Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is Verizon F-ing Me?

The place to chat about audio/video devices & software, mobile phones & mobile plans, computer hardware & software, and other electronic gadgets.
craig11152

Is Verizon F-ing Me?

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Going to Jamaica tomorrow for a step daughter wedding
3 phones on account...
1 apple phone bought from Verizon ..still 8 months of payments
2 Moto G4 phones bought unlocked from Best Buy (they support both GMS and CDMA)

I went on the website today to sign up the 3 phones for Verizon's $10 a day international plan whereby if you text, call or use data its $10 for that day. If you don't its zero dollars.
The website said the iPhone was compatible with the plan but the Moto's were not compatible.

After talking to a rep on the phone I was told the Moto G4 phones are not compatible BUT they will work on an International plan at $40 a month per phone. I argued with the guy that it made no technical sense but it was a corporate decision.
He claimed there were technical reasons he couldn't explain.....

My question to you experts...
If they can make my phone work in Jamaica for $40 a month is there some technical reason it might not work for $10 a day on an as needed basis?
Is the Iphone somehow using different connections to "the clouds" than the Moto G4?
I'm convinced they are "punishing me" because I didn't buy their phone and I am not under contract.
But I will take off my tinfoil hat if one of you smarter than me guys can explain why.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Deleted User 4520

Re: Is Verizon F-ing Me?

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm

Not exactly what you are asking, but it was my understanding there is nothing to really sign up to. I was under the impression that when you use your phone out of the country you are automatically billed for each day you use your phone overseas. I remember getting texts when I got real close to Canada in the Soo about being charged $5 or $10 per day if you used Canadian towers.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 pm

The only thing I could hypothesize is that the way the Moto and iPhones connect to Verizon domestically are identical, but they may connect to different international towers or networks differently from each other. Not exactly sure why it affects billing, just a theory.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:32 pm

After talking to a rep on the phone I was told the Moto G4 phones are not compatible BUT they will work on an International plan at $40 a month per phone. I argued with the guy that it made no technical sense but it was a corporate decision. He claimed there were technical reasons he couldn't explain.....
I have had the same issue with the G4. I moved to a G6 and I am all set. It's not Verizon, but how the phone interacts with their partners. It was even a problem with Canada. The other option you have is to buy a cheap local SIM card that allows you to use the phone with your family.

I love the new G6 if upgrading is an option for you. Pretty cheap on Amazon.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:05 am

The difference is probably related to the phone's VOLTE support (or Voice Over LTE). Verizon routed it's voice/texts calls through 3G (CDMA) until recently. VOLTE uses HSPA which is same protocol used by AT&T and other providers.

HSPA probably is cheaper than CDMA in foreign countries, if your phone supports it.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 am

Thr Verizon branded prepaid G4 Play doesn't support either VoLTE or international TravelPass. I got an E4 for VoLTE, and had to move to an E5 Play for TravelPass. Any newer ones should work fine.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:02 pm

I am here posting through the hotel WiFi.
My wife's phone is now working at $1.79 a minute for calls 25¢ per text sent, 5¢ per text received and something like $2.50 per mb of data.
So they can make the phone work they just wanted to sell me the most expensive option.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Verizon is TOTAL TRASH.

Switch to T-Mobile

Music is my life.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:48 am

I have them, for just a flip phone there like 42$ a month. Kinda expensive. My parents have always had T-mobile.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I have to say.... we are American end-users. We exist for no reason other than to be robbed by giant corporations. It sucks.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:47 am

Traveling international can get odd with your cellphone. I went to Tokyo about a year ago and was all set to rent a WiFi hotspot to get me through the trip (I was advised to just pick one up at the airport) when I found out that as a Sprint subscriber I didn't need to do anything for internet service on my iPhone. Just turned on the phone and I was up and running and if I recall, no international charges. Turns out Sprint is owned by SoftBank, a Japanese company. In fact their headquarters was in the same office tower complex as was my hotel. Go figure.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 am

I am going to try Google Fi.
Turns out the phone I've had my eye on , the Moto G6 is fully compatible AND it's on sale for $99. The only string attached is I have to activate the phone so I have to buy one month of service @ $20 plus data usage.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 am

I moved to a Moto X4, still on Verizon prepaid. Got it on sale at a low price of sub-$150.

But it is unlocked, and very much Fi compatible if I decide to go that route.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:24 am

I got my G6 about 5-6 days ago and switched to Google Fi.
So far I am happy but I haven't used it outside of town. The only thing I've noticed is my Bluetooth phone reception is not the best when the call is going through WiFi. Seems fine when I'm in a car presumably using a T-Mobile or Sprint tower.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic