Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze (Soft AC) is here!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
format this

Re: 98.7 The Breeze (Soft AC) is here!

Post by format this » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:05 am

option1 wrote:You now have a 3 share of displaced listeners that aren’t going to be listening to the breeze. ‘KQI can take a victory lap as they will surely benefit from the flip.
... and 98.7 could pick up new listeners from the mainstream AC, hot AC, classic hits and in some aspects, an aging classic rock listener looking for a change. The teen 3 share is history, and I think from an advertising angle, that’s a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 am

Please hire Kevin O'Neill and Chris Edmonds. I hope they are live and local all day and evening long. I also hope they don't bring in cheap, out of town or inexperienced air talent and actually hire some Detroit veterans that people would care to listen to. That's probably too much to ask tough considering they still don't have a full-time midday host over at WYCD since canning Roxanne Steele months ago.

I'd like to see an on-air lineup of something similar to this (which I know has zero chance of happening) . . .

Mornings: Kevin & Lisa with Kevin O'Neill and Lisa Jesswin
Middays: Mike Scott
Afternoons: Chris Edmonds
Nights: Sandy Kovach
Weekends/Swing: Lisa-Lisa Orlando

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 am

Sandy Kovach should def be a part of this. They could have something here, I like what I am hearing mostly.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:42 am

The station recently has been closer to a 2.5 share. Same type of ratings DRQ had when it dumped CHR/Pop.

98.7's demos were never good on a consistent basis. Station seldom cracked the top eight in Adults 18 to 34. Those are just pitiful numbers for a CHR.

I think The Bounce demoted 98.7 to P3 status (or worse) for a chunk of 95.5's P1s.

WKQI should easily be a 6.5 share worthy radio station now.

There is another 105.1 angle to consider. If hip-hop throwback fatigue sets in here, the demise of Amp now provides 105.1 some wiggle room to add rhythm currents and recurrents.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:39 am
Please hire Kevin O'Neill and Chris Edmonds. I hope they are live and local all day and evening long. I also hope they don't bring in cheap, out of town or inexperienced air talent and actually hire some Detroit veterans that people would care to listen to. That's probably too much to ask tough considering they still don't have a full-time midday host over at WYCD since canning Roxanne Steele months ago.

I'd like to see an on-air lineup of something similar to this (which I know has zero chance of happening) . . .

Mornings: Kevin & Lisa with Kevin O'Neill and Lisa Jesswin
Middays: Mike Scott
Afternoons: Chris Edmonds
Nights: Sandy Kovach
Weekends/Swing: Lisa-Lisa Orlando
MW posted earlier that Cadillac Jack is the new YCD midday host.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:08 am

They're playing "If I Could Turn Back Time". It has just earned a preset.

-TurkeyTop

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:19 am

STUPID move by Entercom. Should've let "Rudolph Network" run through Christmas Day before flipping 98.7 to Soft AC. Now, we will have to suffer through 4.5 weeks of lame Christmas music again this year on 104.3...I've tried over the past couple years to convince Tim, and the other powers that be at Entercom, that it's a waste of time and effort to compete with WNIC for the Christmas demo. This is how I predict the Holiday ratings book to turn out this year: 1. WNIC - 13.3 share 2. WCSX - 7.2 share 3. WOMC - 6.8 share (without Christmas music), 6.2 share (with Christmas music) Maybe they'll listen to me NEXT year? I wonder if consultant Gary Berkowitz is behind this self-defeating behavior? ...or maybe they'll achieve more ad revenue (with lower numbers) by going all-Christmas? BAH=HUMBUG! :barf
Last edited by non-anon bob on Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:30 am

Entercom announced the launch of 987 "The Breeze" on Tuesday, which will replace Top-40 station 98.7 AMP Radio in the Detroit area.

The station will provide the Detroit region with relaxing favorites at work with hits from artists like Elton John, Fleetwood Mac and Boyz II Men to Adele, Alicia Keys and Sara Bareilles.

“We are excited to launch 987 The Breeze and to fill this void in the Motor City’s music scene,” said Debbie Kenyon, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Entercom Detroit. “We know the station will become a must-listen to make your work day breeze by.”

987 The Breeze is celebrating its launch by playing 10,000 songs commercial-free, starting today at 5:00 p.m.

From 2017: Metro Detroit FM radio station 106.7 WDTW switches formats

Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 am

I'm really enjoying this.
A friend of mine Chris made a great point....
Since Iheart beat Entercom to the punch with "alt" on 106.7, "the Breeze" name generally is ihearts new fad with launches in San Francisco and Philly, Entercom's given a tit for tat and flipped to get back at them with the name at least.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Yeah, how dare iFart beat Entercom to the punch with "Alt" !

I'm sure Entercom regrets not having a 50 kW FM station that is an absolute cellar dweller in the ratings. :hat

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:31 pm

Entercom should move Stephen and JoAnn to 98.7, move Beau to the morning slot on WOMC, move JJ to drive time, and put Pam Rossi on middays.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:19 am
I've tried over the past couple years to convince Tim, and the other powers that be at Entercom, that it's a waste of time and effort to compete with WNIC for the Christmas demo. Maybe they'll listen to me NEXT year?
Yeah I'll bet that's exactly what happens chief.
:rollin

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Stephen and JoAnn would be a good fit for the new 98.7.

However, I'd prefer a music intensive morning drive, similar to the old V98.7.

hmtb44

Post by hmtb44 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:15 pm

I agree Stephen and Joann would be a great fit on 98.7. The on air people from Amp, are posting on social media that they are no longer part of 98.7

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Shit. Upon reading through this thread, it looks like a mostly popular choice among us radio nerds. That can't be good for the long run lol

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic