Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gray/Raycom deal officially done, WTOL now a Tegna station

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Gray/Raycom deal officially done, WTOL now a Tegna station

Post by mtburb » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:19 pm

This was announced just tonight.
https://www.marketscreener.com/GRAY-TEL ... -27815655/

Would be very interesting to see Tegna's graphics pop up sometime soon on WTOL/WUPW.

Your thoughts?

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

mtburb

Re: Gray/Raycom deal officially done, WTOL now a Tegna station

Post by mtburb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:57 pm

EnbyCee wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:39 pm
Uh, most of us don't automatically know what Tegna's graphics look like. Do you have any examples?
What I can tell you for now is that WTOL is currently having some sort of identity crisis-for now, they're still using the final Raycom graphics, but their copyright tag now shows this:

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:49 pm

This is what you'll soon be seeing on WTOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11eKCc9rrOE

The music package is “C Clarity” by Sixième Son... you either love it or hate it. And yes, they saved on the budget for vowels with the “NXT” teasers. Graphics aren't that bad... the 2012 graphics package Gannett commissioned had a bit better functionality (the companion music theme with that 2012 package? "This Is Home!") but I give TEGNA credit for minimizing things.

As long as TEGNA doesn’t interfere too much with things (and they don't that much with WKYC, there are some dog stations in the chain like WTSP that TEGNA corporate micromanages), WTOL/WUPW will more than hold their own. Remember that Toledo is a de facto two-station news town.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Someone please tell me that Gray won't put CBS on 13.2 beside ABC on 13.1 (see KVLY -only they added CBS to NBC in that case), and leave WTOL as a big pack of 480i subchannels (see KXJB).

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 am

innate-in-you wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:04 pm
Someone please tell me that Gray won't put CBS on 13.2 beside ABC on 13.1 (see KVLY -only they added CBS to NBC in that case), and leave WTOL as a big pack of 480i subchannels (see KXJB).
Gray cleanly sold off WTOL and the SSA of WUPW. The intellectual properties of both stations are under the control of TEGNA. Neither station will lose anything to a sub of WTVG.

The deal with TEGNA HAD to be clean so the Raycom merger could get approval from the FCC and DOJ. Due to Sinclair fumbling their merger with Tribune thanks to their outright dishonesty to both agencies, Sinclair cannot buy or sell a station at this time, and other companies have to act as transparent as possible.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 am

Just my opinion, WTOL really made a mistake not investing in seasoned talent years ago. I'm not making the claim that the newscasts are terrible but compared to WTVG the reporters are very "green." What's the story on Tegna? Will we see improvements at WTOL or are they budget slashers?

As far as the graphics, I don't hate them. It's a very clean package.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:55 pm

EnbyCee wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:31 pm
I can't believe WTOL promoted Andrew Kinsey to lead anchor when Jerry Anderson retired. Heavy breathing and lip smacking does not make for a pleasant listen.
To this day, I still think WTOL should've just hired Laura Emerson to succeed Jerry. I've wondered where she's ended up now ever since she got kicked out of WNWO in it's transition to a WSBT semi-satellite with NBC programming.

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:03 am

So, they've gone down this embarrassing road...

https://twitter.com/Toledo_Tweets/statu ... 9627771904

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:56 pm

An explanation is in order here: did WTOL think it was April 1st? Trying to bring young viewers to 11 and let boomers go over to WTVG?
And yes, WTOL needed a more seasoned anchorman- surprised that they didn't try to steal Bill Horman from 13, or smart money would have been on Laura Emerson to train some youngsters - you do want a trustful long-term anchor, and when your sports and weatherman have been there the longest, it doesn't give a sense of authority.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:39 am

burytheneedle wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:03 am
So, they've gone down this embarrassing road...

https://twitter.com/Toledo_Tweets/statu ... 9627771904
I noticed it gone viral yesterday. Sad,

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 am

There's a Toledo Blade column that says this is an online-only video, part of a Toledo Public Schools-led campaign to motivate students. (Sorry, lost the link.)

Still a bad "look", but there is the context...

burytheneedle

Post by burytheneedle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:40 am

WOHO, didn't WTOL fire Horman back when he was to replace Jeff Heitz. WTVG has done a great job at picking up people WTOL tossed out. Melissa Voetsch comes to mind. Horman and Voetsch at 6 and 11 would have made an amazing team, giving Lee and Diane a run for their money. The current team, outside of Dan, Robert, and a couple others is VERY small market.

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:51 pm

Inundated wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:41 am
There's a Toledo Blade column that says this is an online-only video, part of a Toledo Public Schools-led campaign to motivate students. (Sorry, lost the link.)

Still a bad "look", but there is the context...
Thank goodness I went to Washington Local then! :rollin

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:03 pm

As of today, WTOL/WUPW were officially Tegna-ized. Hello “C Clarity”.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:03 pm

I’m Super jealous of the TEGNA graphics package but then again Toledo has to have something good when it comes to media in this city after all Toledo’s radio market still BLOWS! I Will say, this graphics package definitely makes WTOL 11 stand out, it’s much better than Gray’s cheesy opening for 13abc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic