Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Could a Breeze Format make it in Toledo?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 10525

Could a Breeze Format make it in Toledo?

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:37 pm

Knowing how backwards and lame Toledo is, god knows trying anything new or different, is just the devils workshop :horns .

That said, I say yes. From What I have been hearing on 98.7 The Breeze in Detroit, this format seems almost made for Toledo. The River has The AC format all to itself, what passes as AC these days. 105.5 sort of shifts back and forth every few years between Hot ac, Adult top 40, bright ac, etc...

I think if tried, it would make it.

WOHO

Re: Could a Breeze Format make it in Toledo?

Post by WOHO » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm

It's already been done. This weekend driving around, I was playing with the HD radio, and WRVF has an HD-3; listen, see what you think? I would rather have the 'Sunny' format that WNIC-HD2 has, but better than nothing. Haven't noticed a degradation in audio quality; perhaps they dropped the stereo audio of WSPD on WRVF-HD2 where WSPD audio was stereo there, but not on 92.9FM and the stereo AM on 1370 is switched off on standby.
Did you already know about this Brian, and just baiting the trap to see that only 10 people were willing to waste an extra $50 on their aftermarket radio for the HD feature that only works 15 miles from the transmitter on a good day.

I was an old-school 101.5 listener until ClearChannel/iHeart dropped Jim Brady and then I moved over to WRQN; I must be out of the demographic for the River, as I don't care for it anymore at all, but, this HD-3 would be the closest thing to what they once were headed.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Not many people at all have or use an HD radio.
It would have to be on a main HD1 Station

Music is my life.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I’m just curious as to how many actual HD receivers are in people’s hands today and I mean honest to God numbers, All I ever hear is 10 percent or 15 percent just what the hell is that, When the Broadcast industry says that, They’re not really tell us how many HD Radio’s are out there, What do you guys think.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Nielson ratings for all published HD2 substations never get more than or 0.2 or 0.3 share.

That should tell you how little they are used

Music is my life.

Gary Fullhart

Post by Gary Fullhart » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:19 pm

I wondered when someone would notice. The Breeze went on WRVF-HD3 starting at about 2:30pm on Friday, January 18, 2019.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:23 pm

This is true, I guess the point I’m trying to make is, I personally think that the numbers of HD Capable Radios like Satellite Radio are Perhaps inflated, There’s never a close enough number with Satellite Radio the numbers are based on subscribers at one point or another, But they never say how many people dropped the service and that’s where the confusion comes in and the same with HD Radio how many people even know that they even have it or for that matter use it.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm going try to check out this station here tonight

Music is my life.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:26 am

I don't count HD-2 and HD-3's, yeah I had no idea it existed either.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:55 am

Remember, an HD2 or HD3 signal can be rebroadcast on an FM translator, and I think iHeart has a couple in the market.
(Interesting that there is no "Breeze Toledo" on iHeart Radio however.)

Based on what is being played on Toledo radio today (based on my last visit in November) a Breeze style format on, say 107.7 FM, might do fairly well. (Other than signal problems in Sylvania, it seems to cover the market okay.) Toledo is an older demographic market with no real format focused on 45+ year olds. And as a programmer with experience in the Toledo market (and an expired non-compete), I would enjoy putting that format together. Wonder if I should call Mr. Dudley?

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Why do all the Soft AC stations have to be called "The Breeze" ?
It was a cute name when KISQ flipped to it, but now everyone is copying the name. Seems lazy.

And before that everything was called "Lite FM".
But Mainstream AC stations sabotaged that brand, so that's out of the question now

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 pm

This is a good discussion. Let's not forget that 101.5 The River - even after ACs in other markets began brightening and modernizing their sound - remained quite soft for an unusually long time. In other words - Soft AC has a track record in Toledo. And one does not have to go back nearly as many years to find a track record of success with it in Toledo as some other cities.

On the other hand, the fact so much of the music found on Soft AC has not been heard in critical mass in so many years in cities such as Seattle and San Francisco may help to explain the format's initial resounding success in those places.

All of iFart's full power signals in Toledo - at least on FM - have good ratings. I'm not going to count 103.7 CKY.

Where would Soft AC work best? I hereby nominate 98.3! :)

Nash Icon is complete garbage. Putting the format on 98.3 could be a good way to make 98.3 semi-relevant in the Greater Toledo area once again while still retaining a format that appeals to local businesses in the Monroe area.

Frankly, putting such a format on 105.5 might not even be a terrible idea, but I think there'd be much less risk putting such a format on 98.3 instead.

105.5 should be reformatted into more of a standard Hot AC, IMO. The quasi-CHR sound just hasn't worked that well for them.

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 pm

In a recent suggestion, our fearless leader wrote:Where would Soft AC work best? I hereby nominate 98.3! :)
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. I believe that 98.3 is going to stay committed to being a Monroe focussed station, whatever the format.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:49 am

105.5 seems like a good choice. 105 has always done OK but not great. A more remote choice, to test the waters could be 100.7.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:08 am

Everyone is mentioning Cumulus stations, when iHeart technically owns the Breeze format per sec.
Mark Elliot= hell yes, do something on 107.7fm.
Here's a new way of thinking, especially for Jacor/ClearChannel/iHeart; since WCWA pulls a 0.2 share on a good day, why not put The Breeze on 1230am? yes, thinking outside the box hasn't been done in radio since the ultimate programmer was at XM radio in 2005.
Imagine that, music on the AM band, what a novel idea? Might even pull a whole share after a year, something Fox1230 hasn't done in a long time.
I did find the Breeze on a full fledged HD-1 in Detroit Tuesday night when I was up there, they also had an HD2 and an HD3 but the Breeze was the main channel with paid spots.

Still disappointed with the audio quality of WRVF-HD3; I know, you're taking a very thin slice out of a limited bandwidth, but there was no bass at all on Monday, and ear piercing overblown high-end, like a low grade encoded MP3 at 128 or lower, while a 193bit sounding audio would be better.
Since I'm the only listener in the entire city listening to WSPD in stereo on WRVF-HD2, might as well trash that audio, especially since they have the translator and scoot The Breeze on up. Then again, I would much rather have iHeart's "Sunny" format for us old 45+ old farts that still listen to radio- they should be kissing our butts as we're the only demo that grew up with radio when AM radio news was king over TV news, and of course, there was no internet in 1978.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic