Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Deleted User 14935

Re: FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:34 pm
I just counted 42 stations no longer available on the list. That's pretty dramatic. One has to wonder whether the big owners wanted to turn the band to babble so only their stations are listenable. What did they get? Sirius XM and Alexa, "I'll play whatever I want." They got what they deserved for manipulation.
And more to come my friend, If HD Radio is ever mandated that will be the end of radio, Listeners will just simply throw their radios away and as they say in the movies “THE END”.

k8jd

Re: FM Stations That Used To Be Listenable In SE MI, But Now Difficult Or Impossible

Post by k8jd » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:03 pm

"Translators and "boosters" have really wrecked the FM DXing hobby. Also the sensitivity selectivity of many "Modern" receivers is not what it was in the high end old tube and some early solid state equipment.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:28 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:15 pm
Translators are parasites.
I think you're actually right. Translators feed off a host station to get stronger :razz. They are parasites!

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:25 pm

For me its WIOT Toledo,FM96 London,WMMS Clev.,Q106 Jackson,various formats on 107.9 & 107.3 Clev.

The FCC ruined the band in various ways and wonders why FM radio is dying a slow death............

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:22 pm

I’m not too far from the airport. I used to pick up WRVF, WKKO, and whatever 105.5 was called fairly well. Now, they are either gone or with WRVF, an unlistenable mix of mess.

WIOT and WGTE are still fairly decent.

I could even get a scratchy FM96 out of London on occasion. No more.

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:13 pm

windsor wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:25 pm
For me its WIOT Toledo,FM96 London,WMMS Clev.,Q106 Jackson,various formats on 107.9 & 107.3 Clev.

The FCC ruined the band in various ways and wonders why FM radio is dying a slow death............
I'd add BX93, 93.5 CBCL and 103.9 from Woodstock to that list as well. I used to get all three regularly when I lived in Macomb County. CBCL might still come in well in northeastern Macomb County, but the other two are probably near impossible (92.7 thanks to not only W224CC but CJSP). A lot of my radio listening when I lived in Macomb County was to distant stations that would probably be near impossible to hear nowadays: WTGV, WTWR, CFGX, WGRT, WWCK (AM 1570 was simulcasting the FM then and I could easily get the AM when the FM signal wasn't so good).

I live in northern Washtenaw County and used to be able to get WDZZ before the WAAM translator signed on, and WCRZ is nigh near unlistenable now thanks to the Home.FM translator in Dexter. Home's 98.3 translator in Chelsea was off the air for a time a few years ago and I could get what was then My 98-3 out of Monroe with no trouble. Not anymore. I also get the K-Love translator in Holly on 98.3 with a little fiddling of the antenna. 99.9 and 102.3 are also a mess between Detroit/Windsor and Toledo. I'm not sure what the status of the Smile FM translator on 102.3 in Pittsfield Township is, but it appears to not be on the air right now - I was just in Pittsfield Township this evening and 102.3 was chiefly WPOS.

Fortunately I live far enough away from Detroit that most of the Lansing/Jackson stations are still listenable here. I get good signals from 90.5, 94.1, 94.9, 97.5, 99.1, 100.7 and 106.1 and noisy-but-still-there signals from 88.1, 92.9 and 101.7.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic