Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MiniDiscs anyone?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
WOHO

MiniDiscs anyone?

Post by WOHO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:10 am

Yes, I'm one of the fanboys for 'older technology' that was unique, works quite well, (still probably working too), but never caught-on big in the USA like it did in Japan and in other countries; this includes my affection for the MiniDisc format and for CQUAM AM Stereo.
Regarding MiniDiscs: any fans here on the Board?
I have a Sony MDM 4-track recorder/mixer; makes a great board for audio, but the MD transport is F-ed up with the TOC read and write, meaning it is likely on it's deathbed.
Two questions, anybody happen to have a MD transport that they'd like to sell or swap?
Anybody know of a good resource for MiniDiscs?
Thanks.

SolarMax

Re: MiniDiscs anyone?

Post by SolarMax » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:40 am

TOC errors were the bane of MD users. I believe once the TOC (Table of Contents-the index of the disc's files)got corrupted, there was no recovery. Kind of like Iomega's "Click of Death." Some gear, notably Sharp players, were notorious for killing discs. I know where one is, but it’s owner for sure would not let it go.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm

I had a mini disc player back in the 90’s and bought the pre-recorded product as well, only one drawback it was only Sony Artists because Sony had some type of copyright deal on pre-recorded material.The other dead technology I perused back in the day was Sony Batamax that was in the 70’s and honestly was better than VHS and AM Stereo I had two AM Stereo receivers and a DAT Tape recorder and last but not least a Quadraphonic rack system that I still use today complete with 50 plus Quad LP’s and the new LP’s they sell today sound superb on this system.If your an audiofile you should see if you can find any Quadraphonic equipment if it’s even around anymore.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Wasn't the original W4 Detroit one of the few to ever broadcast in Quad? Quad vinyl is sweet. Have a Percy Faith Quad LP that even in stereo has a wonderful "sound stage", especially with headphones on.

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:09 am

Oddly enough, Mini-Disc was the primary audio format used at WDVD up until 2000. They had the Denon machines. And yes, TOC errors would kill the disc. However, when it DID work, MD was pretty neat and gave jocks a lot of flexibility in the studio.

I think I still have a portable Sony MD around here somewhere. Haven’t fired it up in a while. I had to use MD format to send a program that I produced, to the streamcasting service that hosted programming. This was in early 2000’s.

W4: Yes, they indeed broadcasted in quad for a few years.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:34 pm

WOHO wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:27 pm
Wasn't the original W4 Detroit one of the few to ever broadcast in Quad? Quad vinyl is sweet. Have a Percy Faith Quad LP that even in stereo has a wonderful "sound stage", especially with headphones on.
W4 did in Detroit but WNRZ later WIQB was the first in the country I do believe to broadcast in Quad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic