Acceptable registrations in the queue through October 17 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
User avatar
Myron Falwell
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm

The Cumulus of today is trying to undo the sins of Lew and John Dickey and find stable footing financially.

The biggest sins were (outside of their purchase of WestwoodOne) their merger with Citadel and the “Nash” concept. John Dickey talked up Nash to the point of annoyance using weasel words like “country lifestyle” and forced the brand on a whole bunch of their stations all at once.

Trading away WNSH is an admission that the Dickeys dreams with “Nash” was an utter failure. Entercom will rebuild that station from the ground up and will succeed.

It’s only a matter of time before they broker out WNBM 103.9 and sell off WABC to a foreign language programmer. They are best leaving New York (and LA, seriously, KLOS and KABC aren’t far behind in the divestment trail IMO) and focusing on mid-major and smaller markets.


I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4380
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Excellent post; I cannot disagree with anything you wrote.

They'll look to complete their exit from D.C. and New York sooner rather than later, and I agree L.A. is likely next.

Will they also deal KRBE in Houston, one of the few heritage CHR stations Jan Jefferies managed not to screw up during his reign of terror? I believe Cumulus owns no other stations in Houston.


Rock 95.5 in Chicago is the worst sounding major market rock station in the history of corporate radio.

borderboy653659200
Posts: 1108
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Myron,are you related to the late Rev. Jerry Falwell,whom I FREAKIN' HATED ?????



armchair pd
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: B.F.E.

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by armchair pd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 pm

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Myron,are you related to the late Rev. Jerry Falwell,whom I FREAKIN' HATED ?????

What?



armchair pd
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: B.F.E.

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by armchair pd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Myron Falwell wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:11 pm
The Cumulus of today is trying to undo the sins of Lew and John Dickey and find stable footing financially.

The biggest sins were (outside of their purchase of WestwoodOne) their merger with Citadel and the “Nash” concept. John Dickey talked up Nash to the point of annoyance using weasel words like “country lifestyle” and forced the brand on a whole bunch of their stations all at once.

Trading away WNSH is an admission that the Dickeys dreams with “Nash” was an utter failure. Entercom will rebuild that station from the ground up and will succeed.

It’s only a matter of time before they broker out WNBM 103.9 and sell off WABC to a foreign language programmer. They are best leaving New York (and LA, seriously, KLOS and KABC aren’t far behind in the divestment trail IMO) and focusing on mid-major and smaller markets.
Excellent points.
Nash was a dog from day 1. It's over.
If (read: when) this gets to Detroit, In the hands of a Beasley, WDRQ can be a player in the format.
WJR and WDVD are healthy brands. Curious to see how it plays out.



User avatar
Myron Falwell
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 pm

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Myron,are you related to the late Rev. Jerry Falwell,whom I FREAKIN' HATED ?????
No relation whatsoever. My pseudonym is meant to mock Jerry, there is a long backstory with that lol.


I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

ftballfan
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by ftballfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:08 pm
Excellent post; I cannot disagree with anything you wrote.

They'll look to complete their exit from D.C. and New York sooner rather than later, and I agree L.A. is likely next.

Will they also deal KRBE in Houston, one of the few heritage CHR stations Jan Jefferies managed not to screw up during his reign of terror? I believe Cumulus owns no other stations in Houston.
KRBE has been a standalone for a few years now. Cumulus used to own two rimshots in Houston, but sold them off in 2011/12 (one of those two went to EMF and is Air 1 now)



User avatar
Myron Falwell
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 am

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:05 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:08 pm
Excellent post; I cannot disagree with anything you wrote.

They'll look to complete their exit from D.C. and New York sooner rather than later, and I agree L.A. is likely next.

Will they also deal KRBE in Houston, one of the few heritage CHR stations Jan Jefferies managed not to screw up during his reign of terror? I believe Cumulus owns no other stations in Houston.
KRBE has been a standalone for a few years now. Cumulus used to own two rimshots in Houston, but sold them off in 2011/12 (one of those two went to EMF and is Air 1 now)
Yep. The other station they had was ESPN Radio affiliate KFNC, a move-in from Beaumont that got unloaded to David Gow (who also owns the former Yahoo Sports Radio, now SBNationRadio).

Houston is as much of a sore spot as NYC and DC now are, a large market with no economy of scale whatsoever. But it may make a purchase of Cox Radio increasingly doable now according to Lance Venta (and note that the Cox Dayton cluster makes an ideal compliment with Cumulus’ existing Cincy cluster).

It’s all about the economy of scale now. That’s why an acquisition of WJR, WDRQ and WDVD by Beasley makes sense. And Cumulus may do the same in Chicago, where they have a reliable classic hits station and a reliable modern rock station (WLS-FM and WKQX), and a dog conservative talker with no ratings (WLS)... and Nexstar has Tribune’s WGN 720 on the block, muddying up those waters even more.


I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic