Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

97.3 Grand Rapids shut down

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
cckadlec

97.3 Grand Rapids shut down

Post by cckadlec » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 am

After a lengthy court battle over... stuff... WJWC-LP has seemingly been forced off the air this morning, according to a post I accidentally ran into five minutes before they shut down.

With WDEE off the air since Friday here, I've been listening to the Grand Rapids LP here in Fremont for these past three days and attempting to record one of their very few and far between IDs or even a simple mention of call letters (their legal ID give the wrong calls and their only other mention of their calls mixed them up as WCWJ instead).

Aside from during some big opening, hearing this 49-watt station at 36 miles - which broadcasts from a height 5 feet lower than my location - was something I assumed unthinkable even if it were a totally open frequency as it suddenly has become. I managed to get recordings of everything I wanted, finally getting their legal ID in the 1am hour.

They went off the air a tad before 7 this morning. Sad for them, but for me, it's like the planets aligned for a few days. Two stations on 97.3 bite the dust in a period of three days. 97.3 is really quiet now though. Meteor scatter from Quebec (with 30+ pings in a few hours even), fade-ups of half a dozen stations as far as Toronto and Des Moines... thank you, radio gods.
Last edited by cckadlec on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 97.3 Grand Rapids shut down

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:47 am

What a bizarre post on Facebook by the station's owner. Everything is completely out of context. No mention as to the nature of the lawsuit that (allegedly) forced the station off the air.
These are the facts as it relates to this case. On our behalf, Paul Allen Billings (Robert LaDews former business associate, and friend ) testified in court Monday under oath why he chose to revive the dormant company. He was not cross examined. If you watch Law & Order lol , you know its probably likely he was compelling and certainly believable.
WTF does that paragraph even mean???

From what I can gather from the entirety of that cryptic FB post, it sounds like there was some sort of dispute regarding an alleged fraudulent act by someone affiliated with 97.3. I don't know why on earth that would force the station off the air, unless one of the Plaintiffs is either the owner of the TX site being utilized by 97.3 or the owner of the office space being utilized by 97.3 as a studio.

If anyone has clear information on this matter, feel free to share. Thanks.

The fact 94.9 and 97.3 dumped African American-centric formats just weeks apart strikes me as odd. My guess is 97.3 was bleeding cash and has inside info that Cumulus is about to flip one of its local 50,000 watt stations to Urban.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:47 am
The fact 94.9 and 97.3 dumped African American-centric formats just weeks apart strikes me as odd. My guess is 97.3 was bleeding cash and has inside info that Cumulus is about to flip one of its local 50,000 watt stations to Urban.
I wouldn't say that 97.3 dumped their format. They were proudly African-American right up til the end.

They just dumped the entire station and everyone in it. Dumped the format by default. I think just some bad luck for both stations and good luck for 104.9. If Paul Allen Billings had a bigger role in 97.3, no doubt it would have been hugely successful like 103.7 and 106.1 in Muskegon. But I think whatever happened was just beyond their control as far as businesses go. Someone just made a wrong business move, legally, and the station got caught in the middle.

A corporate urban station in Grand Rapids is so laughable!

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

TC doesn't Talk

Post by TC doesn't Talk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

:lol

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 pm

The added mention of "Would you believe the plaintiff even sued me (unsuccessfully) for all of my assets including equipment I paid for to run the station?" to the edited Facebook posts seems to shine some (still-dim) light on the situation.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Don't know what's going on with this station, but they are back on the air today.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:50 pm

It's a big day for that frequency in the region, as WDEE in Big Rapids/Reed City also returned to the airwaves. A transmitter relocation was the reported cause of 12 days of darkness from that signal.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 pm

WDEE was off for 12 days?! I seriously didn't notice that for 9 of those days? Wow, and I call myself a DXer. Of course, I did clean up the dial in the last three days of them being off the air and I don't usually pay great attention to strong local frequencies, knowing nothing will come from them. I noticed them go back on the air last night in the late afternoon or early evening hours, but their signal is less than half the strength. It's still hard to null out, but signal readings are still low.

What do you mean that they had a transmitter relocation? I don't see any changes in the FCC records, unless there is an STA that is pending, which feels likely given the off-air period and now the weaker signal.

Interesting that GR is back on the air already. Of course, because of WDEE, I can't hear them anymore.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 am

I punched up and received the WDEE signal this morning at the 131 Sand Lake exit, while on my way to Big Rapids. They were previously able to hold off 97.3 in Grand Rapids till I reached the Cedar Rock area in my southbound travels. We'll see what the drive home brings in terms of reception.

I have no direct knowledge of why there was a period earlier this month where the signal went dark, the transmitter relocation talk came my way from someone who has regular dealings with the station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 pm

So, is 97.3 Grand Rapids still on the air, or did it go silent again?

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:47 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 pm
So, is 97.3 Grand Rapids still on the air, or did it go silent again?
As of being in town early Saturday morning, it was on the air as usual. I can't hear it from up here in Fremont anymore due to WDEE certainly being on the air, but I have no reason to believe they've managed to go off the air again, so I assume they're on.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 pm

97.3 is on the air

jm

Post by jm » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm

A minor point, Trophyhead, but WDEE was only off 9 days. From Sunday afternoon 1/6 to early evening 1/15. Several days of that was due to weather, when the tower climbers couldn't work.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 am

Point taken on the actual WDEE "down time."

I will leave it to you to define whether the adjustments have been completed, or if the signal contour has been changed. I am finding a less friendly arrival of their sound as I commute in from Comstock Park/Belmont. The grainy sound used to make it to Cedar Rock, it's more like Sand Lake at the moment.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:35 pm

As for WDEE, I noticed up in Newaygo over the weekend that their signal wasn't nearly as good as it normally is. It's usually the dominant signal on 97.3, but it was full of holes when I listened this past weekend.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic