Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WBBL gone

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

Re: WBBL gone

Post by Trophyhead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 am

To me, "the sticks" apply to Big Rapids and other environs 40-55 miles of GR that were served by 107.3's signal.

Like today, when I am on my way to Ravenna and then, on to Big Rapids, I guess 590 is going to have to do as a resource for MSU-OSU listening. 1340 doesn't get me much past Cedar Springs, I bet.

I will leave the programming results of these flips for larger minds to ponder.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 pm

I'll be damned. MSU lost their radio affiliates in the Holland & Muskegon areas (92.1 WGHN is evidently the only option now) and evidently don't have an affiliate in Big Rapids, either.

Back in the day, 1260 in Holland used to carry Spartan athletics, and I want to say 97.5 in the Muskegon area did so, too. Would love to know when & why both stations stopped carrying the Spartans.

There are a zillion radio stations in the immediate Big Rapids area now; I can only assume the reason none of the 'em carry MSU athletics is because WBBL (on 107.3) always delivered a decent signal to the area.

The MSU Network affiliate count seemed higher several years ago than now. Maybe some station owners have seen the light and have switched to U-M athletics instead! :razz

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Of note, the domain "thunder1073.com" was registered anonymously on 12-19-18. This move was evidently in the works for a while.

How convenient that Large announced his new statewide syndication deal on exactly the same day WBBL was blown up. My guess is he knew the day of reckoning was coming many days in advance. There clearly was some coordination between Cumulus and Michigan Media Networks.

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=thunder1073.com

The fact the registrar is Enom is a dead giveaway that Cumulus registered the domain. They use Enom for just about everything of theirs:
https://who.is/nameserver/dns5.cumulusmedia.com

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm

I don't know much about the GR market, but.. I am hoping(not holding my breath) that the cloud blows up 106.5 The ticket in Toledo.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Same company owns both. Same formatted station, just in a different place. Just wanted to point it out, if The cloud plans on phasing there sports stations out or at least under performing ones. I already posted a topic about it, in the ohio section but I couldn't resist mentioning. I'll save the rest for there.

A friend of mine went to school around GR, I think Zeeland if I remember right. I have not seen him in years, I just remember him talking a lot about WKLQ, how much better they were then The Buzz or 89x. How things change.. Maybe someone here can fill me in on 94.5 and 107.3's coverage area. Does The Simulcast make sense or is it pointless? What format is missing in the GR market overall?

blakeharms

Post by blakeharms » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 am

The idea of 105.3 Hot-FM switching to 94.5 is an interesting, yet very believable one. I'm surprised they haven't rebranded yet - their attempt at recovering from less than perfect ratings by firing Gravy did nothing to help them out. SNX has become the station of choice by far. It'll be interesting to see if Hot-FM has something in store as well.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:58 am

Trophyhead wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 am
To me, "the sticks" apply to Big Rapids and other environs 40-55 miles of GR that were served by 107.3's signal.

Like today, when I am on my way to Ravenna and then, on to Big Rapids, I guess 590 is going to have to do as a resource for MSU-OSU listening. 1340 doesn't get me much past Cedar Springs, I bet.

I will leave the programming results of these flips for larger minds to ponder.
For a long time, into the 1960s I think, WKZO was required to use its directional antenna until 10 AM in the morning to protect the ground wave of WOW Omaha during critical hours. It was good for the morning drive signal in the area around Grand Rapids. With WTCM 580 now 50000 watts, they no longer have that option. It would serve that area better.

When I was a kid, we used to go to a park in Cedar Springs with my grandfather for picnics when we visited. We had the transistor radio with us, a good one for that time. You could barely hear WLAV 1340 on it in the park. Since we got the Magnavox portable in 1960, it was after that and probably already 1000 watts when we heard it, so it wasn't 250 watts. It was 11-16-60 when the CP was issued and 7-20-61 when the License to Cover was issued. I remember that WKZO 590 came in well at Night in Grand Rapids, near Creston HS.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:51 am

I just remember him talking a lot about WKLQ, how much better they were then The Buzz or 89x. How things change.. Maybe someone here can fill me in on 94.5 and 107.3's coverage area. Does The Simulcast make sense or is it pointless? What format is missing in the GR market overall?
For anything other than a short-term transition, such a simulcast would be pointless.

Downtown Grand Rapids is 16 or 17 miles from each station's tower site, both are full-fledged 50 kW facilities, and both stations deliver excellent signals to Grand Rapids proper and all adjoining suburbs.

The only place where 94.5's signal always encounters some trouble is near a busy shopping district along Alpine Ave, near & north of I-96, because of intermod issues that are induced by 95.7 WLHT. Some radios are unfazed by the intermod; others get overwhelmed.

Ironically, with 97 WLAV being at greatly reduced power, the intermod afflicting 94.5 MHz might not be as bad as normal! (95.7 x 2 - 96.9 = 94.5.)

On occasion, 94.5's signal incurs interference from 94.5 WCEN, mostly in the far northern & eastern sections of Kent County. Not enough people live in these areas to make that a consequential issue. The only place where the interference is bad all the time is near tiny Sand Lake plus the rural townships that butt up to the Montcalm County line.

107.3 has a better signal than 94.5 across northern & eastern Kent County. 94.5 has a much better signal than 107.3 along the lakeshore. (107.3 is still easily listenable in the Holland area in the car and all but the low-lying areas, tucked behind the sand dunes, near the immediate beach in Grand Haven.)

Across the zip codes representing 75%+ of the market's population, both stations have good reception. A long-term simulcast would a complete waste.

Right now, WLAV's field strength is much weaker in Ottawa County than that of WBBL. Until 96.9 FM finds a new long-term tower site where it is able to deploy a full 50 kW signal, a 94.5 FM / 96.9 FM simulcast would actually make some sense. That's why I think the most likely outcome following Thunder's departure from 94.5 FM is a simulcast between 96.9 & 94.5.

Second most likely possibility - simulcast between 105.3 & 94.5 to migrate Hot's audience to 94.5 MHz so that 105.3 MHz can ultimately be opened up for a 96.9 simulcast.

If either of those two options come to fruition, Cumulus won't have to pay an antenna manufacturer to design an expensive directional antenna for use from the GVSU STA site, and they won't have to worry about paying GVSU to rent tower space.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:06 am

it doesn't really have to be that expensive to make an FM DA.

I really have to get my old hardware and software up and running again...

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:20 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:48 pm
How convenient that Large announced his new statewide syndication deal on exactly the same day WBBL was blown up. My guess is he knew the day of reckoning was coming many days in advance. There clearly was some coordination between Cumulus and Michigan Media Networks.
More than likely Cumulus sold his contract so they wouldn't have any residual obligations. I'm confident that cumulus would not put themselves in a position were they would be stuck paying him. That seems like a pretty equitable exit arrangement.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 am

Good analysis, TC Talks. You've probably hit the nail right on the head. Sounds like a win-win for all parties involved.

Large keeps his network alive, and if anything, becomes more marketable now that his show can be bundled with Matt Shepard's. Shepard will gain some new affiliates. Cumulus no longer has to worry about paying big money to the host of the flagship show of a station that's been ailing for some time. On top of that, they dump Zane, who likely was being overpaid relative to the meager ratings he was generating.

Didn't BBL's top sales rep exit to take a job at iFart a year or two ago? I'm sure that didn't help the situation.

I must say that I'm a little surprised Zane wasn't offered a position at LAV. Longtime Buzzboard readers know that I viewed him as the natural successor to Tony Gates. Tony must not be ready to retire anytime soon.

Personally, I'd love to hear Eric reunite with Free Beer & Hot Wings down the road. Eric seems to be taking the news much better this time. Perhaps he sensed he was on borrowed time based on BBL's ratings. I also think Eric would sound great on WOOD 1300.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 am

Zane was little more than the Chick McGee of fbhw. He just doesn't have legs to carry his own show.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am

I think with a capable cohost he would sound really good.

I only tuned into his 107.3 show on two occasions. The show had too serious of a demeanor for my liking. I was hoping for something more irreverent.

larrybud

Post by larrybud » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 am
Zane was little more than the Chick McGee of fbhw. He just doesn't have legs to carry his own show.
Hmm. If that's the case, then Hot Wings must be the Kristi Lee of the show. He is the biggest coattail rider around.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Zane is an ultimate sidekick, he is in his prime when he riffs off a straight man. That whole enterprise fell apart when he was fired.

I hate Bob and Tom, but they were smart enough to find a formula and then milk it for 30 years.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic