Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WBBL gone

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Schyster

WBBL gone

Post by Schyster » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Eric Zane just went live on Facebook to say that the entire WBBL staff has been blown out. Looks like big changes are imminent.

tannersboat

Re: WBBL gone

Post by tannersboat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Via @HugeShow on Twitter 🤔

The Hugeshow and the H*** Network isn’t going anywhere. I’m on vacation right now and back on air Monday at 3pm. I’ll give you the complete story today at 4pm.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:04 pm

https://fox17online.com/2019/01/04/shak ... ter-today/

My guess is they dump H*** on 1340.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Is WODJ coming back?!?🤣

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm

It's quite likely going to be a music station again.
I'm guessing it's going to be in order of likelihood:

1. A temporary extra transmitter for WLAV to get coverage to the east while they make ready the temporary antenna to the west (GVSU)
2. Alternative (a trendy format, hopefully they would do it better than CC)
3. Soft AC (another trendy format, although The River has it fairly tied up here)
4. The return of WODJ by way of a 'true Oldies' type format, 50s to 70s.

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:23 pm

"1. A temporary extra transmitter for WLAV to get coverage to the east while they make ready the temporary antenna to the west (GVSU)
2. Alternative (a trendy format, hopefully they would do it better than CC)
3. Soft AC (another trendy format, although The River has it fairly tied up here)
4. The return of WODJ by way of a 'true Oldies' type format, 50s to 70s."

It wont be 4. No one, not even them, would put a 45-dead format on that strong of a signal.
Could be #1...maybe even move LAV (Their strongest brand) to their strongest signal...
THEN put Alt/"96-9 The Breeze" on...
OR
Throwback urban/Rhythmic...GR is about 2 years behind the times...it's fizzled out everywhere else, and now that Magic is actually making a little headway, GR and its almost 10% African American population could get an actual station. OR a regional Mexican format. OR JACK FM...Never been done in GR either.

You like corn?

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm

It wont be 4. No one, not even them, would put a 45-dead format on that strong of a signal.
I didn't know Craig Russell was part of the David Gleason School of Thought.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:01 pm

I thought about urban, but I'm still not sure if there'd be enough traction for that sort of format.
I didn't think of Jack, that might work and would only slightly cannibalize WLAV, less so if it were more pop-leaning.

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Press release, hot off the presses (well, virtually):

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (1-4-2019)

Popular H*** Show Joins Matt Shepard in Powerful Michigan Media Network Radio Lineup

GRAND RAPIDS – The Michigan Media Network has reached an agreement in principle with Cumulus Radio Grand Rapids to take over the popular H*** Show.

Under the agreement, the H*** Show and its network would merge into the Michigan Media Network, which also features the popular Shep, Shower ‘N’ Shave show of Matt Shepard in the 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. morning drive slot across the state.

THE TICKET West Michigan’s Sports Radio Network will be heard on four over-the-air frequencies; 106.1FM soon and 1340AM in Grand Rapids and 1490AM and a new FM dial spot yet to be determined in Muskegon. The H*** Show will start anew Monday on 1340AM in Grand Rapids and 1490AM in Muskegon.

“Sports Marketing in America has always been a top priority ‘buy’ for America's most popular advertisers,” Cumulus Radio Grand Rapids Vice-President/General Manager Bruce Law said. “Sports Fans pay close attention to what’s being presented on sports talk radio. We are excited to add a new morning show with Michigan centric content hosted by Matt Shepard; ‘Shep, Shower ‘N’ Shave’ in mornings and continue the popular H*** Show from 3 p.m to 6 p.m, plus offer two most popular national shows, Dan Patrick and Jim Rome.”

Marty Booher of the Michigan Media Network said when things are finalized in the coming days sports talk radio content will be enhanced and improved in Grand Rapids and Muskegon.

“The H*** Show and Matt Shepard’s Shep, Shower ‘N’ Shave, two popular shows with the best of Michigan sports content, will be heard on four Cumulus stations in Grand Rapids and Muskegon on AM and FM, as well as the current stations where those shows are part of the format,” he said.

Booher, who has worked in Michigan radio and built networks for several years, was originally involved in building the network of stations for the H*** Show.

“It’s great to get a chance to work with Bill again,” he said. “Plus, the West Michigan markets now get Shep in the morning, and they are going to love him. The opportunity for West Michigan Sports fans to actually listen and engage in Sports in the mornings again will be well received in West Michigan.”

Shepard, whose show is also presented via the Michigan Media Network to a statewide Comcast audience of 1.1 million households via CN900, is a two-time Emmy winner and two-time MSBA Michigan Sportscaster of the Year. He re-launched his unique 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. radio show last November on WDFN (1130 AM) in Detroit and expanded in the Michigan Media Network.

It can be heard live or on tape delay in more than a dozen markets across the state including Detroit, Kalamazoo, Midland, Saginaw, Bay City, Grayling, Gaylord, Traverse City, Ludington, Manistee, Cadillac and Mt. Pleasant. Flint and Ann Arbor markets are anticipated to come on board soon.

The award-winning H*** Show is also state-wide with stations in Alma/Mt. Pleasant, Ann Arbor, Benton Harbor/St. Joseph, Cadillac, Flint, Holland, Houghton/Hancock, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Midland and Petoskey.

Shepard, or simply Shep as he is known to his audience, broadcasts his show from inside the OnStar Studios in the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. It is a state-of-the-art digital audio recording and editing facility and the perfect location for coach and athlete access – just a few long Matt Stafford bombs or Miggy homers away from where Michigan’s pros play.

Shep enjoys being the busiest voice in Michigan and having his hand on the pulse of the action. He has worked in the state for 24 years, including being the play-by-play voice of University of Michigan basketball for 16 years and Eastern Michigan University football for 19 seasons.

Fox Sports Detroit has called on him in coverage of the Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, CCHA hockey and the Michigan High School Athletic Association’s state football championships. FOX has featured him on NFL Europe and Arena Football. The Big Ten Network has included him for college hockey, football and baseball, and his resume includes extensive reporter work on features and game-day coverage for FSD’s Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings programming.

“I’ve built my career on relationships with the sports fans as well as the coaches, players, writers, broadcasters, personalities and people who make Michigan sports what it is,” Shep said. “Join us each morning on the radio or on CN900. Let’s talk sports.”

(name removed by request), or H***, is a West Michigan native who worked in markets across the country, including Chicago, before coming back to his home state to build a popular show that features Michigan content, commentary and interviews with the top sports figures in the state.

MEDIA CONTACT: Marty Booher of the Michigan Media Network by email marty.booher@gmail.com

NOTE: You have received this email from the Michigan Media Network through Greg Johnson Media. If you wish to be removed from the mailing list just reply with the word remove.

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:09 pm

So, some takeaways:

a translator (as approved at https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... id=1762298 ) will be coming on the air at 106.1
the show will be back on 1340 AM
I don't see any FM translators approved in the Muskegon area as of yet, but maybe that's coming.
1490 AM will also be a sports broadcast
Last edited by Deleted User 12201 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:16 pm

You get nowhere reading FOX 17's web article about this chance, with a sentence that links 106.1 FM with the WJRW signal and indicates both are in Grand Rapids. (I see by a post down the thread that a translator is coming in on that frequency)

I hear Sean Baligian (I believe) on The H*** Show and I will turn it off now, to avoid making my stomach sick.

I want to know where I will find Michigan State broadcasts out in the sticks if 107.3 becomes a music station. I believe I already know the answer.

Figured I would add this in, too, regarding Craig's comment that Jack FM has never been done in GR. From the absolutely bullet-proof Wikipedia, to support my witness...On October 18, 2005, (WVTI 96.1 FM) flipped to a Jack FM clone called "MAX-FM". It gained the call sign of WMAX from another Clear Channel operation in Chattanooga, Tennessee on November 16, 2005. The station initially was programmed with over 1500 unique songs drawing from various pop music genres. As time went by, the list was honed down to less than 600 songs and the music was more focused on the 1980-early 2000s time period. After a rather respectable ratings showing, the ratings heavily slid by early 2007.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:45 pm

So the pocked face ass was let go and he landed elsewhere.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:50 pm

The RDS on 107.3 just now temporarily displayed Thunder Country 94.5 & 107.3.....back now to the typical WBBL message.

Deleted User 12201

Post by Deleted User 12201 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Hm, wasn't seeing that one coming... unless 94.5 is ultimately going to be used for something else down the line and this is transitory.
Schyster wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:50 pm
The RDS on 107.3 just now temporarily displayed Thunder Country 94.5 & 107.3.....back now to the typical WBBL message.

Michigan Media

Post by Michigan Media » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:12 pm

It’s just after 5pm and the sports format is still in place on 107.3. However, I noticed that 107.3 is now broadcasting in stereo. The "stereo" indicator on my radio was not illuminated for 107.3 earlier this afternoon.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic