Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Years Countdown Programs Sucked Balls

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Deleted User 4520

New Years Countdown Programs Sucked Balls

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:04 am

Holy crap! Flipping through the channels checking out the New Years Countdown programs and they just plain sucked! Terrible hosts & banter, terrible entertainment...wow, what a total crap shoot.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: New Years Countdown Programs Sucked Balls

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:42 am

All of 'em are awful. 100% agree!!! Basically, it's a video version of terrible morning radio for three or four straight hours.

Also, the stupid ball drop is STALE AS HELL. Can't the U.S. come up with something more eye-catching & breathtaking to usher in the New Year?

The festivities in Paris, London, Tokyo, Sydney and other places make ours look pitiful.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 am

Agreed! A nice fireworks display seems more "festive" than a big dingle berry dropping every year. Very stale indeed.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:42 am

Also, the stupid ball drop is STALE AS HELL. Can't the U.S. come up with something more eye-catching & breathtaking to usher in the New Year?

The festivities in Paris, London, Tokyo, Sydney and other places make ours look pitiful.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:39 am

I think the mall in Washington, D.C. would be a far better place to usher in the New Year. It's our nation's capital, after all. Large crowds could be accommodated much more easily, and that location would be amendable to a phenomenal fireworks display.

Like New York, it's in the eastern time zone, and the weather in Washington is generally a bit milder this time of year than in New York.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 am

Definitely a lot of pros for doing it in DC. I never understood why they don't do this in different cities each year in the eastern time zone. NYC is just too congested. These sorts of things always seem to be based in NYC.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:42 pm

It was pointed out to me that those programs would have been great had I drank more, then it wouldn't have mattered!

WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:25 pm

I firmly believe that the NYC exclusivity is a holdover from the early days of TV when the big four television networks originated their programming from there. It's their way of jabbing Hollywood and reminding the rest of us that they were once the nation's entertainment capital for radio and TV.

keep in mind that NYC's DuMont flagship WABD eventually became Fox flagship WNYW.

As with the Lions playing every Thanksgiving, the rest of the nation just rolls their eyes and suffers through it, knowing that it'll never change.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Bit of trivia, the ball drop was initially conceived by the owner of the NYT in 1907. I think the main reason why it's still the biggest New Year's celebration in the US is because it's the oldest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square_Ball

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:56 pm

I had ABC on, but muted, while I listened to my playlist. It was fun!

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic