Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WPLJ - now the home of God.

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
stopnswop2

Re: WPLJ - now the home of God.

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:49 pm

So it's not just Detroit's NASH that sucks.
Interesting..

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 am

Actually, 94.7 in NYC gets good ratings for the signal. It only has effective coverage of maybe two thirds of the market. I'd be willing to bet money Entercom finds a way to move the TX site to Manhattan within the next couple years.

Biggest underachieving Nash station I can find is 94.1 Cincinnati. City grade signal that smothers the entire market. Country is wildly popular there. Yet station usually finishes dead last by a mile among all Class B FM stations there. A pair of classic country rim shooters at 105.9 & 106.7 with studios in rural Kentucky outperform Nash in the ratings there.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:51 am

Couple of notes - There are multiple Country stations in Cincinnati, especially the ACTUAL Classic Country on two signals that cover the market. There is really no place for Nash in the mix.

With the Cumulus deal, you are seeing business people as opposed to radio people buying and selling stations. NYC is a total loser for the Cloud, and they saw a way to get some cash and reduce debt. WABC will go soon. They also now have the dominant cluster in the very vibrant economy of Indianapolis. Entercom can work with the NYC signals to improve the NASH signal (there is some short spacing things there) and have a more viable station, coverage wise. I believe Cumulus will next dump all those Muncie stations, as there is some overlap DMA wise I believe

As for DC that was somewhat surprising as that cluster was making some money. But didn’t the entire get a whole bunch of money scheme for the tower sites fall apart? EMF has the cash and the patience to wait something like that out.

I’m actually kinda suprised that Cumulus did this kind of deal before iHeart. Just proves that a lot of people have underestimated Mary’s desire to turn that stock price around. (Up about .50 from the opening price, at one point was up almost a dollar.) The press release announcing the deal calls these “Strategic Portfolio Optimization Transactions “ I’m sure there is more to come.

One more thing in a quick add/edit - Mary Berner could give a fuck about programming, call letters or station heritage. She gave McVay and company about a year to fix the major markets. The ones that aren’t fixed, revenue wise, DJ’s and programmers better update their resumes.

ANOTHER EDIT - According to press reports, Cumulus has retained the call letters and intellectual property of all stations sold to EMF. Interesting....
Last edited by Deleted User 12047 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 am

Yup; the DC land deal with Toll Brothers has gone nowhere.

Toll Brothers needed rezoning; the municipality said no.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:20 pm

At 2:20pm EST, CMLS at $15.50, up almost 6% today.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Know why Entercom wanted WMAS in Springfield, MA?

Look at the freq on which it broadcasts; mystery solved.

They still have at least one other station with which they need to contend - 94.3 WWSK.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm

LOOKING AT THE RAMIFICATIONS OF THE CUMULUS/ENTERCOM/EMF DEAL PART 1: THE CORPORATE LEVEL

https://radioinsight.com/blogs/174530/l ... ate-level/
Last edited by AMFMTV on Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Entercom has wasted no time in applying for improved facilities for Nash 94.7 in New York.

They have submitted an application to move the TX site to the NE side of Newark near East Rutherford, with improved line-of-site to all NYC Burroughs, Westchester County, far SW Connecticut, and western Long Island. The site looks to be about seven miles closer to midtown than the current site.

WNSH would transmit 40 kW from 166 meters HAAT, omnidirectional.

WMAS - which sits near the CT / MA border south of Springfield, MA - would go directional with a null to the southwest to make the above move possible.

In order for WNSH to be able to make a second move to the ESB or One World Trade Center, either WWSK needs to downgrade or leave the air or WNSH would need to downgrade.

Ironically, the proposed WNSH site near the Newark / East Rutherford border is the existing 710 WOR site! I presume Entercom has already inked a deal with WOR to make this possible. Begs the question - why didn't the jackasses at Cumulus do this?

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am

Which means they'll slobber all over Trump as these reactionary religious nuts are won't to do,despite the P***y-Grabber-In-Chief's sordid behavior towards women .

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 am

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:44 am
Which means they'll slobber all over Trump as these reactionary religious nuts are won't to do,despite the P***y-Grabber-In-Chief's sordid behavior towards women .
K-Love doesn’t make political editorials. And Air1’s recent reboot to worship music brought with it an “all are welcome” marketing campaign.

Salem’s stations, particularly the Christian preaching and conservatalk stations, editorialize heavily in favor of the GOP. They’ve done that for years.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:17 am
Actually, 94.7 in NYC gets good ratings for the signal. It only has effective coverage of maybe two thirds of the market. I'd be willing to bet money Entercom finds a way to move the TX site to Manhattan within the next couple years.

Biggest underachieving Nash station I can find is 94.1 Cincinnati. City grade signal that smothers the entire market. Country is wildly popular there. Yet station usually finishes dead last by a mile among all Class B FM stations there. A pair of classic country rim shooters at 105.9 & 106.7 with studios in rural Kentucky outperform Nash in the ratings there.
WNNF is bad, but a case could be made for WKDF being worse. Lew and John made that station the “Nash” flagship and it gets solidly trounced by BOTH WSIX and “Nash Icon” WSM-FM.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 am

I still wonder if any of us would survive the shock of today's radio climate if we were transported from 1975 to today: once great double-digit ratings monster 50KW AM stations like WABC (WNBC) WLS and even WJR, are but a tiny speck of what they were before the 1996 death knell of mergermania.
I wonder what 50KW clear channel station has the highest cume, ratings, and listeners on a regional basis? WSM perhaps?

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 am

WOHO wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 am
I still wonder if any of us would survive the shock of today's radio climate if we were transported from 1975 to today: once great double-digit ratings monster 50KW AM stations like WABC (WNBC) WLS and even WJR, are but a tiny speck of what they were before the 1996 death knell of mergermania.
I wonder what 50KW clear channel station has the highest cume, ratings, and listeners on a regional basis? WSM perhaps?
Without a doubt, KNBR. They 1) have no FM simulcast of any sort and 2) lost the Warriors PBP rights to Entercom’s all-sports FM and didn’t miss a beat. The strength of the Giants PBP powers them.

WCBS 880 and WBZ 1030 also do well, if not gangbusters. I wouldn’t include WSB as they have a full-power FM simulcast. WLW’s audience is graying but they will pull double-digit shares in PPM during Reds season.

The Grand Ol Opry doesn’t subscribe to Nielsen, and WSM 650 is basically a full-time promotional vehicle for the venue, if not as an outright museum piece.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 pm

EnbyCee,my high school bud took me to see the Bird battle the Royals' Dennis Leonard for my 23rd birthday (which was actually three days earlier ) , July 9,1976. Though Leonard out-duelled Fidrych,1-0,we were amazed that for about 45 minutes after the game,the Tiger Stadium crowd,estimated at close to 50,000,screamed in unison "We want the Bird !" " We want the Bird!" It remains the only time I heard fans demand a curtain call for a LOSING athlete .

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:24 pm

And Munson once called Reggie Jackson a "n****r," so Thurman must have been at least a bit bigoted. Plus the squat,ugly Munson was OH SO JEALOUS of cover boy handsome Carlton Fisk .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic