Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
stopnswop2

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Steve Korvette wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:54 pm
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:52 pm
Steve Korvette wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:48 pm
Maybe Beasley should consider bringing the Magic brand back to 94.7 and kick “The Breeze” 98.7’s ass. Just a thought!
They would have to be completely mental to change formats on a station that has been in the top 3 for many many surveys.

Nash flipping would work though.
True, So bring it back to 105.1, Sorry forgot WCSX was up near the top. (For now!)
Yeah.
I'm curious to see what kind of dent 106.7 may put in them

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Now if I were Cumulus, I would bring the W4 calls to 93.1 and do Classic Country.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:57 pm

And get rid of their precious NASH icon?
😲😂😂

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Yep! Bad karma with the Nash brand, Make it WWWW FM 93.1 Detroit’s Classic Country and hire some of the older W4 personalities like Chuck Santoni, Jill Forsythe and even Jim Puluchi (I know I misspelled his name) If this resurrection of old Stations is a fad well let’s do it with 93.1

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm

I still love The Breeze. Music strongly affects my emotions, especially in times of stress. In my times of increasing stress and anxiety, the slower music helps me.

I can’t blame people who are typically hard rockers to not like The Breeze. I get it. But that opinion means as much to me as what they would think if I thought their harder rock formats sucked.

One can argue “but poor promos, changing playlists, talent, etc” but I think that will simply slow its growth, not make it a failure. I think the Breeze has a chance to eventually unseat WNIC in certain demographics and environments, such as at work. Give it time. Success is very unpredictable. Failure is easy to predict in such evolving times for radio. The current environment in radio makes changing formats into an instant success very rare. I think they’re still experimenting to find traction, or purposely changing things up to keep it from sounding like it did last week.

By the way, no offense to anyone at all, but I’m glad this station is very light on Madonna. Blegh! I can get that on literally any other AC station if I wanted. We want a unique station, but are upset Madonna isn’t featured like on every other AC station? Again, blegh!

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:21 pm

The station actually calms you down, I’m not trying to be funny, I just didn’t think any Detroit station still has that type of an effect on people that much in today’s technical world. I figured that anyone that listens at work or at home it’s just considered background music.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:33 pm

I think it's cute that someone who clearly doesn't even listen to the station has determined "it blows".
But before coming to that conclusion, decides they should go urban to do better. And you say that in a topic about them already going that direction and suffered poor ratings because of it

So you don't listen nor read the title of the theads you reply to...

Okay then. Lol
The only "cute" comment is from you...essentially claiming numerous billboards along busy freeways and roads is immaterial from a promotions standpoint.

I've listened to the station plenty to able to form an opinion of its programming.

The only urban lean I heard lasted all of 48 to 72 hours maybe, which isn't even remotely close to be able to make any sort of ratings-based conclusion. That most likely seems to be a function of someone setting up selector rotations incorrectly.

I look forward to the ratings books where this station will likely fail to crack the top 15 in A25-54.

Now, with all of that said, there are a couple points where (I think) you & I actually agree!

For example, I agree with you about the timing of the format change. Why do it when WNIC is in all-Christmas mode? That programming is the most popular music programming of any station all year long in this market, and that's been the case for many years. 98.7 completely BLEW IT by not sticking with all-Christmas music itself through at least December 25.

I suspect we also agree that Ian Richards is a poor choice for afternoon drive on a station with this format. There are SO MANY better options out there. Too bad, as the air talent in other dayparts is a good fit.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm

BTW, what the hell is going on with the station's music log? I like how it looks like two stations melded together. If you take the rhythmic party hits (Blu Cantrell, Eminem, House of Pain, Usher, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Petey Pablo)...one has the makings of a great radio station. Hey, if that were the music AMP Radio were playing, maybe they would've been able to grab some listeners over the age of 16!

https://987thebreeze.radio.com/playlist

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm
BTW, what the hell is going on with the station's music log? I like how it looks like two stations melded together. If you take the rhythmic party hits (Blu Cantrell, Eminem, House of Pain, Usher, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Petey Pablo)...one has the makings of a great radio station. Hey, if that were the music AMP Radio were playing, maybe they would've been able to grab some listeners over the age of 16!

Hey Mark-
This is a combined log for Breeze, Smooth Jazz (HD2) and their HD3 channel. WOMCs had all three HDs in their log, too...it’s crazy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:55 pm

And yet companies like Entercom probably tout their "digital capabilities" when presenting themselves to advertising clients! Unbelievable. Thanks for the info.

The #1 reason listeners visit a radio station's web site, I presume, is to get song & artist info. Entercom cannot even get that right.

While I'm on this rant, it also pisses me off that the mobile versions of all Beasley station web sites lack song & artist info.

Who are the morons who make these digital content decisions?

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:58 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:17 pm
I still love The Breeze. Music strongly affects my emotions, especially in times of stress. In my times of increasing stress and anxiety, the slower music helps me.
Exactly the same here.
Love songs and Soft Rock really get to me. They make me feel things that I thought I stopped feeling a long long time ago.
They also really help me get through episodes of depression .

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:01 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:37 pm

LMAO.
I know it's hilarious I made a post on that a few weeks ago. (Yes this has been going on for weeks now).

Entercom is always having playlist issues it seems.
Heck, for almost 2 months they didn't even have the playlists working period.. for every station.
Like wtf

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:27 pm

I wanted to take a minute to say I absolutely love Steve's suggestion for 93.1!

Cumulus already owns the W4 intellectual property to boot (it is used on their Country station in Ann Arbor).

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:27 pm
I wanted to take a minute to say I absolutely love Steve's suggestion for 93.1!

Cumulus already owns the W4 intellectual property to boot (it is used on their Country station in Ann Arbor).
Thanks MW, For the compliment.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:43 am
stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:33 pm
Oh. I completely forgot they also play "La Isla Bonita" (I think I spelled that right, lol).

But you do have a point. Only 2 Madonna songs played only a few times a week is just not acceptable for an AC station
WOMC playing the hell out of her is not an excuse for WDZH not to play her. WOMC plays a lot of Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney but WDZH plays them a lot too and in many cases the same exact songs.

The iHeart Breezes play Crazy For You, Like A Prayer, Live to Tell, Borderline, La Isla Bonita, Take A Bow and more all the time.

It is not like we are asking them to play Vogue and Into The Groove. Lol. Those are for WNIC and WOMC.
Live to Tell is playing atm

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic