Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CKLW’s Influences On Toledo and Cleveland Ratings

Here's your place to reminisce about classic radio and television. Want to share memories of The Big 8? How about J.P. McCarthy? Do it here!
Deleted User 14803

CKLW’s Influences On Toledo and Cleveland Ratings

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Knowing how Big CKLW was in the Big 8 days, did they knock out any Toledo or Cleveland Top 40 Stations out of first place or did they cause any format changes In those 2 markets way back then?

innate-in-you

Re: CKLW’s Influences On Toledo and Cleveland Ratings

Post by innate-in-you » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm

I've heard/read more than once that CKLW did reach #1 rank in Cleveland in some form in the 1960s. I do remember hearing commercials for department stores in Cleveland (and Erie, PA!) back in the day.

Not sure how well they did in Toledo. They were certainly strong enough there during the day, but night was another story, as they had to protect the 800 border blaster in Cd. Juarez.

CKLW's signal in Toledo was (is) still the strongest on 800, but it was much weaker than the daytime signal (I'm guessing about 3mV/m). One could hear PJB under it between songs.

In fact, Kahn mailed tapes to AM radio stations, promoting their independent-sideband stereo system, using a recording of CKLW (Harris stereo), at night, recorded in Toledo as a demonstration of platform motion.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm
I've heard/read more than once that CKLW did reach #1 rank in Cleveland in some form in the 1960s. I do remember hearing commercials for department stores in Cleveland (and Erie, PA!) back in the day.

Not sure how well they did in Toledo. They were certainly strong enough there during the day, but night was another story, as they had to protect the 800 border blaster in Cd. Juarez.

CKLW's signal in Toledo was (is) still the strongest on 800, but it was much weaker than the daytime signal (I'm guessing about 3mV/m). One could hear PJB under it between songs.

In fact, Kahn mailed tapes to AM radio stations, promoting their independent-sideband stereo system, using a recording of CKLW (Harris stereo), at night, recorded in Toledo as a demonstration of platform motion.
Do you have one of the promotional barf bags to use when disoriented by the platform motion like a Led Zeppelin production?

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:59 pm

As I recall, way back when, in '67, CKLW would give the temperature in Toledo in the Daytime and the temperature in Cleveland at Night. If you look at Regional Hits on ARSA Surveys, you'll see that CKLW had a profound effect on Playlists in Cleveland. Also, Windsor, CT and New Haven, CT from the Eastern Lobe equivalent in IDF to a Nondirectional Class I-A station. Once you got about 20 Miles from Lodi, CKLW would start to come in in far suburban NYC, and when you tuned or jostled the dial, the kids would discover it. The late great Ed Buterbaugh knew all about that. The late great Rick Sklar probably knew but didn't care, he had attorneys to answer to for imagined Payola, and truly imagined "stiffs" to avoid like the plague.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZcbkieZ1JY

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Art ,CK was more stronger in Toledo than Detroit?

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Realize that CKLW was and is only the equivalent of 5 kW nondirectional to many parts of Detroit Metro to the NW during the Day, and even more at Night. The IDF toward Toledo Days exceeds WJR's inverse field. Parts of Detroit Metro, particularly at Night further away to the NW, were less than Toledo in the Daytime. Actual FI measurements I did years ago showed CKLW slightly weaker Days, and slightly stronger Nights, than WJR, in Macomb County, about due North from CKLW.

Here's a map which shows you that Toledo definitely gets a better signal from CKLW Days than parts of Metro Detroit.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... AM&s=F&h=D

Nights.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... AM&s=F&h=N

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks, Art

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:10 am

Arthur Mometer wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:55 pm
innate-in-you wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Do you have one of the promotional barf bags to use when disoriented by the platform motion like a Led Zeppelin production?
No barf bag, just the audio Compact Cassette. A gift from an engineer at an AM station, who was also a radio amateur, as I.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:26 am

First of all, Leonard Kahn literally invented AM Stereo, unless you count using two stations to produce Stereo. But Leonard should have had better promotion and legal representation. His views on AM Stereo were hyperbolic. Other systems were not horrible. And the R-L subcarrier HAD to phase modulate the carrier to produce the waveform, when R.NE.L. Kahn himself showed it in an earlier article on FCC-SSB, showing how one channel phase modulated the carrier.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic