Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 Detroit Tigers

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
matt1

2019 Detroit Tigers

Post by matt1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:59 pm

What do you think about the Tigers this year?? I say second place behind the Cleveland Indians at the end of September & the playoffs.

Deleted User 4520

Re: 2019 Detroit Tigers

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:43 pm

I'm not expecting much from them this year. Prolly finish 4th or 5th place in their division.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Wow...2nd place is very optimistic. That would be great. I feel like a last place will be in order and lose about 95 games. I just want to see growth from the young players and the ones brought up during the year. I like Gardenhire, he seems to maintain a positive attitude, I'd enjoy playing for him. I'll be at opening day and about 6-7 other games during the year.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm hoping they fold.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Mr.Transistor wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:50 pm
I just want to see growth from the young players and the ones brought up during the year. I like Gardenhire....
Ditto! :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:17 pm

Vegas has them at 67.5 wins. I’d say that’s actually a good one, I think I’ll put my money on just over. Still have them in 4th, just ahead of KC.

The thing to watch about this team is how well will those prospects brought in during the 2017 blowout progress.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:43 pm

67.5 sounds like a damn good estimate to me. I actually said "between 65 and 70 games" when someone asked me my opinion on this very question earlier today. I'm thinking 66 or 67 wins is more realistic than 68+, though. Either way, this team will be a hot pile of garbage, just like the past two seasons.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:32 am

It looks as if CF JaCoby Jones is gonna be out for awhile with a semi-serious shoulder injury sustained while diving for a ball. He's still having a tough time with pitch recognition, batting below the Mendoza line in spring training. I'd like to see last year's Rule 5 pick-up Victor Reyes platoon with Mikie Mahtook in CF to start the season.

Ex-Tiger catcher James McCann is hitting well this spring for the White Sox, but so is his ostensible replacement Grayson Greiner. I viewed catcher as a potential problem position for the Tigers this year.

(edit)
It looks like last year's waiver pick-up Dustin Peterson is slated to take Jones' roster spot with Mahtook and versatile Niko Goodrum splitting time in CF. Peterson had a productive spring before being assigned to minor league camp; he's never played CF at any level.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:59 pm

5-3 after eight games - not a bad start. :8) Pitching has been great!

- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:27 pm

I didn't expect this team to be atop its division at 7-3 based on pitching and defense.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Team is off to a pretty nice start. The pitching looks great so far. The bats need to wake up fast, though. The Indians’ rotation is hard enough to beat even if their bats weren’t off to a slow start.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:18 am

I have to admit I'm disappointed starter Matt Moore is lost for the season, both for him and me. For him, he's lost his chance to pitch for a contender after the trade deadline a la Mike Fiers last season. For me, I love watching crafty veteran southpaws a la Tommy John and Frank Tanana. At least we'll finally get to see if Daniel Norris is ready for regular rotation duty.

With the injury bug hitting the team more often than anticipated, we may see these highly touted young bucks currently in the minors sooner rather than later.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Moore would have crashed and burned had he stuck around longer. He is washed up.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:47 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm
Moore would have crashed and burned had he stuck around longer.
You don't know that, Fuzz. We'll never know. He was pitching very well when he went down, giving up zero runs and three hits in ten innings with nine strikeouts and only one walk. Some of these veteran pitchers are very successful in reinventing themselves.

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 am

With the season rapidly turning into a major dumpster fire -- three of the original five starting pitchers at season's open are on the shelf and a fourth got hammered yesterday -- the question becomes do the Tigers bring up their minor league hotshots much sooner than planned. I say no; not only are they probably not ready to face MLB hitters, but there's also their service time/team control to consider for contractual reasons. I remember veteran Blaine Hardy pitching quite well in a starting role last season; stretch him out and let's give him the nod for the rotation. Norris and rookie Turnbull are looking like they "belong"...so far. Strong-armed Drew VerHagen was DFA'd yesterday after yielding six runs in the eighth inning.

As far as the hitters are concerned... :rolleyes

Interesting comparative stat:
Recently DFA'd outfielder Mikie Mahtook is hitting .360 with a 1.189 OPS in 64 plate appearances at Toledo. Meanwhile, our supposed center-fielder of the future, Daz Cameron, is hitting .194 with a .651 OPS for the Mudhens, albeit in 115 PAs.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic