Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
bjmcdevitt

Re: Turn DOWN your thermostat! Really?!

Post by bjmcdevitt » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:36 am

Many areas of the country are asking people to do the same during this cold, not just Detroit.

Please look at my signature.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:49 am

My programmable thermostat is set at 62 overnight. Its 68 briefly in the morning and 68 in the evening when my wife is home. I'm home during the day and it is set at 65.
With a gas furnace, gas stove and gas hot water heater I pay $54 a month on the budget plan to heat about 1400 square feet.
My windows are decent and I have good wall insulation but I could seriously upgrade the attic.

I no longer directly engage trolls

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm

If your house is a decent temp, you don't turn it up!!

Save energy and the life of your heater for when there is an emergency

LL101, I have to say you are wrong for once.
(and no this isn't about taking sides. It's about using logical and critical thinking.)

Music is my life.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:35 pm

If everyone turns their thermostat up because it's their right, I hope they enjoy themselves when the infrastructure can't handle it and breaks down in the worst cold snap of the year. I wish some people on this planet acted more like a team rather than only looking out for themselves and flexing their "power".

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 pm

No, the lawyers aren’t drooling...it’s the accountants.

DTE can charge significantly more per kWh providing power to the grid (that goes to “the market”) than directly to their customers in their primary service area.
So, if we use less, that “saved power” is put on the grid and sold for more. It’s a no lose hedge for DTE.

But, hey, the MPSC is watching over the whole show so we can be assured there’s no hanky-panky going on!👍

My question: When did “heat” become “air conditioning”

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 pm

I have mine at 71 right now and lovin' every minute. :hat
(I had it at 68 earlier today but was getting chilly.)

In fairness, my windows are older than dirt, and I suspect I have little or no wall insulation.

My kitchen is always the coldest room in the house. I'm augmenting the heat in that room with a programmable space heater.

Deleted User 14888

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Mine is at 75 degrees, Not my idea, The Wife gets cold fast maybe due to the fact she weighs only 100 lbs. that could have something to do with it, Myself 70 degrees would be perfect, So this year Consumers Energy is getting some extra money from The Oldies 84 household.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:56 pm

I got the emergency alert on my phone about an hour ago, saying to lower it to 65 degrees

Music is my life.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 am

MLive had a good article about this.

I think the edict had more to do with lowering system overload than the Ray Twp fire.

There are multiple storage reservoirs at the Ray Twp site. Only one was emptied as a result of the fire. Ability to tap the other reservoirs will be restored either today or tomorrow.

So, when the fake news media proclaim 64 percent of Consumers' reserves have been depleted, they are full of shit. Yes, less natural gas is accessible at the moment, but this is only a very temporary condition.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:02 am

Since when are corporations able to send EAS alerts? Five phones in the house here went off last night with an alert. There was no EAS alert on Comcrap cable. Something seems off about this. What's next? "Kroger suggests you stock up on food due to extreme cold weather" type shit?

That said, is there a site on the tendernet where you can view EAS messages which have been sent via terrestrial media?

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 am

The State of Michigan sent the alert at Consumers' request.

I think Consumers doesn't want to have to pay DTE for natural gas. Their systems are interconnected. If Consumers had to pay DTE for emergency supply, Consumers would have to eat that cost.

Would love to know why Consumers' compression station had an incident. Recall a Consumers gas main ruptured and caused a massive explosion in Auburn Hills a couple years ago.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:50 am

The alternative to the utility companies is pretty much the 19th century.
I know can it's popular to bang on them and blame them every time something goes wrong. I also know they are far from perfect. But they also supply their product 24-7-365 and unlike Home Depot who can run out of salt or the diner who runs out if pea soup if the utility can't deliver people can die. So I tend to cut them a little slack because they know what happens when they fail.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 am
The State of Michigan sent the alert at Consumers' request.

I think Consumers doesn't want to have to pay DTE for natural gas. Their systems are interconnected. If Consumers had to pay DTE for emergency supply, Consumers would have to eat that cost.

Would love to know why Consumers' compression station had an incident. Recall a Consumers gas main ruptured and caused a massive explosion in Auburn Hills a couple years ago.
This makes sense. I was wondering why I received the Consumers message, considering that I have DTE. I also did not lower the temp, but I have it set at 68 anyway.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 am

wrote:There was no EAS alert on Comcrap cable.
I got it three times with Spectrum. Once that included the county I live in and twice for other Michigan counties that I don't live in which is common and annoying.

BeerMan

Post by BeerMan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:32 am

They sent it because there was a fire at a Consumers Energy facility. Natural gas production is shut down and they are asking people to reduce use as a rationing measure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic