Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Is this something that Comcast could fix?

Topics of general interest that just don't fit anywhere else.
tapeisrolling

Is this something that Comcast could fix?

Post by tapeisrolling » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:18 pm

When watching TV via cable the picture is cut off on both sides. When it contains words, many times they are chopped off. The picture framing that the TV offers does not fill the missing area. When watching over the air it is ok, but that's the way it is broadcast.
Why doesn't the cable company letterbox the picture so it can contain what is being seen in the standard signal?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Is this something that Comcast could fix?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm

Is this happening on all channels are just certain channels? On hi-def channels or standard-def channels?

I know in the Grand Rapids area, the issue you just described happens regularly when watching WWMT (CBS channel 3) in standard definition.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Since I won't pay for hi-def via cable I deal with the view that Comcast feeds. I do get OTA on one screen and it is fine. Channel 62 is the worst offender on the cable view. I compared the others viewing both ways and none of the others have an obvious problem with chopping that makes watching agonizing like 62. A good example is with todays election at the bottom only the 'gn' of the word 'campaign' show up.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Have the same problem with Charter standard-def. (Free HD, my ass!)

WXMI and WWMT get full-screen cutoff (except during NFL games!?!). WOOD-TV and WZZM, among others, are "letterboxed" so the full widescreen signal is shown (albeit with a black space at the top and bottom of the picture). It may be up to the individual stations as to what is done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic