Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CBSDetroit62

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
lidoshuffle

Re: CBSDetroit62

Post by lidoshuffle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm

Yes indeed, the day CBS took over WGPR 62, it was a sad day in Detroit broadcast history as the classic, iconic legendary "New Dance Show" was cancelled, never a sadder day in Detroit broadcast history, well maybe when the old "Watts Club Mozambique" burned down a few years ago (legendary commercials seen on The New Dance Show)....now on with the countdown...

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm
People have suggested that CBS re-brand WWJ as "CBS 15" (for its cable positions in Detroit and Windsor, which would be much more tolerable than 62)... though I think they really failed themselves by not getting onto a standardized cable position like 3 or 4 across the viewing area.... but even 44 would be not too bad.. though the FCC might say "you have to use your former analog channel number for your virtual channel..."
Yeah, WGPR/WWJ's cable position history has been shaky at best. On the Wyandotte Cable system, they used to be on cable 61 until the 1999 rebuild, when they moved to cable 3, which had previously been occupied by ESPN, which moved to cable 31. On Wyandotte Cable 61 now? The We network.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:47 pm

mtburb wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm
RingtailedFox wrote:
People have suggested that CBS re-brand WWJ as "CBS 15" (for its cable positions in Detroit and Windsor, which would be much more tolerable than 62)... though I think they really failed themselves by not getting onto a standardized cable position like 3 or 4 across the viewing area.... but even 44 would be not too bad.. though the FCC might say "you have to use your former analog channel number for your virtual channel..."
Yeah, WGPR/WWJ's cable position history has been shaky at best. On the Wyandotte Cable system, they used to be on cable 61 until the 1999 rebuild, when they moved to cable 3, which had previously been occupied by ESPN, which moved to cable 31. On Wyandotte Cable 61 now? The We network.
I don’t think the FCC would care what the station is called, Remember there was a time WWJ-TV didn’t even say Channel 62 it was just “CBS Detroit” They could even say CBS 3 and still be on RF 44.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

well, the FCC got super pissed at WJLP in New York City because they wanted to identify as 3.1 instead of 33.1, as required by the FCC. WFSB in Hartford and KYW in Philly both objected to that number, saying it was too close-spaced to them... and closer to home, WHNE-LD had to apply for a new number, since their old one in Flint (26.1) is used here in Detroit by CHWI-DT-60... they asked for 14, since it was not used nearby, and the FCC said "sure, have fun."

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm

They objected to 3.1 or the actual 33.1?

Music is my life.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Some stations did successfully use only their cable position in their names, though still using their old analog numbers for PSIPs on their aerial signals -- the Fort Myers market is a classic example (WBBH channel 20 ID-ing as "NBC 2", WFTX channel 36 as "Fox 4", etc.).

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm

RingtailedFox wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm
well, the FCC got super pissed at WJLP in New York City because they wanted to identify as 3.1 instead of 33.1, as required by the FCC. WFSB in Hartford and KYW in Philly both objected to that number, saying it was too close-spaced to them... and closer to home, WHNE-LD had to apply for a new number, since their old one in Flint (26.1) is used here in Detroit by CHWI-DT-60... they asked for 14, since it was not used nearby, and the FCC said "sure, have fun."
Not too sure about this statement, channel 14 is lighting up in Lansing at just under 1,000,000 watts. Pretty close...

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:27 am

Can Channel 62 just call it something else they are on RF 44 they should be CBS 44 just think a new image and new identity. WWJ -TV 44 Detroit
Now that we are all digital It would make sense to me to switch to virtual channel 3 (CBS 3), that way you would have the main networks close together 2,3,4,7.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:20 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm
They objected to 3.1 or the actual 33.1?
They objected to 3.1 and even 3.10 (as the station tried to go by) and told them "you have to use 33.1 since we allocated that to you, even though you broadcast on VHF 3, or you'll have to sign off." and the station signed off the air for a day (i think in protest), but eventually returned as 33.1 anyway. I guess they saw they couldn't win against Meredith (owners of WFSB), CBS (owners of KYW-TV), ION (WPXN-TV is carried on Cable channel 3 in most of the NYC area) and the FCC...

So, yeah. unless you have permission from the FCC, you HAVE to go by what PSIP/virtual channel they assign to you.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:10 pm

I think getting rid of the CBS 62 brand and going by CBS 15 or CBS 3 would be a great idea

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:08 pm

RingtailedFox is correct about CBS pursuing WADL for an affiliation agreement. I believe compensation was only one issue that drove CBS away from 38. I believe (I don't know for certain) I did hear CBS also wanted a commitment to creating a news department from the get-go. That was something Adell just didn't want to do. That combined with the compensation demands led CBS to approach Channel 62 for an affiliation, initially. I believe that if William Paley were alive during this time it would've been likely that CBS would've paid whatever Paramount wanted to obtain WKBD and had a news presence immediately, or possibly buy Channel 62 or Channel 20 and swapped those stations and cash to Paramount. But Larry Tisch was in charge at the time, so $24-million cash to basically buy a license, in his mind, was a better way to go. Tisch was the greatest chairman Fox/News Corporation ever had. The problem was he was CBS Chairman at the time. Tisch was a f*@#ing disaster. Now as to the aforementioned switching WWJ-TV's Channel number from 62 to 44 or 15, it wouldn't be that big of a change or without precedence. KNSD-TV in San Diego was on Channel 39 in its pre-digital days and was still listed as 39 (virtual frequency). But it has been branding itself as "NBC 7" to reflect its cable number. It would take viewers a while to adjust but that would be a short-term adjustment. Not certain whether CBS wants to go through all that after 25 years of establishing CBS 62.

Great Lakes Vet

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 pm

ZenithCKLW wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 am
That's mostly correct. Although, a minor detail is that CBS didn't buy 62 until a few years after CBS obtained their affiliation.

Remember, "Punch 62, CBS!"

Actually, CBS purchased 62 in 1995, just months after the affiliation swap of 1994

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Ok, so like 0.7 years. I am still technically correct.

:blink :lol

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:21 am

CBS closed on the purchase of 62 months later, as correctly pointed out by CircleWXYZ, because Joel Ferguson challenged the sale to keep an important local voice and minority program going and hoped he'd be able to buy it or at least become a partner. But even as the challenge process was playing out the IFAAMM, the founders and owners of 62, retained the license. Day-to-day operations were handed over to CBS, or in other words, 62 was owned by IFAAMM and operated by CBS. When Ferguson's challenge was denied and the FCC approved the sale to CBS, it was then announced that the call letters would change to WWJ-TV.

Great Lakes Vet

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:41 pm

The call letter change made sense, because the WGPR calls supposedly originally stood for "Where God's Presence Radiates." While I don't think 62 was ever marketed as a "Christian" or religious station, their prime time schedule and much of their daytime schedule was filled with programs from various ministries. If I'm not mistaken, they had religious/gospel programming all day long every Sunday until 11:00 PM.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic