Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

March Nielsen numbers are out for Detroit radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
fuzzpower

Re: March Nielsen numbers are out for Detroit radio

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 pm

WDFN won’t change because it gives Fox Sports Radio clearance in a major market. Much of the weekend until mid afternoon is brokered, plus the weekday morning show, so that is probably enough income for them, considering there are no other real expenses.

I do believe a classic country or oldies format on 1130 would garner small ratings. It would likely be jockless.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:29 pm
WDFN won’t change because it gives Fox Sports Radio clearance in a major market. Much of the weekend until mid afternoon is brokered, plus the weekday morning show, so that is probably enough income for them, considering there are no other real expenses.

I do believe a classic country or oldies format on 1130 would garner small ratings. It would likely be jockless.
Yep. That's about the long and short of it. That's why you won't see any upgrades to the equipment, or sales of stations, or format flips. As long as the syndication is on the air in major and large markets, that's all that really matters. Minuscule ratings and even lower billing doesn't matter. As long as there's clearance for the national stuff, those folks are happy.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 am

Cumulus needs to put WJR on 93.1, their 24-54 audience is non existent, has been dropping dramatically in the past year.
Dumping Savage from afternoons has likely hurt their ratings but certainly didn't hurt their billing (Savage had zero local advertisers).

Still, your point is well taken. WJR is in trouble. I am not sure if transplanting existing programming onto the FM dial would help or not. It's worked in some cases (Washington, D.C., Atlanta) but not in others (Minneapolis, San Diego).

The hoity-toityness of certain WJR hosts could limit the station's appeal on FM.

If the station is only mid 3's in ages 6+, I bet they are no better than the low 2's in ages 25-54. The median WJR listener age is about 60 years old.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:47 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 am
Cumulus needs to put WJR on 93.1, their 24-54 audience is non existent, has been dropping dramatically in the past year.
Dumping Savage from afternoons has likely hurt their ratings but certainly didn't hurt their billing (Savage had zero local advertisers).

Still, your point is well taken. WJR is in trouble. I am not sure if transplanting existing programming onto the FM dial would help or not. It's worked in some cases (Washington, D.C., Atlanta) but not in others (Minneapolis, San Diego).

The hoity-toityness of certain WJR hosts could limit the station's appeal on FM.

If the station is only mid 3's in ages 6+, I bet they are no better than the low 2's in ages 25-54. The median WJR listener age is about 60 years old.
Would Hannity have done much better for them if they still had him?

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:20 am

Can’t understand why you’d put WJR on the FM side when it pumps out 50,000 watts and can be heard clearly everywhere in Detroit, most of Michigan and in surrounding states

RadioRat

Post by RadioRat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:25 am

Realist wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:20 am
Can’t understand why you’d put WJR on the FM side when it pumps out 50,000 watts and can be heard clearly everywhere in Detroit, most of Michigan and in surrounding states
Can it? I live in the Thumb and daytime reception is poor with a lot of static. Doesn't matter if I'm in Sanilac, Tuscola or Huron counties. We're only 55-100 miles away from Detroit. At night, WJR doesn't come in at all. WSCR from Chicago and WABC from New York do. So does WHO out of Iowa. Not JR though. Cumulus has let WJR's signal go to pot...it's not a regional station anymore and it has lost loyalty because of that. Once people switch you off, it is hard to get them back.

When I went to college in the UP I could pick up WJR in Chassell and Ontonagon in a car radio. That was just ten years ago. Guarantee you I couldn't today.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 am

I always get second hand embarrassment when I see posts like:
MrTaterSalad wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:36 am
I would love for a country station that went outside the box and played only real country
Or REAL oldies
Or REAL rock

The REAL country format you're on about all the time isn't on everywhere thriving because there's no market or demand for it.
No market=No money. It's not rocket science.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 am

1) sports radio. Would it help if they stuck to sports? It seems like a lot of shows focus on non-sports topics like food and movies. I suspect a lot of people tuning in to sports radio do so to hear football debates, not conversations about the best superhero theme music. I mean, its sports radio.....what do you think the audience is wanting to hear?
2) i dont listen to WJR at all anymore and i should be their main audience. A grouchy center-right suburban guy. Paul W has always been dull and his enunciation is annoying-and fake. I havent listened to Beckmann in a decade and thought he was dull then and not that informed. My dad loves Limbaughs show. I think he is one of the better ones because he seems more civil with opposing callers and tries to debate them more respectfully. Levin just calls them names and hangs up, which to me works against him. Like he doesnt want to debate or is too angry to tolerate any challenges. Limbaugh happily takes on the challenge and tries to act confident, which, for a syndicated entertainer saying mostly what the guys at the top think the audience wants to hear, is commendable.
3) when I listen to country music, thats what I want to hear. A lot of this new stuff is aimed at the crowd who says "I like anything but country". A quarter of it sounds like it belongs on 96.3. Some has hip hop or rapping-- a genre whose fans are most likely to be in that " I hate country" mindset (punk and metal are the others). I like guys such as Alan Jackson, where the songs are about ordinary, modest folks and lifestyles. They represent the spirit and style of the music. CFCO in SW Ontario does a decent job of it. On Sunday mornings they play a good classic country show and have a Canadian Country showcase featuring stuff you wont ever hear on Detroit stations.....while Detroit stations are playing Sam Hunt, who might as well go full pop.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:46 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 am

hoity-toityness
Kudos on using "hoity-toityness". It's right up there with "I don't hob knob with the jet set".

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 pm
The impact of the new 106.7 WLLZ so far is pretty close to what some of us expected.

I was thinking the station would debut with about a 3 share and grab a couple shares away from WCSX & WRIF on a combined basis.

WLLZ performed even a bit better than that - grabbing a respectable 3.4 share. There may still be upside, as I suspect some people are still discovering the station. WCSX shed 1.3 shares, WRIF shed 1.0 share, and WOMC saw no change.

Also noteworthy are the following:
- 105.1 The Bounce's 4.7 share is its best showing since its first 90 days on the air;
- WJLB climbs to a 4.1, its best performance in probably a year or more;
- 98.7 The Breeze appears to be doing fairly well, at least 6+. It checked in with a 4.0 share.
- WNIC has been fazed only a little bit by The Breeze, still riding strong with a 6.2 share.
- Mix 92.3 is destroying Kiss by a 2:1 margin.
- WDET has pulled even with WUOM over the past couple surveys
- WWJ is beating the living shit out of 760 WJR.

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

WJR's stream has vanished off of many services recently.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 pm

PPM encoded streams show as a separate line item in Nielsen ratings reports.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
I know, I know,, corporate radio and Cumeless would never do it, but I would love for a country station that went outside the box and played only real country. That is, a format that dives deep into the independent and off-music row scene in addition to playing major label country artists. A format that sticks to music that is only country and ditches the bro, pop, and hip-hop sounds of country. If the Luke Bryan's and Blake Shelton's of the world due happen to release actually country sound material I'd still play it, but I would ditch all of the pop and hip-hop influenced music they release from the library. I'd also throw in a classic cut from 1960-1989 once an hour and a 90's cut 1-2 times per hour.

I would brand the 90's country and classic songs thrown into the playlist as "flashbacks" and keep them to no more than a cut or two per hour.

A sample of artists played on a real country format would look something like this:

Major label artists (2000-Present): Aaron Watson, Ashley McBride, Ashley Monroe, Blake Shelton (only the country stuff), Brad Paisley, Brandy Clark, The Band Perry, Bradley Gaskin, Charlie Worsham, Chris Stapleton, Chris Young (again, only the country stuff), Cody Johnson, Craig Campbell, Dierks Bentley, Easton Corbin, Jamey Johnson, Joe Nichols, John Pardi, Josh Turner, Kacey Musgraves, Miranda Lambert, Midland, Mo Pitney, Randy Houser, William Michael Morgan, Zac Brown Band.

Independent label artists (1990-Present): Adam Hood, Angaleena Presley, The Avett Brothers, BR-549, Brandi Carlisle, The Cactus Blossoms, Cody Jinks, Dillon Carmichael, Holly Williams, Jason Eady, Jason Isbell, Josh Abbot Band, Kelcey Waldon, Lydia Loveless, Margo Price, Old 97's, Punch Brothers, Randy Rogers Band, Steve Earle, Sturgill Simpson, Sunny Sweeney, Turnpike Troubadours, Valerie June, Wade Bowen, Waldon Henson, Whitey Morgan & the 78's.

90's Country artists: Alan Jackson, Alison Krauss, Asleep at the Wheel, Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, Clint Black, Colin Raye, David Ball, The Dixie Chicks, Dwight Yoakam, Garth Brooks, Gary Allan, George Strait, Joe Diffie, John Michael Montgomery, LeAnn Rimes, LeeAnn Womack, Lonestar, Lorrie Morgan, Mark Chesnutt, The Mavericks, Patty Loveless, Reba McEntire, Sammy Kershaw, Shenandoah, Tim McGraw, Tracey Lawrence, Travis Tritt, Wade Hayes.

Classic country artists: Alabama, Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, EmmyLou Harris, George Jones, Glen Campbell, Hank Williams Jr., Jessi Colter, June Carter, Johnny Cash, John Anderson, John Denver, Keith Whitley, Loretta Lynn, Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Randy Travis, Rodney Crowell, Roger Miller, Ronnie Milsap, Shelly West, Tammy Wynette, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson.

A four hour block of music, assuming 10-11 songs per hours, would look like this:
Home - Dierks Bentley
Could It Be - Charlie Worsham
Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band
Tin Man - Mianda Lambert
If I Could Make a Livin' - Clay Walker
Missing - William Michael Morgan
Cover Me Up - Jason Isbell
Every Little Honkytonk Bar - George Strait
The Highway - Holly Williams
Forever and Ever Amen - Randy Travis
Merry Go Round - Kacey Musgraves

Doin' What She Likes - Blake Shelton
I Like, I Love It - Tim McGraw
Your Man - Josh Turner
Workin' Woman Blues - Valerie June
Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) - Garth Brooks
Drinkin' Problem - Midland
Mr. Bartender - Bradley Gaskin
Good With God - Bradi Carlisle
Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
Life of Sin - Sturgill Simpson
There Goes the Bride - BR-549

Drink a Beer - Luke Bryan
Weed Instead of Roses - Ashley Monroe
Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
The World - Brad Paisley
Weekender - Margo Price
I Gotta Get Drunk - George Jones
Tequila Eyes - Randy Rogers Band
When I Woke Up Today - Wade Bowen
Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks
A Little More Country Than That - Easton Corbin

Toes - Zac Brown Band
Blue Clear Sky - George Strait
Down the Road - Kenny Chensey
Hell On Heels - Pistol Annies (Miranda Lambert's female group)
Walk the Line (Live at Folsom Prison) - Johnny Cash
Why I Left Atlanta - Jason Eady
Gimme That Girl - Joe Nichols
Better Bad Idea - Sunny Sweeney
Old Songs Like That - Dillion Carmichael
Fancy - Reba McEntire
This format might work in an unrated market, but not in a top 20 market

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:18 am

ftballfan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:40 pm
MrTaterSalad wrote:
I know, I know,, corporate radio and Cumeless would never do it, but I would love for a country station that went outside the box and played only real country. That is, a format that dives deep into the independent and off-music row scene in addition to playing major label country artists. A format that sticks to music that is only country and ditches the bro, pop, and hip-hop sounds of country. If the Luke Bryan's and Blake Shelton's of the world due happen to release actually country sound material I'd still play it, but I would ditch all of the pop and hip-hop influenced music they release from the library. I'd also throw in a classic cut from 1960-1989 once an hour and a 90's cut 1-2 times per hour.

I would brand the 90's country and classic songs thrown into the playlist as "flashbacks" and keep them to no more than a cut or two per hour.

A sample of artists played on a real country format would look something like this:

Major label artists (2000-Present): Aaron Watson, Ashley McBride, Ashley Monroe, Blake Shelton (only the country stuff), Brad Paisley, Brandy Clark, The Band Perry, Bradley Gaskin, Charlie Worsham, Chris Stapleton, Chris Young (again, only the country stuff), Cody Johnson, Craig Campbell, Dierks Bentley, Easton Corbin, Jamey Johnson, Joe Nichols, John Pardi, Josh Turner, Kacey Musgraves, Miranda Lambert, Midland, Mo Pitney, Randy Houser, William Michael Morgan, Zac Brown Band.

Independent label artists (1990-Present): Adam Hood, Angaleena Presley, The Avett Brothers, BR-549, Brandi Carlisle, The Cactus Blossoms, Cody Jinks, Dillon Carmichael, Holly Williams, Jason Eady, Jason Isbell, Josh Abbot Band, Kelcey Waldon, Lydia Loveless, Margo Price, Old 97's, Punch Brothers, Randy Rogers Band, Steve Earle, Sturgill Simpson, Sunny Sweeney, Turnpike Troubadours, Valerie June, Wade Bowen, Waldon Henson, Whitey Morgan & the 78's.

90's Country artists: Alan Jackson, Alison Krauss, Asleep at the Wheel, Brooks & Dunn, Clay Walker, Clint Black, Colin Raye, David Ball, The Dixie Chicks, Dwight Yoakam, Garth Brooks, Gary Allan, George Strait, Joe Diffie, John Michael Montgomery, LeAnn Rimes, LeeAnn Womack, Lonestar, Lorrie Morgan, Mark Chesnutt, The Mavericks, Patty Loveless, Reba McEntire, Sammy Kershaw, Shenandoah, Tim McGraw, Tracey Lawrence, Travis Tritt, Wade Hayes.

Classic country artists: Alabama, Buck Owens, Conway Twitty, Crystal Gayle, Dolly Parton, Don Williams, EmmyLou Harris, George Jones, Glen Campbell, Hank Williams Jr., Jessi Colter, June Carter, Johnny Cash, John Anderson, John Denver, Keith Whitley, Loretta Lynn, Marty Robbins, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Randy Travis, Rodney Crowell, Roger Miller, Ronnie Milsap, Shelly West, Tammy Wynette, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson.

A four hour block of music, assuming 10-11 songs per hours, would look like this:
Home - Dierks Bentley
Could It Be - Charlie Worsham
Whatever It Is - Zac Brown Band
Tin Man - Mianda Lambert
If I Could Make a Livin' - Clay Walker
Missing - William Michael Morgan
Cover Me Up - Jason Isbell
Every Little Honkytonk Bar - George Strait
The Highway - Holly Williams
Forever and Ever Amen - Randy Travis
Merry Go Round - Kacey Musgraves

Doin' What She Likes - Blake Shelton
I Like, I Love It - Tim McGraw
Your Man - Josh Turner
Workin' Woman Blues - Valerie June
Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old) - Garth Brooks
Drinkin' Problem - Midland
Mr. Bartender - Bradley Gaskin
Good With God - Bradi Carlisle
Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson
Life of Sin - Sturgill Simpson
There Goes the Bride - BR-549

Drink a Beer - Luke Bryan
Weed Instead of Roses - Ashley Monroe
Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson
The World - Brad Paisley
Weekender - Margo Price
I Gotta Get Drunk - George Jones
Tequila Eyes - Randy Rogers Band
When I Woke Up Today - Wade Bowen
Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks
A Little More Country Than That - Easton Corbin

Toes - Zac Brown Band
Blue Clear Sky - George Strait
Down the Road - Kenny Chensey
Hell On Heels - Pistol Annies (Miranda Lambert's female group)
Walk the Line (Live at Folsom Prison) - Johnny Cash
Why I Left Atlanta - Jason Eady
Gimme That Girl - Joe Nichols
Better Bad Idea - Sunny Sweeney
Old Songs Like That - Dillion Carmichael
Fancy - Reba McEntire
This format might work in an unrated market, but not in a top 20 market
Might be a neat format for an HD side channel. Otherwise, the only place on terrestrial radio you're gonna hear anything remotely like that is WSM, and while they are (rightly so) beloved by radio geeks, likely most of their listeners are 55+.

Detroit313

Post by Detroit313 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Detroit is one of the few major markets without a Variety Hits station. Bring back Doug FM or name it Jack FM or Lake or something. If they run it will it will do much better that Nash and it doesn't cost much because it would be jockless.

Jack FM could take listeners from WDZH, WNIC, WOMC, WDTW, WCSX. It is the only format that could work.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Silvio Dante wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 am
I love that idea!, Put WJR on 93.1 bring Hannity back and sell 760 maybe to Salem, They could put the programs from 1400 on 760 and sell or shut down 1400 that’s truly a great idea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic