Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WODJ Jingle Package

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
blakeharms

WODJ Jingle Package

Post by blakeharms » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 am

For those of you feeling nostalgic... I recently found the jingle package for WODJ-FM Grand Rapids, produced from ReelWorld in 1999. It's about halfway down the page here: http://masterofradio.com/jingles-page-2/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WODJ Jingle Package

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

B93 jingle package from late 90's can be found about one-third of the way down on page 3! :hat

http://masterofradio.com/jingles-page-3/

(Search for "Nobody Plays More Country.")

I never remember hearing the weather sounder from the package on the air, but I could be mistaken about that.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm

On YouTube, there's a video containing every cut of the package TM Century custom produced for the old i96 WVTI.

Very impressive that a medium market station - an upstart, to boot - was willing to spend the coin to have a brand new jingle package custom produced.

i96 is a station that should've had a much longer life span.

blakeharms

Post by blakeharms » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm
B93 jingle package from late 90's can be found about one-third of the way down on page 3! :hat

http://masterofradio.com/jingles-page-3/

(Search for "Nobody Plays More Country.")

I never remember hearing the weather sounder from the package on the air, but I could be mistaken about that.
I have been listening to this page for months and completely missed this - thank you very much for sharing! Actually, there's a 1995 version of the package on page 2 as well! Man, how I wish stations would still play these jingle packages... I am one generation too late. That's why I appreciate stations like WCSG, WFGR, and a few others who still have complete packages.

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am

Agreed Metal. I 96 was put on to flank WLHT. What it did was start to skim numbers from what was then an obviously weaker station, WOOD-FM or "Star". In the initial release of the ARB, WVTI took a number 1 share of 25-54 in the first month. Curiosity to be sure was part of it, but. The air talent was good, or in my case average, the music was researched. and the marketing was great. So what happens? WOOD Fm takes a hit, and Gary Berkowitz comes in to change WVTI to a full blown CHR with 2.5 hours between power cuts. It was brutal.
Out of the biz since 2007-
sd

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:02 pm

I thought i96 sounded best as Mainstream CHR actually. Ratings wise, they did very well with that format.

I think WSNX went too vanilla after CC purchased 104.5. The execution sounded limp compared to what i96 had been doing, and in the process i96 was shifted back to Hot AC. WSNX should have stayed rhythmic and i96 should have stayed CHR/Pop with an adult lean.

Steve Dirksen

Post by Steve Dirksen » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 am

You haven't heard CHR until you hear me front sell the Spice Girls.

format this

Post by format this » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 am

Steve Dirksen wrote:You haven't heard CHR until you hear me front sell the Spice Girls.
Oh say what you want, what you really, really want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Steve Dirksen wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am
Agreed Metal. I 96 was put on to flank WLHT. What it did was start to skim numbers from what was then an obviously weaker station, WOOD-FM or "Star". In the initial release of the ARB, WVTI took a number 1 share of 25-54 in the first month. Curiosity to be sure was part of it, but. The air talent was good, or in my case average, the music was researched. and the marketing was great. So what happens? WOOD Fm takes a hit, and Gary Berkowitz comes in to change WVTI to a full blown CHR with 2.5 hours between power cuts. It was brutal.
Out of the biz since 2007-
sd
Remember "Way Back Wednesdays"? The music mix sounded almost AC on those days to me. They'd go from something like "Dancing Queen" into '90s gold like "Run-Around."

I-96 was my go-to station when I started at Aquinas in the fall of '98, but eventually the repetition and tight playlist got to me and I switched to 103.3 WKFR (which I needed my Drake SW8 to hear, as reception was impossible on less selective radios thanks to WFUR). I even started to choose Y102 out of Big Rapids over I-96.

I also remember the Mix 96 era prior to I-96. I only got to hear the station once, but I thought they sounded pretty damn good as a Hot AC (then), better than Q95-5 in Detroit.

blakeharms

Post by blakeharms » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 pm

For what it's worth... it sounds like 107.3 WTNR has also added a "Thunder" jingle package. It doesn't seem to include a legal ID and I'm not sure how many different cuts there are. Still, it's cool to hear the Thunder jingle.

blakeharms

Post by blakeharms » Wed May 08, 2019 5:43 pm

One more note... I found the 96.1 WAKX "Young Country" jingle package from 1994 on that same page, entitled "Country Wildfire."

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu May 09, 2019 6:44 pm

It's interesting to hear those, as I'd been offered an on-air job at WODJ in 1998, but was in a different market and wasn't ready to move on at that time. I can imagine using the package amongst the playlist songs, and how it'd sound.

I sat in on a jingle tracking session once - it was fascinating to watch the singers hit the mark time after time. I wondered how it might have been back in the 50's and 60's.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic