Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Holy shit.

Mix 107.3 in Washington, which over the past 12 months has become one of the market's better performing stations in Adults 25-54 and forced Entercom's Fresh 94.7 out of the Hot AC format, has just been sold.

To whom, you may ask?

Educational Media Foundation (purveyors of "K-Love").

That's not all! 95.5 WPLJ in New York City - a station that's held those call letters since the 70's - was also sold to EMF, as was long-time underachiever 106.7 WYAY, a news/talk station in Atlanta.

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1745 ... ianapolis/

stopnswop2

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:30 pm

The link is giving an error message

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Re: Cumulus stunner - two heritage Hot AC stations in major markets SOLD (note: WDVD not involved)

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:33 pm

EMF has some deep pockets to pay 103.5 million for six Stations, I bet there will be more Cumulus properties on the table in the future.
Last edited by Deleted User 14888 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:34 pm

How is this about Detroit, by the way ?

This should be only in the neighboring states forum

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:35 pm

I can't help you with that; that's a RadioInsight.com issue.

Here's another article:
https://radioink.com/2019/02/13/cumulus ... ercom-emf/

What I failed to mention is 94.7 Nash FM is being traded to Entercom (along with two stations Cumulus owns in tiny Springfield, MA, although one or both stations might also be easily heard in nearby Hartford, CT) in exchange for three Entercom stations in Indianapolis!

So, in New York, Entercom will now have:
- Alt 92.3
- Nash 94.7 (I'd expect the "Nash" name to go by the wayside)
- WFAN AM & FM
- 880 WCBS
- 1010 WINS
- 101.1 WCBS-FM
- Fresh 102.7

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:36 pm

How is this about Detroit, by the way ?

This should be only in the neighboring states forum
I own the site. I pay for it. I'll post where I damn well please. Thank you very much.

There are Detroit ramifications...potentially. This means Cumulus is clearly open to selling major market properties. Beasley has room to acquire WDVD, WDRQ and WJR and still comply with FCC ownership limits.

Do not be surprised if Beasley makes a play for those stations.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:41 pm

All I was asking is was it about Detroit. I was curious, because I can't open the link.
No need to get rude.

Thank you for answering my question at least

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm

I would love to see Beasley taken on DRQ.
Would be interesting to see what they would do with it!

Music is my life.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

If Beasley were to buy the Cume-less cluster what would they most likely do with 93.1? Keep it country and rebrand it from GNASH to something else? Flip it to sports, classic hits, active rock, other???

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:54 pm

They should and keep it country and try and make it sound better, imo.
It has potential!

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Tater - if Beasley were to purchase 93.1, the smart move would be to keep it Country, rename the station, and invest in a local morning show.

A rechristened 93.1, an already successful 96.3, and Beasley's excellent sales team could do wonders and really make life difficult for Entercom!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm

All I was asking is was it about Detroit. I was curious, because I can't open the link.
No need to get rude.
No, you were telling me where to post on my own site. Ironically, you suggested the Neighboring States forum. I didn't realize Michigan bordered New York, the DMV, or Georgia.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm
No need to get rude.
No, you were telling me where to post on my own site. Ironically, you suggested the Neighboring States forum. I didn't realize Michigan bordered New York, the DMV, or Georgia.
How about everywhere else? I don’t think he was instructing you on anything so much as wondering why... given your explanation I’d say it’s tenuous at best and a pretty big stretch at worst. They sold these stations... that means diddly for us unless we know the exact reason they sold... needed cash? Want out of Hot AC? Purchase coming up and needed to free up some cap room?

You bit the guys head off for no reason... you have a reactionary tendency when you post... I usually ignore it but you laid it on way too thick here me thinks...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:05 pm

I just find it amusing that Stopnswop was so concerned about something so trivial.

"Reactionary tendency" ? Not quite sure what that means. Do I jump to conclusions a little too fast sometimes? Perhaps.

Given the fact Cumulus owns properties in Detroit, there are people who read this site who currently or previously worked for Cumulus, because those folks don't often read all the individual forum pages on the Buzzboard, and because I very much believe this could be a sign Cumulus is open to selling its Detroit stations, I decided to post it here.

I've postulated on more than one occasion how the Cumulus Detroit stations and the Beasley (formerly Greater Media) Detroit stations would make a great marriage.

I don't think Cumulus will use the money to go on a shopping spree. (What a terrible mistake it would be if, for example, if they were to use the sale proceeds to purchase 720 WGN.) This move was made to improve the company's standing in the eyes of its lenders. Many folks think a recession could come by the end of 2020. Cumulus perhaps is making these moves with that thought in mind - i.e. build up cash reserves and/or pay down debt to provide extra latitude with respect to financial ratio covenants.

In closing, I love to discuss broadcasting. That's why the Buzzboard exists. :)

Happy to discuss broadcasting and corporate strategy (and politics) with you, stopnswop, and everyone else. I feel that I shouldn't have to justify where I post my comments on my own message site, though.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

I don't usually like to respond to obvious flaming because in not 12, but I was asking you how it was related to Detroit because I could not open the link.
I made that very clear. You are the only one concerned over trial things and trying to assert your authority for some odd reason.
(It was obvious what you were doing, since the same thread is actually in the neighboring states forum and you were there posting away, so you obviously had no real issue with such a thing.)

So in closing, I was not trying to tell you where to post anything.
I was simply asking a question, ok?
No need to get defensive. I just wanted clarification.

And yes, I love talking with you MW. : )

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic