Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Breaking: Nexstar reaches agreement to purchase Tribune

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
tvradiojunkie

Re: Breaking: Nexstar reaches agreement to purchase Tribune

Post by tvradiojunkie » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:06 am
Jackson County really is the only region where there was a substantial OTA coverage gap. With an outdoor antenna in Jackson, I suspect one or more ABC affiliates could still be received (albeit with some snow).

Lansing is only 43 miles from the WJRT TX site, which is 12 miles closer than Muskegon is located to most of the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo market sites.

Didn't one of the Lansing area stations - I want to say WILX - have a secondary ABC affiliation for a time?
I believe I read WJIM/WLNS had an affiliation with ABC until WJRT signed on. From then until WLAJ signed on, if you wanted to watch ABC in Jackson, you had to try to pick up either WXYZ or later WUHQ/WOTV or WDHO/WNWO. Good luck with either.....

WXYZ is still carried on Comcast in Jackson BTW.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:32 pm

WJRT was the official ABC affiliate for Lansing until WLAJ signed on. I believe Jackson’s was WXYZ.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:38 am

Whatever Nexstar is doing, Wall Street is liking it...a lot! Their common stock is up over 61% since its December low. :eek

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 am

MasterB wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm
just read that DOJ has approved spinoffs for Scripps TV Stations from Tribune from DOJ. Which means TEGNA spinoffs will be approved sometime soon from Nexstar & Tribune merger. Got it from B&C website.
The interesting thing about the sale of stations to Scripps is that Nexstar retains an option to buy back WPIX New York, I think for about a year.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:10 pm
Switching to ABC would be a bad idea for WXMI.  Their expanded morning newscast has become quite popular and brings in more local ad revenue than avails during Today or GMA.

WXMI would lose its 10PM newscast and all the ad revenue that goes along with it.

WZZM has been in third place in 11PM newscast ratings forever.  Part of the reason is because CBS and NBC have generated stronger ratings in prime time in West Michigan on a perennial basis than ABC (even when adding channel 13  and channel 41 together).

I'd much rather have FOX's NFL and Big Ten football & basketball coverage than ABC's NBA coverage.  ABC is often a black hole when it comes to weekend sports.   I see filler garbage on WXYZ here in Detroit fairly often when two or more of the other major network affiliates are airing primo stuff.

If the Tigers ever get good again, having weekend baseball & playoff baseball coverage will start to matter again.  Advantage:  FOX.
You guys have seen very little change in this TV market compared to alot of markets. New owners always bring change and with all the stations in the market now having mega owners they'll eventually be subject to change as a part of somebody's larger deal.
The only situation where I can see potential change is WZZM (Tegna) insisting on having exclusive ABC affiliation once WOTV's agreement expires. 

Might Tegna try to pry NBC away from WOOD-TV some day?  Sure, but my guess is they'd be unsuccessful in that pursuit.

I think an affiliation change in Lansing is more likely.  WLAJ is a very weak ABC affiliate.  It would behoove ABC to move that affiliation to Scripps-owned WSYM-TV.
My point was 17 could change affiliation as part of Scripps leveraging a better larger affiliation deal with ABC. As in Scripps could maybe get a better compensation deal with ABC or ABC/Disney syndicates Scripps productions.
Not because of Fox programming.

My above arguement was to disprove the misconseption that Fox is, "the network" right now.

The only things I could see of benifit for 17 as a Fox affiliate now is the aforementioned morning newscast,  the 10pm (both of which could be put on a subchannel) and the NFL.
And I get the feeling ABC/ESPN/Disney is going to push for more NFL broadcast rights in the near future.
MasterB wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:38 pm
The reason why The World Cup was down because USA wasn't in it if they were in it the ratings would've been better than was they were.
The reason the USA was not in the World Cup is because soccer cannot draw viewers in this country. I.E. ratings = sponsors = money.
If soccer could draw money or mass interest in the US you'd have a higher level of organizers then the "Team Disaster" you have now.

I tried watching Fox's World Cup coverage almost everyday. The time difference from Russia was poorly handled and the late night recap show was like watching a Benny Hill skit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:30 am

Looks like the sale is tentatively projected to close in Q4 of this year.

I say that because WXMI and other Tribune stations being picked up by Scripps are currently slated to be adding "Court TV" - which launches in May - this coming November.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Yeah, I saw that WXMI was adding Court TV on the Court TV website last week coming in Nov as well. Which means that Antenna TV & This TV move to Nexstar as they are going to be the new owners of those networks when the merger is final in the fall. And I can see a swap between Nexstar & Scripps for a couple of the Katz networks that Nexstar has in this market.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat May 04, 2019 10:38 pm

When Court TV said it was returning I did read Tribune signed 20 TV stations onto Court TV I think 3 or 4 TV stations will put Court TV when it returns in 4 days then the 17 other TV stations in Nov LA, NYC, Chi along with WXMI Fox17. Nexstar, TEGNA also has signed a few TV stations as well for Court TV read that on TVNewsCheck website that's how I knew about 17 Tribune stations putting Court TV in Nov.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu May 09, 2019 7:57 am

Interesting revenue breakout of Nexstar's first quarter reported yesterday:
Local ad revenue, $188.2M (down 2.6%)
National ad revenue, $63.7M (down 5%)
Political revenue, $1.3M (down 85.9%, of course)
Retransmission fees, $313.97M (up 13.8%)
Digital, $52.8M (down 15.9%)
Trade/other, $6.7M (down 4.6%)

Management acknowledges negative revenue metrics due to it being a non-Olympics year. The percentages are perhaps not entirely applicable to Grand Rapids, but still present a good indicative illustration of traditional broadcast television's business model going forward.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

Bear in mind some - but certainly nowhere near all - retransmission fees earned by local stations must be remitted to the networks with which they are affiliated (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) as part of network affiliation agreement terms.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm

FTVLive is reporting that once Nexstar & Tribune merger is approved that Nexstar will sell Seattle, Denver & Cleveland to Fox part of the agreement with Fox for affiliation agreement. This time Fox will finally get an O&O in Seattle.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:34 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:54 pm
FTVLive is reporting that once Nexstar & Tribune merger is approved that Nexstar will sell Seattle, Denver & Cleveland to Fox part of the agreement with Fox for affiliation agreement. This time Fox will finally get an O&O in Seattle.
In Cleveland, it would be going back to FOX (they owned it in the 2000s)

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:13 pm

From FTLive that the Nexstar & Tribune merger could be approved any day now. I also read from Plaine-Dealer that Nexstar wants to keep WJW but Fox wants it back again so some TV stations could still be in limbo after the merger I say Nexstar should sell the TV stations that Fox wants if they want WJW then sell WJW to them, I think it is who blinks first Nexstar or Fox as the Plaine-Dealer said.

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:08 pm

MasterB wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:13 pm
From FTLive that the Nexstar & Tribune merger could be approved any day now. I also read from Plaine-Dealer that Nexstar wants to keep WJW but Fox wants it back again so some TV stations could still be in limbo after the merger I say Nexstar should sell the TV stations that Fox wants if they want WJW then sell WJW to them, I think it is who blinks first Nexstar or Fox as the Plaine-Dealer said.
Fox has long coveted KCPQ in Seattle and has made it known that they will do what they can to buy the station after the merger clears. Plus selling WJW to Fox gives Nexstar a little bit more breathing room with the 39% ownership cap, as WJW is a VHF station in both RF and PSIP.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 pm

DOJ approves Nexstar & Tribune merger FCC is the only one that has to approve the deal.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Start looking for the lighthouse on Fox17.

In a 3-2 vote Monday the FCC approved the Nexstar purchase and the divestiture of stations to Scripps and Tegna.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic