Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
audiophile

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 pm
They haven't changed the call letters yet. That's why.
FCC is closed.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:48 pm
But on 94.5 - all they need to do is ID "WTNR Holland / Grand Rapids." There is no reason at all to mention WBBL.
I don't think anyone there knows how legal IDs work.

Didn't someone here point out that they weren't even IDing properly when they switched the formats earlier this month? Or maybe they don't care because the FCC is closed. 😂

In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:07 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm
Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:39 pm
They haven't changed the call letters yet. That's why.
FCC is closed.
Because of the MLK 3 Day Weekend, or is it Shut Down?

Tach it up! Tach it up! Buddy, gonna shut you down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pYU0p6WZhU

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Michigan Media

Post by Michigan Media » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:33 pm

I should have clarified. The current station ID on 94.5 is "WTNR Holland and WBBL Greeneville/Grand Rapids." Why include WBBL in the ID if 94.5 and 107.3 are no longer simulcasting? I would give them a pass if it was a generic ID that they forgot to replace after the format change, but they actually had the new voiceover guy record it for the launch of the new format!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:44 pm

The Q does have more of an upscale / artsy "Vibe" (pun intended) than Radio X 9-6-1 did.

That is a GOOD thing, in my opinion.

I have a feeling this new station will do a much better job of developing an identity for itself. Will it translate to decent ratings? Who knows.

JeremyAndrews

Post by JeremyAndrews » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:28 pm

[quote="Michigan Media" post_id=558461 time=1547926410 user_id=7501]
I should have clarified. The current station ID on 94.5 is "WTNR Holland and WBBL Greeneville/Grand Rapids." Why include WBBL in the ID if 94.5 and 107.3 are no longer simulcasting? I would give them a pass if it was a generic ID that they forgot to replace after the format change, but they actually had the new voiceover guy record it for the launch of the new format!
[/quote]

Maybe this was put together before they decided to go ahead with Thunder. They're using the old WBBL internet stream which leads me to believe it's originating from that studio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:36 pm

They've had this in the works since at least December 19. Cumulus is short staffed and it shows with all the faux pas that have occurred with this switcheroo.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 pm

I like this choice of format - it appeals to a group of people who most likely feel that radio has nothing for them. That being said, and knowing what we know now - why wouldn't Cumulus spend the past two weeks telling listeners to "make the switch" to 107.3? Why not hammer away to change the presets, switch the radio over to 107.3 right now. Why put up this charade that Thunder was going to be on 94.5 and 107.3? Sure, everyone on here knew what was going on, but Average Joe listener doesn't. So now they tune in 94.5, which just changed to Thunder 2 weeks ago, and it's gone. They had the perfect opportunity to get people tuned where they need to be, and at the same time build buzz over an impending format flip. I'm completely underwhelmed at how Cumulus handled these flips.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Wonder if the call signs WKLQ will return to 94.5

This is certainly an interesting format, I think It will have better ratings than WBBL has but in WTRV's ballpark being around mid 2's on its best day given that soft AC is sort of a niche format also.
At least cumulus didn't do something stupid and put a full blown alternative like 101 WKQX in Chicago on 94.5, that would've been no better than WBBL's ratings.

I put it in my presets.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:00 pm

THE VALLEY CITY HAS A BRAND NEW Q.

There's nothing new under the sun, so why not?

WTNR====>WKLQ
WBBL====>WTNR
WJRW====>WBBL w/106.1 W291DJ
WKLQ====>WJRW

Didn't you get the memo?

The worst kept secret in West Michigan Radio. In like forever.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Looks like a slight change in TL for W291DJ. Filed 1-17-19. Coordinates shown as the same. Possible update error due to partial government shutdown.

https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=200865

-Author Unknown

tc

Post by tc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:56 pm

I I had no idea Gladys Knight fit into the AAA format.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 am

So, I decided to stream The Q while running some errands the other day. I like it. So far, it sounds like a jock less version of “Ann Arbor’s 107.1”. AAA does seem too niche to make too much of ratings sense, perhaps Alternative would have been more mass appeal, but I think this station plays enough familiar material to give it a fighting chance. My one complaint is that they need a Recently Played area on their webpage. There’s a lot of unfamiliar material with this format, and I listen to AAA/Alt on a regular basis.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 am

Yup. The web site - both desktop and mobile versions - is total garbage right now.

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 am

I think the stream is pretty much a rebadged copy of the WBBL stream (you get the new 94.5 for instance if you ask Alexa to play WBBL) which probably didn't support music identification and playlisting. I suspect down the line, they will adjust the parameters. This whole execution feels a bit rushed, making me feel pretty sure they were trying to counter some 'threat'. And, starting with AAA makes some sense... there is room to evolve to Alternative or even Active Rock-leaning Alt (ala KPNT/St Louis), should they run into any headwinds... but I think this format should be good for a 2.5 or 3 share as is... there's already getting to be some buzz around it.

Also, as of yesterday evening, they are properly identifying the station at TOH... ("this is WTNR Holland/Grand Rapids") without any mention of the wrong facilities... took them a few days to realize that gaffe.
Chrocket87 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:33 am
So, I decided to stream The Q while running some errands the other day. I like it. So far, it sounds like a jock less version of “Ann Arbor’s 107.1”. AAA does seem too niche to make too much of ratings sense, perhaps Alternative would have been more mass appeal, but I think this station plays enough familiar material to give it a fighting chance. My one complaint is that they need a Recently Played area on their webpage. There’s a lot of unfamiliar material with this format, and I listen to AAA/Alt on a regular basis.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic