Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rimshots

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
ftballfan

Re: Rimshots

Post by ftballfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 am

syntheticexctasy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:23 am
bmw wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:28 pm
TheForce wrote:I am able to get WKQZ and WCEN here in Grayling. I have actually got WKQZ as far as Cadillac!
That is in-part due to WKQZ's luxury of being the only station in the entire state, both Upper and Lower Peninsula, broadcasting on the 93.3 frequency. Speaking of which, how did they get so lucky? That's quite remarkable that they are the only station, both full-power, and low-power, broadcasting on that frequency. 95.9 looks to be the only other frequency with that distinction, though they do have a 12kw station in Windsor.
I can attest to KQZ's awesome coverage - it covers most anything north and east of the US23 and I75 interchange. I've even heard it pretty well travelling I-69 out to Lansing. I often listen to WKQZ in the woods outside Mio and as far north as Hillman and Atlanta, but as soon as you get into town (where there's interference and height issues) you lose it. I don't have much experience west of 75, but I have heard of others over towards the west side of the state hearing it quite regularly.

You're not the only one who's noticed that they're alone in the state on that freq (aside from W227CG Grand rapids, but I don't think that counts LOL) If WDRQ didn't have IBOC, I suspect WKQZ would penetrate further south as well. They do pretty well with their 39kw.
There is a translator in Jackson on 93.3 as well.

95.9 has two stations on it (WLKM in Three Rivers and WLJW in Fife Lake; WKZC was originally on 95.9 before moving to 94.9 years ago). 106.5 only has one full power station in MI (WVFM Kalamazoo)

Arthur Mometer

Re: Rimshots

Post by Arthur Mometer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:25 am

If you look at an old list of FM stations by frequency in an old Broadcasting Yearbook, you'll see that 93.3 and other frequencies were nearly always less occupied. One reason is the preclusive effect of the general set of Big City frequencies {92.3, 93.1, 93.9,...,107.5} precluding first adjacent Class Bs for 105 miles, though plenty squeezed in (now short spaced) before the rules were changed. It was much easier to squeeze in a dedicated Class A channel, like 93.5, which also precluded 93.3 for 65 miles.

Remember that WKQZ began as WRCI on 93.5, a 3 kW Class A, and upgraded to 93.3 as a Class C2. The tower was out on Badour Rd. SW of Midland. In order to upgrade to C2, they had to be 105 miles from WDRQ on 93.1, now both owned by Cumulus.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic