Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What if WJBK aired Fox Kids

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

What if WJBK aired Fox Kids

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 pm

As we all know, all the former New World stations, including WJBK in Detroit, WJW in Cleveland, and WAGA in Atlanta, all refused to air Fox Kids when the stations switched to Fox in 1994. Instead, all of their stations either expanded their newscasts, or ordered more syndicated program. At the time, it was unprecedented. However, I do believe it lead to more stations cutting back on network daytime programming.

However, what if stations like WJBK aired Fox kids? Would Fox kids have lasted longer? I’ve always wondered what would’ve happened if the New World tv stations aired all of Fox, instead of just sports and network programming.

Just a food for thought.

Deleted User 14888

Re: What if WJBK aired Fox Kids

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:31 pm

It would be better than what they air currently in the mornings, The Nine totally sucks especially with Marielle Lue, But I’m just a crotchety retired old Hippie Radio Dude, What do I know but my Granddaughter who’s 3 loves cartoons so we watch those together in the morning and trust me it’s better than Fox 2 Mornings.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Fox Kids and The Fox Family Channel were bought by Disney in 2001.

Fox Family turned into ABC Family, with the Fox Kids block renamed "Jetix".
It spunoff into its own channel now called "Disney XD".
ABC Family rebranded as "FreeForm" in 2016.

Music is my life.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Funny you guys mention this. I wrote a long story about this exact topic a few years back for the furry fandom news website Flayrah.com: https://www.flayrah.com/5877/after-thes ... ne-forever

Doug Walker ("The Nostalgia Critic"/"That Guy With the Glasses") even made an hour long review of Fox Kids on his Youtube channel, that you can watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9YlDta40c

Short Answer: very little difference in our timeine.

Long Answer: keep reading below!

I LOVED watching saturday morning cartoons when i was just a kid, though I tended to drift over to WXYZ for ABC Kids.

Funny to think that we actually have Disney to thank for both Fox Kids and Kids' WB! For those that don't want to bother with my long article, here's the short of it: FOX wanted to air an animation block on weekdays and weekends on its station KTTV 11 in Los Angeles. They asked Disney if they could air the upcoming Disney Afternoon syndicated block on it. Disney said "lolno, we're sticking that on KCAL 9" (before selling it to CBS a couple years later). Since they were spurned, they decided to launch their own competing block called Fox Kids, and it ruled.... at first.

From the time the cartoon division started in 1989 to about 1994, they aired on WKBD, when it was Fox 50. Logical enough. I remember watching Bobby's World with my sister on that station. That show was hella trippy in all the best ways. Loved their Canadian import, Dog City (Jim Henson Company/Nelvana co-production) too... Eek! The Cat was a fucking riot... hell, I felt like that poor cat most times (always being helpful, yet on the recieving end of whatever the universe is throwing at me at that particular minute) :P

Once FOX threw a big wrench into everything in 1994, the network moved from 50 to 2, and Fox Kids moved from 2 to... 38. Which sucked, because 38 sometimes didn't air it... A lot of markets NEVER got to see Fox Kids, either... Wikipedia has the full list on that (i'll provide it later on if needed).

By early 1995, UPN launched, and in Mid-1995, The WB launched as well. That was BAD news for Fox Kids, since a lot of their strongest programs (Animaniacs, Taz-Mania, a few others too) were made by Warner Bros. and would be moved to Kids' WB (Animaniacs in particular). This spelled the beginning of the end for them, since they were left with lower-quality programs that just couldn't compete with Kids' WB's programming (especially once they got Pokemon). Sure, they had fun shows like Power Rangers, but even that was starting to fade by 1996, and shows like Sam & Max: Freelance Police had no real chance going up against Pinky & The Brain.

I think it would've held on a couple years longer, but ultimately, it evolved into Jetix and Fox Box in 2002, which then became 4Kids TV in 2005, but that would limp along until 2008, when it was absorbed by former arch-rival, Kids WB (at that point, on The CW). As luck would have it, by teaming up with Kids WB, they'd eventually form Toonzai (later re-named Vortexx) and become the last cartoon block standing, lasting until 2014, long after ABC, CBS, and NBC had ended their saturday morning and weekday animation blocks.

In a way, Fox Kids does kinda live on today, since the Jetix block that aired on Fox Family Channel in the United States was bought by Disney. Up here, Jetix aired on The Family Channel (no relation at all), and I remember it was a sort of Fox Kids/Anime hybrid lineup. It wasn't that bad, either. Wish it lasted longer... though, In a way, it's kinda around today in the form of Disney XD (which replaced Toon Disney in the USA... a channel which I LOVED watching when i visited my american cousins!) When i heard that network shut down, I thought "BLASPHEMY!" It was like a 24/7 Disney Afternoon Network with some Fox Kids/Jetix and even some older ABC Kids and DiC stuff thrown in for good measure. I *LOVED* it! But, out with Toon Disney, in with Disney XD... which has some Marvel properties like Spiderman and Guardians of the Galaxy, which would have been right at home on Fox Kids had it remained to this day.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Great info!
Much more detailed then my vague post, lol.

Music is my life.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:40 pm

I always felt it was a big mistake for stations like WJBK and WJW to not air Fox kids. Being on bigger market stations would’ve helped it to last longer. Just my thoughts on it. Power Rangers should’ve aired on WJBK.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Yall've never touched a boob, have you?

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:27 am

Old hippie radio dude ???? You mean you knew WKNR's resident hippie,Jerry Goodwin ?

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Disney Afternoon when Fox added the 3RD hour to the Fox Kids block killed Disney Afternoon in midsize TV markets where most Fox TV stations signed on for Disney Afternoon or they would only air the newer shows from Disney Afternoon morning hours or late afternoon after Fox Kids signed off. Aladdin was aired at 5PM or 5:30PM on Fox17 93 to 95 as I would go to my dad's house my sister would be watching along with my brother as well although I think he was more into Legends Of The Hidden Temple on Nick.

Mighty Ducks & Lion King on the Disney Afternoon was aired in the mornings on Fox17. Kids WB was on WLLA TV 64 channel 5 on Cablevision when WGN Superstation aired The WB from 95 to 99 then The WB signed on with WZPX on a 22-hour delay airing 6PM the next day until The WB's run ended in 06. Kids WB was the block that aired in there normal timeslot.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:56 am

If I recall, WGKI (now WFQX) aired Fox Kids in the morning and Disney Afternoon in the afternoon. I was more of a PBS kid back then, so about the only thing I ever watched on WGKI was "Bobby's World" (funny to watch now and see Howie Mandel with a full head of hair).

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am

Please fill me in on Fox Kids .

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:37 pm

I loved watching Bobby's World in the mornings on Fox Family Channel before school.

I loved how the 3 kids networks were all right next to each other for a while on Bright House.
Nickelodeon kept bouncing around but ended up on 47.
Cartoon Network 48, and Fox Family on 49
(Eventually they all moved to 57, 58, and 59 though.. but it was ABC Family by then and I didn't care for that network nor Freeform. Total garbage)

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Oh btw Ringtail,
Jetix had nothing to do with Fox Family.
After Disney bough the network they created "ABC Family Action Block" which they eventually replaced with Jetix in 2005 I think.

Music is my life.

RingtailedFox

Post by RingtailedFox » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:23 am

mmkay, i've learned something new :D

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic