Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Songs Banned By WABC And WLS

A place where record store snobs and casual listeners can unite as one! Discuss latest releases, all-time favorites, and deep cuts.
CK-722

Songs Banned By WABC And WLS

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:15 am

Rick Sklar banned this song from WABC, because he thought that some in New York City and elsewhere would be offended by the religious references. But it was allowed to be played on WLS and reached #4 on their chart. It cost the song charting much higher Hot 100, where it reached #26.

Ariel by Dean Friedman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONXQbbJJLuM

The first lines of this next song were:

I used to live in New York City,
Everything there was dark and dirty.

It was HB, some arm twisting was done by the Political Industrial Complex, and it was gone the next week. Hit #20 Hot 100. Would have been much bigger with WABC airplay.

Twelve Thirty by The Mamas and the Papas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xa7NWRJjPQ

Apparently, the lyrics of this next song were thought to cast Chicago in a bad light. It didn't chart at all on WLS. It hit #19 on WCFL. It was #1 in Michigan on WTAC, WTRX, and WPAG, and #2 on WBEE in Harvey, IL. It hit #29 Hot 100.

Dead End Street by Lou Rawls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TizmzGjerog

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 14888

Re: Songs Banned By WABC And WLS

Post by Deleted User 14888 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 am

Censorship sucks, Personally I Hear Nothing wrong with all 3 songs, especially with what you hear on radio today with that Rap crap, Great info and by the way The Mamas and Papas tune, I played that at KKNX 840 in Eugene, Oregon back in ‘97.

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm

While censorship does suck, not playing a record is a business decision, not censorship. Censorship is when the government tells you that a record can't be played. The government tried that with Louie, Louie. Didn't work. Back to the topic. WLS didn't play several songs during their top 40 run that they didn't think were appropriate. 2 that come to mind Rhapsody in the Rain by Lou Christie and Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Here's a couple more.

"Little Becky's Christmas Wish"-Becky Lamb was considered bad for military morale and was not played by some stations. Possibly WLS, although there was some verbal reference by Ron Riley? to the song on the air. Maybe dayparted so adults weren't listening and complaining? I remember hearing it on WCFL, though it didn't chart on the regular Chart. Big on WLAV though, #3, and WGRD, #2, as well as the SE MI stations, including WTRX #3, which is obvious. Not sure if other competing Flint stations didn't play it because Bill Lamb was on WKMF with the Factory Whistle Show.

"Rapture"-Blondie was not played on WLS because of an ambiguous two word sequence, which if you listened closely, could be heard either way.

It's not often where you can read about Becky Lamb and Blondie being censored in the same post. Jeff Lamb would probably appreciate the irony.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic