causation bias.

I've never heard a radio host yell as much as Levin. Talk about an angry person. I used to find humor in his show and he would fly off the handle but now it's sad. When I want to wind down for the day, that's the last thing I want to hear haha.
He is pretty bad. Most of the other Conservative hosts welcome opposing viewpoints and try to debate callers with them. His attitude towards them is not only a turn-off but a poor reflection of his side. And it makes it look like he isnt smart enough to defend his position.

BME

Post by BME » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 pm

<r><QUOTE author="fuzzpower" post_id="571020" time="1555967908" user_id="14957"><s>
fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm
</s>
<e>
</e></QUOTE>
Agreed. A powerful signal like WJR's is being wasted with misogynistic, racist, sexist and homophobic pundits whom half the audience refuses to listen to. I will listen to Paul W. as long as he's not shilling for the big-business community.

More of this national pundit junk, and WJR deserves to go under.</r>

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic