Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Being pro-police

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
DAC

Re: Being pro-police

Post by DAC » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:16 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:DAC, why would you call the minority, unarmed, innocent SVSU student from Detroit and everyone else that I have described having a bad experience with cops a criminal? The police and prosecutor tried to make the SVSU student a criminal, but he stood up for his rights and won.

If you want to take the police's side on this, be my guest. But it's wrong.
I wasn't talking about that case in particular, just your nearly comical way of pointing out every kind of story like this you can get your hands on and pass it off as the norm. It's NOT the norm. As someone pointed out, you can pick whatever group you want and you will find misdeeds and other problems. Why don't you pick accountants next? Perhaps because that kind of news doesn't make the tongues wag like these "hot topic" kinds of stories do. If you were able to ride along with a police officer, you'd see what the actual norm is, and it's not pretty.

As for the instance you mentioned in your quote: Since you brought it up, when the cop attempted to pull him over, he didn't know if it was an unarmed minority or not. The trouble didn't start until the guy did NOT pull over, which is the law that he broke. Is it a bad law? Possibly. Is driving to a well lit place a safer option? Probably. But until the law is changed, not stopping when an officer pulls you over is breaking the law. Police are supposed to uphold the law, weather it's common sense or not. That's their job. Changing the laws so that they are safer and make more sense is the job of lawmakers. The prosecutor (again, not police) obviously misfired on this one, but last I checked this has resolved.

Have you considered putting your passion about this topic into lobbying for a change in the law, rather than bellyaching about the news coverage being pro-police (and pointing out errors on tv news websites)? The energy is going to waste.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:45 pm

You tell em DAC...

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 pm

I could say "The cow jumped over the moon" and you'd say "Thanks for proving my point". You aren't accomplishing anything. This topic is going on "ignore".

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:28 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:Thanks for proving my point.

Cows jumping over the moon are more likely than police to treat innocent citizens with respect.
Air brush stuck on high again?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

WhatIsNews

Post by WhatIsNews » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:15 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:Just another day of cops protecting and serving....or punching pregnant women in the stomach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nom_vX6lAzk
No one is arguing that there aren't bad police out there, but this anecdotal evidence thing is killing me.

I can play this game, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/0 ... 05752.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/1 ... 41520.html
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/new ... k_2014_sfp
https://www.facebook.com/tbrownabc7/vid ... =2&theater

Oh, I forgot, you don't want "pro-police" news.

NoozDude

Post by NoozDude » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:Nothing to see here, just one of Texas' finest pulling a black woman out of her car for not putting out her cigarette, telling her "good" when she said she had epilepsy, and now she's dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8GR3OO9mU

#blacklivesmatter
:roll: Here's another version of the same story with a little bit more information posted on NBCNEWS.COM.
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new ... st-n396191

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:30 am

I agree this time, but this is wrong forum.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:20 pm

The lad shouldn't be dead. The cop acted too quickly and a jury of 12 will decide his fate.
But when you break in to vehicles high on PCP, stab the tire of a cop car, skip down a busy 4 lane street in Chicago then pull a knife out when 3 cop cars arrive ignoring their commends getting killed is one distinct possible outcome.
I declare the cop 65% to blame and the victim 35% to blame for his own death.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Eddie the Dead

Post by Eddie the Dead » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:24 pm

Should the 17 year old have been shot for his actions... absolutely.
Should he have been shot at and hit numerous times after he fell to the ground… probably not.
Let the jury decide the officer’s fate.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Eddie the Dead wrote:Should the 17 year old have been shot for his actions... absolutely.
I had 3 cops at my house yesterday for Thanksgiving. This case was not discussed. I only mention it for some context to my post.
A cop only uses deadly force when they feel either their life or the life of some innocent party is in immediate danger. Its a bit hard to imagine that was the case right then and there. The dead guy had moved one entire lane away from the cops as he moved down the road. So while he was moving in their general direction as opposed to the opposite direction he was still moving at an angle that would widen rather than narrow the gap. When you fire your weapon it is by definition a deadly force action. Police are trained that if you shoot you shoot to kill. There is no winging people in the arm or leg. That's just TV stuff. The 16 rounds certainly seems excessive but the goal upon pulling the trigger is death, even if its one round.

Eddie the Dead

Post by Eddie the Dead » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:17 pm

Sorry craig. I guess we don’t see eye to eye with the first sentence of my post. However, I think we’re on the same page with the rest of it. Even though our opinions are not the same, I’ll respect your point of view and leave it at that.
May you and your family have a happy holiday... and I’m not trying to be sarcastic.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:35 am

I think both are responsible, but dropping the knife would have been a good start. I do feel the cop used excessive force by firing the gun and he should serve time for manslaughter.

I think the PA case with a female cop was worse than this one. She was clearly in over her head and killed an un-armed older man that was only trying to run away. She was acquitted and wants to return to police work - let hope it's only a desk job.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 am

lovinlife101 wrote:Cop rolls up. Black guy walks away from cop. Six seconds later black guy has 16 bullets in him.
Your middle sentence is not remotely accurate. The distance between him and the cops was getting smaller not larger. As I stated earlier he was not walking directly at them but was walking in their general direction shortening the gap between them. Its simple geometry.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:14 am

Eddie the Dead wrote:Sorry craig. I guess we don’t see eye to eye with the first sentence of my post. However, I think we’re on the same page with the rest of it. Even though our opinions are not the same, I’ll respect your point of view and leave it at that.
May you and your family have a happy holiday... and I’m not trying to be sarcastic.
No problem, we agree to disagree and I hope your holiday went well. :blink

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:18 am

lovinlife101 wrote:So carrying a knife and walking away from a cop is grounds for murdering someone?
You are stretching the truth to fit your agenda. As I pointed out earlier he was not walking away he was closing the gap, at an angle, but closing it none the less. and he wasn't just carrying a knife, he pulled it out of his pocket, a knife he had used earlier to slash tires.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic